The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

What Is Life Like At Leicester?

Hi all, I am hoping to apply to study law at Leicester from September 2017, however I am unable to visit one of the open days so I am relying on information on the website, prospectus and on The Student Room.I wondered if anyone was able to tell me what life is like in Leicester? How are the people, the university, the city, the nightlife, etc. I want to get a real feel of what life is like as a student here before I make my final decision.Hope you can all help!George :biggrin:
Original post by GeorgeB16
Hi all, I am hoping to apply to study law at Leicester from September 2017, however I am unable to visit one of the open days so I am relying on information on the website, prospectus and on The Student Room.I wondered if anyone was able to tell me what life is like in Leicester? How are the people, the university, the city, the nightlife, etc. I want to get a real feel of what life is like as a student here before I make my final decision.Hope you can all help!George :biggrin:

Hiya!

I started at Leicester Uni back in 2011, and stayed there for my Undergraduate and Masters (leaving in 2015).

The people are nice - the tutors expect a lot of you but are also really friendly and helpful. I'd definitely go into the halls at Oadby if you can - they may not be the nicest rooms but you'll make friends for life in the first couple of weeks of Freshers! :woo: Oadby is also a beautiful part of town, the main road which all the halls of residence come off is lovely and leafy and green (if you look on google maps at the road it'll give you an idea).

There is also a large middle eastern population so there is a large range of fantastic restaurants around the city. My favourite thing is that due to the non-drinking muslim population, there are a number of late night desert shops like Madisons. I found this an interesting quirk that I hadn't seen before in my city.

The university is a small campus, but this makes it a lot easier to navigate than a large campus uni. The library is really nice, it was a new development when I went so is really modern. It can get quite busy though. Pic of the library below:

Spoiler

The city is just like your normal city really. It has all the chains that you would expect and a shopping center, then a more quirky bit with independent shops and cafes.

The nightlife is pretty good. The uni puts on two nights at the O2 arena which is on campus - on Wednesdays there's Letz Disko (an awful name :lol: ) which plays throwback hits from the 90s and 00s, and on Friday nights there's a night called Shabang which is a generic pop night. In frehsers you'll probably end up going there quite a lot, as it's a good way to meet other people from the uni and everyone goes.

If you fancy something in the town, my favourite club was Mosh which is a bit more indie than the nights on at uni (plus they have really cheap drinks). There's also Republic, which is a bit more R&B, although they have loads of different rooms which play different genres of music.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head - if you can think of any other questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them! :smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Fox Corner
Hiya!

I started at Leicester Uni back in 2011, and stayed there for my Undergraduate and Masters (leaving in 2015).

The people are nice - the tutors expect a lot of you but are also really friendly and helpful. I'd definitely go into the halls at Oadby if you can - they may not be the nicest rooms but you'll make friends for life in the first couple of weeks of Freshers! :woo: Oadby is also a beautiful part of town, the main road which all the halls of residence come off is lovely and leafy and green (if you look on google maps at the road it'll give you an idea).

There is also a large middle eastern population so there is a large range of fantastic restaurants around the city. My favourite thing is that due to the non-drinking muslim population, there are a number of late night desert shops like Madisons. I found this an interesting quirk that I hadn't seen before in my city.

The university is a small campus, but this makes it a lot easier to navigate than a large campus uni. The library is really nice, it was a new development when I went so is really modern. It can get quite busy though. Pic of the library below:

Spoiler

The city is just like your normal city really. It has all the chains that you would expect and a shopping center, then a more quirky bit with independent shops and cafes.

The nightlife is pretty good. The uni puts on two nights at the O2 arena which is on campus - on Wednesdays there's Letz Disko (an awful name :lol: ) which plays throwback hits from the 90s and 00s, and on Friday nights there's a night called Shabang which is a generic pop night. In frehsers you'll probably end up going there quite a lot, as it's a good way to meet other people from the uni and everyone goes.

If you fancy something in the town, my favourite club was Mosh which is a bit more indie than the nights on at uni (plus they have really cheap drinks). There's also Republic, which is a bit more R&B, although they have loads of different rooms which play different genres of music.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head - if you can think of any other questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them! :smile:

HI there,

Just wondering what student accommodation you would recommend for an international postgraduate student? I really only have 3 choices which is Freemans, Opal and Nixon - price wise I'm leaning more towards Freemans since its cheaper but Nixon looks way better. Any information would be helpful! Also the library looks amazing - looking forward to spending majority of my days there.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending