The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Architecture-er
Perhaps the CP curves are specific to the pokemon species but relate to each other within that species,

Yes.

But then again that would mean certain pokemon species can simply be higher than other species

Yes that is how it works. Fair Schmair I guess!
Original post by nexttime
There is.

A cap that increases with level?

By "no CP cap", I meant no cap aside from the one they hit when they max out. And I was under the impression that the max CP cap was the same for all Pokemon of one species, with certain species having a much higher CP cap than others and therefore being naturally stronger.... a Snorlax vs a Pidgey, for example.

I haven't maxed out a Pokemon yet, so if this isn't how it works i'd love to know how it does :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah that's frustrating, if it's on a truly individual basis we can't really gauge what is a pokemon with lots of CP potential in that case..

Perhaps the CP curves are specific to the pokemon species but relate to each other within that species, I have level 734 and 726 Golbats and their curve points are identical, but then my 833 Pinsir has the same curve point as them.

But then again that would mean certain pokemon species can simply be higher than other species which wouldn't be fair... so maybe the best strategy is to intuitively hunt for high-CP pokemon with as low a CP curve point as possible relative to their level... so they have the maximum growth potential

Yes, a curve relates to how strong the Pokemon is compared to other Pokemon of the same species. And yes, some species are stronger than other species. As for fairness, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Of course different Pokemon will have different stats, the same way that an Arcanine is always going to be stronger than a Pidgey :tongue:.

Btw guys, here is a list of all the Pokemon and the maximum CP that they can have:
http://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon-list
Original post by Cll_ws
A cap that increases with level?

By "no CP cap", I meant no cap aside from the one they hit when they max out. And I was under the impression that the max CP cap was the same for all Pokemon of one species, with certain species having a much higher CP cap than others and therefore being naturally stronger.... a Snorlax vs a Pidgey, for example.

I haven't maxed out a Pokemon yet, so if this isn't how it works i'd love to know how it does :tongue:

Basically you can max out a pokemon, then when you level up as a trainer then the cap gets increased a bit. So I can max pokemon out to around the 1000 range, a level 20 can max them out to around 1400, etc. But when I get to 20 I can increase my 1000s up to 1400
Original post by tomtjl
Yes, a curve relates to how strong the Pokemon is compared to other Pokemon of the same species. And yes, some species are stronger than other species. As for fairness, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Of course different Pokemon will have different stats, the same way that an Arcanine is always going to be stronger than a Pidgey :tongue:.

Btw guys, here is a list of all the Pokemon and the maximum CP that they can have:
http://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon-list

I suppose, but you're using a strawman :p: , better would be to say an Arcanine will always be stronger than a Pidgeot which I think would restrict the amount of freedom players have in creating their rosters, of course people will still want the rarest pokemon but if you could luck out and find a really high-potential Beedrill or something that could be stronger than an aerodactyl, that would keep people interested for far longer

Thanks for the link, very interesting! Though those max CPs aren't that high..? I'm sure I saw higher in the beta

The pokemon-specific charts are the most interesting imo, they allow one to roughly estimate how strong their pokemon is on that species' sliding scale
(edited 7 years ago)
I suppose, but you're using a strawman :p: , better would be to say an Arcanine will always be stronger than a Pidgeot which I think would restrict the amount of freedom players have in creating their rosters, of course people will still want the rarest pokemon but if you could luck out and find a really high-potential Beedrill or something that could be stronger than an aerodactyl, that would keep people interested for far longer

Thanks for the link, very interesting! Though those max CPs aren't that high..? I'm sure I saw higher in the beta

The pokemon-specific charts are the most interesting imo, they allow one to roughly estimate how strong their pokemon is on that species' sliding scale

It's not a strawman, it's just an extreme example. In the games, anime, manga etc some Pokemon are clearly naturally stronger than others and as such will have a higher average and maximum CP. It's not quite right to say an Arcanine will always be stronger than a Pidgeot, as you could have a max. Pidgeot and a very low Arcanine, but just that, on average, Arcanine will be stronger due to the higher max. CP.

There's still plenty of room for variation within the game, as CP isn't the only factor. At the top end of the list you have: Lapras, Vaporeon, Gyarados, Blastoise, Poliwrath and Golduck that are all water Pokemon so any team will probably contain only 1 of those 6 that are high CP. Do this for all 6 Pokemon and there is still plenty of room for variation, just as there were in the games.

Also, dat 4k CP Mewtwo tho :drool:
Finally heard a mention of this by the passing public... at a Lidl
Catching Magikarps outside my house like 😂😂😂
Original post by PQ
Ok so I found an eevee on my way home last night. Can anyone explain which of the three names would be the best choice?

I guess it depends on what you're most commonly seeing in local gyms and what would be the best counter.. I live near a park so there's a ton of pidgeys, grass, bug and water pokemon - so I would be best off going for a jolteon (effective vs flying and water). Also electric pokemon are least common in my experience, followed by fire and then water being common as hell.

Fire could be an option, but the prevalence of water pokemon (being one of the few types you can actually target hunt) would make it less useful in my opinion
I got a Pikachu! :biggrin:
Original post by cupcakes87
I got a Pikachu! :biggrin:

[video="youtube;cMy_FHt2yIU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMy_FHt2yIU[/video]
Original post by Cll_ws
I don't think there is a CP cap at any level. Theoretically, you could have 1072CP Hypno at level 5, it would just cost you an insane amount of stardust to do it, which most people don't have at that stage.

Once you reach the higher levels you can find higher CP Pokemon in the wild which will require less stardust/candy to max them out. Once they are maxed out though, i'm fairly sure that's as strong as they'll get regardless of level.

You forget that there is a limit to how many upgrades you can do at a certain level, not to mention the startdust cap based on level, unless there is a way of getting it I don't know about

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm still on Lvl 3 (Trainer), can you battle each other later on?
Original post by Adami97
I'm still on Lvl 3 (Trainer), can you battle each other later on?

I think that's a feature they're hoping to implement, but I'm not certain.
In case anyone wanted to know, the original pokemon series is on netflix!! :woo:
In case anyone wanted to know, the original pokemon series is on netflix!! :woo:

Well, I know what I'm doing when not working now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gogregg
I think that's a feature they're hoping to implement, but I'm not certain.

Seeing as its the one thing people want the most Id say so. Personally i hope for the classic turn based system rather than the screen smashing finger jab that is taking over the gym
Haven't been able to play properly for days, either the servers will be down or every time I catch a Pokemon it freezes. Yesterday had a new screen with a picture of the Pokemon gang and something about the servers being humbled. It's too frustrating to try and play it, I'm gonna give it a few days and hopefully things will get sorted out.*
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Haven't been able to play properly for days, either the servers will be down or every time I catch a Pokemon it freezes. Yesterday had a new screen with a picture of the Pokemon gang and something about the servers being humbled. It's too frustrating to try and play it, I'm gonna give it a few days and hopefully things will get sorted out.*

Same, I'm stuck on level 9 because it keeps crashing or not even loading so I give up

Quick Reply

Latest