The Student Room Group

Can I submit the same essay for Robson and Julia Wood History Prizes?

Does that constitute plagiarism?
Original post by evar12345
Does that constitute plagiarism?

You cannot plagiarise yourself. However, individual competitions might have rules about submissions being unique to themselves - you should check.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
You cannot plagiarise yourself. However, individual competitions might have rules about submissions being unique to themselves - you should check.

I tried to, but I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated this. Although one statement did claim that I must certify to not submit the essay for any "public examination". I'm not quite certain what they mean by that...
Original post by evar12345
I tried to, but I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated this. Although one statement did claim that I must certify to not submit the essay for any "public examination". I'm not quite certain what they mean by that...

I presume that just means to can't use a coursework essay.

Isn't there someone you can email to ask?
Reply 4
Original post by RayApparently
I presume that just means to can't use a coursework essay.

Isn't there someone you can email to ask?

I did email them. But their response seemed evasive. I gather you're right about their implied meaning being coursework; it does make sense. Thanks a ton!

But the thing is, I'm an international student and my school curriculum doesn't have essays per se. So anything I write for competitions or written work would have to be done independently. I'm not sure, in that case, how they'd respond.
I don't think you would contravene any rules - they are probably used to getting 'double entries'. I suspect that the Julia Wood judges will be well aware of the questions for the Robson prize.
Reply 6
Thank you!
Reply 7
For anyone who stumbles upon this thread hereafter, I can confirm that I emailed the university and they say that one can indeed submit the same essay for both competitions.

Quick Reply

Latest