The Student Room Group

Why are there so many misconceptions about BLM??

As a BLM campaigner, the ignorance around the cause and ethos about this political campaign is remarkable here on TSR, at least from what I can see.

http://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

and then if you have any questions, or counter arguments I would love to hear them.

but no1 -

NO saying ‘blacks’

we are not a colour, we are people, so ‘black people’ will suffice.

thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How can you change people's beliefs /society-wide accepted beliefs?
Is it an impossible task?
Go on YT and put in BLM violence.
What you see may be what is turning people away from your organisation.
Original post by unknowntsr
As a BLM campaigner, the ignorance around the cause and ethos about this political campaign is remarkable here on TSR, at least from what I can see.

and then if you have any questions, or counter arguments I would love to hear them.

but no1 -

NO saying ‘blacks’

thanks

Yea everyone knows about the origins of the..."organisation." The issue is the actions and they don't seem to wanna admit that all the time. When admitting that it's taken a nasty turn would actually be beneficial to you.
Original post by caravaggio2
Go on YT and put in BLM violence.
What you see may be what is turning people away from your organisation.

Consider Black votes and equal rights then. Martin Luther King vs Malcolm X.

They wouldn't be in this position if inequality/mockery wasn't as widespread and as prevalent.

It's like the Freedom Fighter vs Terrorist debate.

I don't agree with violence but if it's the only way to get people to notice it then it may be used. Fighting fire with fire leads to more fire.
Reply 5
I'm sure your link will be a brilliant view of what BLM actually stand for and will include all the terrible things that your group calls for like
Segragation http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/22/black-lives-matter-slams-public-librarys-racist-ba/
And
The death of cops [video]https://youtu.be/mTuf8wAtgkA[/video]
I think it's because you're not a coherent organization, but rather a ragtag band of several different factions of the Black community getting together to express anger without a clear goal. It seems to be rooted in feelings rather than goals, solutions, or vision. Encouraging outrage without having any goal into which to channel that outrage is not constructive.

I'm willing to believe that some factions within BLM are primarily pushing for the reform of police departments and investigations into suspicious Black deaths rather than any radical or brutal ideas. Some of you may even be reasonable people willing to accept that in some cases, police are actually justified in shooting a Black person when confronted with supporting evidence that they felt threatened. Just a simple, rational campaign with level-headed people who intend to raise awareness of the fact that the Black community is suffering. Those are the members that make BLM look good, or at least reasonable and sane.

But what a lot of people say and do in the name of BLM is quite threatening and disturbing. Calling for the deaths of police and White people. The problem is that there really is no single group called BLM that you can definitely say people are inside of or outside of. Therefore, no one faction or ideology has control over the viewpoint your movement actually represents. Unfortunately, a mob mentality has taken hold of the movement and arguably co-opted any cooler heads that may have originally seen the movement as a vehicle for police department reform and the employment of more Black police officers. In fact, even Black cops are speaking against your movement now.

I do not know if BLM was radical and dangerous from the start, or what the intentions of the three women that started it were. But I will say that what it has become is extremely dangerous.

I would argue that people holding a more moderate view that want to address these problems should not align themselves with BLM, but should start a different movement

Even Hillary Clinton, a politician I have very little in common with, sees this problem clearly.

[video="youtube;ACupTJ-qx5Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACupTJ-qx5Q[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jeremy1988
I think it's because you're not a coherent organization, but rather a ragtag band of several different factions of the Black community getting together to express anger without a clear goal.

I'm willing to believe that some factions within BLM are primarily pushing for the reform of police departments and investigations into suspicious Black deaths rather than any radical or brutal ideas. Some of you may even be reasonable people willing to accept that in some cases, police are actually justified in shooting a Black person when confronted with supporting evidence that they felt threatened. Just a simple, rational campaign with level-headed people who intend to raise awareness of the fact that the Black community is suffering. Those are the members that make BLM look good, or at least reasonable and sane.

But what a lot of people say and do in the name of BLM is quite threatening and disturbing. Calling for the deaths of police and White people. The problem is that there really is no single group called BLM that you can definitely say people are inside of or outside of. Therefore, no one faction or ideology has control over the viewpoint your movement actually represents. Unfortunately, a mob mentality has taken hold of the movement and arguably co-opted any cooler heads that may have originally seen the movement as a vehicle for police department reform and the employment of more Black police officers. In fact, even Black cops are speaking against your movement now.

I do not know if BLM was radical and dangerous from the start, or what the intentions of the three women that started it were. But I will say that what it has become is extremely dangerous.

I would argue that people holding a more moderate view that want to address these problems should not align themselves with BLM, but should start a different movement.

This is probably the only well thought out counter argument to BLM I've ever seen on this website that doesn't resort to petty name calling and purposeful over exaggeration.
People are against the Black Lives Matter movement because African Americans are obsessed with pronouncing that every single obstacle the black community faces - in regard to poverty, low-income and crime - is because of a nameless and faceless myth otherwise known as institutional racism.

Last year - intentional police homicides only accounted for 2.5% of all deaths of black Americans, with unarmed and unjustified deaths only being responsible for 0.6%. The Black Lives Movement has been fixated on the notion that police officers are the single biggest threat to the black community even though a police officer is three times more likely to be shot by a black man than a black man is to be shot by a police officer.

In racial terms - black on black violence accounted for over 90% of all intentional homicides of the black community last year with 6% of the country's population (black men) being responsible for over 40% of the country's gross murders. As a total, black people - even though they represent 13% of the population - commit over 25% of the country's total crime and over 50% of the country's murders. Black people killed more white people last year than white people killed black people.

A report from the University of Pennsylvania also shows that a black police officer is three times more likely to use deadly force than a white or Hispanic officer. More so, the notion that white officers are to disproportionally responsible for the unjustifiable deaths of black Americans is a further falsity given that in 2014 19% of all unarmed shootings were instigated by an officer from a minority background, a notable example this year being the killing of Castille in Michigan who was shot by a Mexican Hispanic officer.

Black people are disproportionally involved with the justice system because they commit a disproportional amount of crime, which is a result of low income and poverty. Given that single motherhood rates in the black community are in excess of 70% - and given that young boys who grow up without a father are less likely to graduate high-school - and given that those who don't graduate high school are twelve times more likely to be in prison by the age of 30 - maybe the issue in the black community is less about police violence and more about culture.

There's no doubt that there's small pockets of American society which subscribe to the unfortunate ill that is racism. However, to say that it's the biggest factor inhibiting the prosperity of the black community is nonsense and that's why people struggle to associate themselves with the Movement, especially when they're blocking highways and creating havoc. Mexicans and Asians have been able to get into America's middle class without problem, so to blame the lack of success in the black community on institutional racism is an unfounded precedent with no systematic evidence to prove otherwise.
(edited 7 years ago)

but no1 -

NO saying ‘blacks’

thanks

It's a good opportunity for the ignorant and lazy to fail to do any objective research and instead adopt a view that supports their own intolerant agenda.

Having taken the trouble to find out what it stands for, then I cnat see any problem, especially because of the background in the US. That said there are people on both sides who enjoy making race an issue, hence you get that on full display on TSR. Less popular than the muslim bashing, but it gives them something to do.

but no1 -

NO saying ‘blacks’

thanks

Haha because it's a George Soros sponsored divide and conquer organisation that advocates violence and makes use of useful idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know the 'Hands up, don't shoot' rubbish they band about as their slogan in relation to the Michael Brown case?

Well, I did an aweful lot of reading into that, even downloading the court case, prosecution, defence and expert witness files and police forensic evidence.

Conclusion:
He did not have his hands up at the time he was shot. He was charging the officer whom he's just beated up and attempted to disarm, after robbing the off-license and telling the police to **** off.

So yeah, I kind of view them as hypocritical as well. One black guy said his brother was murdered by another black guy and #BLM was nowhere to be seen then.
(edited 7 years ago)
Stop killing police officers
Stop destroying people's communities (including your own)
If you live in the UK as opposed to America, just stop completely

Then we can talk.
The "misconceptions" are coming from people who think that Black lives don't matter.
Original post by jeremy1988
I think it's because you're not a coherent organization, but rather a ragtag band of several different factions of the Black community getting together to express anger without a clear goal. It seems to be rooted in feelings rather than goals, solutions, or vision. Encouraging outrage without having any goal into which to channel that outrage is not constructive.

I would argue that people holding a more moderate view that want to address these problems should not align themselves with BLM, but should start a different movement

Even Hillary Clinton, a politician I have very little in common with, sees this problem clearly.

[video="youtube;ACupTJ-qx5Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACupTJ-qx5Q[/video]

Do you have a percentage of those who support the movement and have supported violent views as opposed to those who have not?
Original post by WBZ144
The "misconceptions" are coming from people who think that Black lives don't matter.

Guess what? People can choose to criticise a movement or its individuals-it's called freedom of speech.
Seeing all your previous posts, you seem to possess little to no knowledge on anything political or social.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Guess what? People can choose to criticise a movement or its individuals-it's called freedom of speech.
Seeing all your previous posts, you seem to possess little to no knowledge on anything political or social.

And I can also criticise their views and call them out for what they are - it's called freedom of speech.
Original post by WBZ144
And I can also criticise their views and call them out for what they are - it's called freedom of speech.

With provocative remarks, you bring no intelligence or anything worth hearing into debates. Your argument is always getting destroyed.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
With provocative remarks, you bring no intelligence or anything worth hearing into debates. Your argument is always getting destroyed.

If you're offended, don't expect me to care.
Original post by WBZ144
If you're offended, don't expect me to care.

I'm far from offended, I'm just making observations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending