The Student Room Group

BREXIT: Second referendum more likely now....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FredOrJohn
Second Referendum more likely now because:

a) Both Labour challengers to Corbyn say they support a second referendum, this time on the "deal" arranged by Boris.

b) LibDems have already said they will be campaigning on REMAIN or return.

c) The second referendum petition will be heard by MPs in parliament (5th September).

d) The government only have a majority of 12 (will not take many by-elections or defections to clobber that).

e) Boris is already on record of being in favour of second referendum.

Thus if REMAIN organise massive demonstration in London on 5th of September (date of the parliament debate) if might , it might just swing it a bit..

I mean anyone can tell the economy is potentially shot to pieces, its like the lull before the storm hits the fan.

lol, I wish I had the energy to pick these terrible arguments apart, but, alas, I don't.

I think I'll see pigs and Diane Abbott flying outside of my window before there is a second referendum.
Reply 61
Original post by Cadherin
lol, I wish I had the energy to pick these terrible arguments apart, but, alas, I don't.

I think I'll see pigs and Diane Abbott flying outside of my window before there is a second referendum.

Owen Smith has now made it his policy (second referendum or election on results )

He stands a 25% to 30% chance of becoming Labour Leader BEFORE the petition for the second referendum gets its discussion in parliament.

With 4 million signatures, Labour on board, LibDems on board, Torys like Ken Clarke, SNP quite keen on multiple referendum I would think your "terrible argument picking" is looking like a sour loser position

I think you need to reconsider your view.
Never mind Brexit, I wonder when ForJexit will occur.
He stands a 25% to 30% chance of becoming Labour Leader

He. Won't. Get. In.

He won't beat Corbyn.

Whether or not this causes a split between the grassroots and parliamentary Labour party, and the knock on effects thereafter, remains to be seen, but this profound effect you think it'll have on any EU referendum is only in your head.

I live in a constituency that is Labour as you could find. It's Oldham council. I don't think they've ever returned a Conservative MP, it's as red as you could find in the country.
60℅ voted to leave.

Your London-centric and London obsessed metropolitan elitist views are not shared around the country and that's why you'll continue to lose.
May only be a majority of 12, but you can add the 8 DUP, 2 UUP and Douglas Carswell to that as well.
Reply 65
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
May only be a majority of 12, but you can add the 8 DUP, 2 UUP and Douglas Carswell to that as well.

Northern Ireland voted REMAIN...
But also Ken Clarke Cons will vote against Brexit.

I doubt that there is anywhere near a majority for Brexit. We know this to be true, because Brexiters are fighting tooth and nail to stop parliament from voting on the issue..

And I was in Sheffield over last few days - nearly 100% people there are now remain. Phew!
Original post by Karosan
Cities with the same elitism that there is in London.

Well isn't that convenient for your argument.

Belfast Liverpool and Glasgow at least are famously not rich places. The main difference is none of them read the Sun very much.
Depends. Do some Brexit voters want a second vote? It was Brexit by a small margin and some did vote based on certain lies. Ultimately it's down to them, if they feel they want a second vote this time with a better picture of what they're voting for.
Honestly, I voted Leave previously, but since the market crash and FTSE 100 hitting an 11 month high, I wouldn't be against having a second ref and voting to Remain as money has already been made.
Northern Ireland voted REMAIN...
But also Ken Clarke Cons will vote against Brexit.

I doubt that there is anywhere near a majority for Brexit. We know this to be true, because Brexiters are fighting tooth and nail to stop parliament from voting on the issue..

And I was in Sheffield over last few days - nearly 100% people there are now remain. Phew!

150 Tories are for Brexit
The 10 mentioned - but would DUP?
50 Labour

Gives a 2/3 in majority if MPs vote according to conscience. Question is will Labour and Tory MPs pander to their constituents or not.

It would be nice to see a cross reference of Leave/Remain MPs with Leave/Remain constituencies to try to gauge what the effect would in theory be.
Original post by scrotgrot
150 Tories are for Brexit
The 10 mentioned - but would DUP?
50 Labour

Gives a 2/3 in majority if MPs vote according to conscience. Question is will Labour and Tory MPs pander to their constituents or not.

It would be nice to see a cross reference of Leave/Remain MPs with Leave/Remain constituencies to try to gauge what the effect would in theory be.

Tories will have a 3 line whip to vote for Brexit, the Corbyn 40 and DUP will also vote for it so that's enough to compensate for the few naughty Tories who defy May.

We've left.
Owen Smith has now made it his policy (second referendum or election on results )

He stands a 25% to 30% chance of becoming Labour Leader BEFORE the petition for the second referendum gets its discussion in parliament.

With 4 million signatures, Labour on board, LibDems on board, Torys like Ken Clarke, SNP quite keen on multiple referendum I would think your "terrible argument picking" is looking like a sour loser position

I think you need to reconsider your view.

You're making foolish assumptions here my friend.

Firstly, you're assuming Labour will get elected in the next ten years, which, haha, let's face it, a Lib Dem comeback is probably more likely at this stage.

Secondly, you're assuming Parliament wouldn't follow the will of the people upon a vote - let me tell you, they would support the will of direct democracy in this case if they want a chance of keeping their political careers! The only people who might not are the SNP, Plaid and a few on the Labour left.

Thirdly, you're assuming a second referendum would no longer advocate Brexit (I think it would by a greater margin).

Fourthly, you're assuming a mandate for a second referendum will get through Parliament as, with no ability for retrospective legislation, there is nothing to suggest invalidity of the first one as no thresholds for turnout and margins were set.

Fifthly, you're assuming Jeremy Corbyn won't remain leader - looking at opinion polling of members who have omov, it seems as if he'll stay.

And, while not an assumption, 4 million with many fraudulent signatures vs 17 million is really no contest lol. Moreover, the petition is invalid as it asks for retrospective legislation.

You're calling me a sour loser lol? You are the one who lost the referendum and are now moaning about it. :tongue:

We got our Brexit, cheer up my friend! :biggrin:
Reply 72
Original post by Cadherin
You're making foolish assumptions here my friend.

Firstly, you're assuming Labour will get elected in the next ten years, which, haha, let's face it, a Lib Dem comeback is probably more likely at this stage.

Secondly, you're assuming Parliament wouldn't follow the will of the people upon a vote - let me tell you, they would support the will of direct democracy in this case if they want a chance of keeping their political careers! The only people who might not are the SNP, Plaid and a few on the Labour left.

Thirdly, you're assuming a second referendum would no longer advocate Brexit (I think it would by a greater margin).

Fourthly, you're assuming a mandate for a second referendum will get through Parliament as, with no ability for retrospective legislation, there is nothing to suggest invalidity of the first one as no thresholds for turnout and margins were set.

Fifthly, you're assuming Jeremy Corbyn won't remain leader - looking at opinion polling of members who have omov, it seems as if he'll stay.

And, while not an assumption, 4 million with many fraudulent signatures vs 17 million is really no contest lol. Moreover, the petition is invalid as it asks for retrospective legislation.

You're calling me a sour loser lol? You are the one who lost the referendum and are now moaning about it. :tongue:

We got our Brexit, cheer up my friend! :biggrin:

Ireland had two Lisbon referendum Survived OK.
Why are Brexiters so keen not to give the people the final say on the terms of leaving?
Answer:
They know the people are now on board the REMAIN steam train.
Ireland had two Lisbon referendum Survived OK.
Why are Brexiters so keen not to give the people the final say on the terms of leaving?
Answer:
They know the people are now on board the REMAIN steam train.

The people gave their final say on the 23rd of June! Do us a favour pal and go and find a girlfriend or something, your arguments are getting beyond ridiculous now.
Original post by Life_peer
LOL, deal with it Bremainers! You've lost! :laugh:

I call them Remoaners because all they do is moan nonstop!
Original post by Rakas21
Tories will have a 3 line whip to vote for Brexit, the Corbyn 40 and DUP will also vote for it so that's enough to compensate for the few naughty Tories who defy May.

We've left.

So once again with Tories, the Party comes first and the country and people get dragged along for the ride.
Surely the streets of the country must be reeking from the smell of the dead horses constantly being flogged here?
Original post by Wōden
And remain still lost.
you dont know anything about polotics
Original post by Shaneomax
you dont know anything about polotics

You're saying remain didn't lose? Damn, you're even more in denial that FredOrJohn et. Al.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Second Referendum more likely now because:

a) Both Labour challengers to Corbyn say they support a second referendum, this time on the "deal" arranged by Boris.

b) LibDems have already said they will be campaigning on REMAIN or return.

c) The second referendum petition will be heard by MPs in parliament (5th September).

d) The government only have a majority of 12 (will not take many by-elections or defections to clobber that).

e) Boris is already on record of being in favour of second referendum.

Thus if REMAIN organise massive demonstration in London on 5th of September (date of the parliament debate) if might , it might just swing it a bit..

I mean anyone can tell the economy is potentially shot to pieces, its like the lull before the storm hits the fan.

I'll eat my own penis with some fried onions on YouTube for you if this happen.

It simply isn't going to happens, see a counsellor for your delusions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending