The Student Room Group

Any possible routes/ straight entry into medicine?

I just have a very quick question, I want to apply for medicine entry 2017 ( probably if I would get into a 6year with a foundation course). My only problem would be my GCSE's. I have a grade C in my Mathematic, English and Science, because I came from Austria late into year 10, I officially started in year 11. It was really difficult and challenging trying to translate everything I knew in German and learn a lot of new stuff which I never knew about in just one year. Considering my GCSE. would I still be able to apply to study medicine at Bristol University. I am predicted to get around 30-40 points on my IB- Diploma. My three higher levels are Biology, English, Chemistry and my standard level subjects are Mathematic, History and Spanish. On my higher level subjects I am predicted 5-6 and on my standard subjects, I am predicted 5-6. I just wanted to know, if I perform very well on my IB, would there be any chance of me applying to Bristol University and getting accepted? What are my chances getting into medical schools? Would I still be able to apply to medical schools after a Bsc degree in Biomedical Science or MPharm? Should I perhaps study abroad?
I really love medicine. I can't see myself doing something else other than medicine. I love to help people. I find great joy just being in the hospitals sometimes. At the moment I am trying to gather up some work experience. It fascinates me so much how medical professionals work to save peoples lives. Yes I have always wanted to study medicine and I know that I will become a medical doctor someday no matter how long the journey may be, I wont ever give up on my dream.

****please any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Original post by naijaqueen07
I just have a very quick question, I want to apply for medicine entry 2017 ( probably if I would get into a 6year with a foundation course). My only problem would be my GCSE's. I have a grade C in my Mathematic, English and Science, because I came from Austria late into year 10, I officially started in year 11. It was really difficult and challenging trying to translate everything I knew in German and learn a lot of new stuff which I never knew about in just one year. Considering my GCSE. would I still be able to apply to study medicine at Bristol University. I am predicted to get around 30-40 points on my IB- Diploma. My three higher levels are Biology, English, Chemistry and my standard level subjects are Mathematic, History and Spanish. On my higher level subjects I am predicted 5-6 and on my standard subjects, I am predicted 5-6. I just wanted to know, if I perform very well on my IB, would there be any chance of me applying to Bristol University and getting accepted? What are my chances getting into medical schools? Would I still be able to apply to medical schools after a Bsc degree in Biomedical Science or MPharm? Should I perhaps study abroad?
I really love medicine. I can't see myself doing something else other than medicine. I love to help people. I find great joy just being in the hospitals sometimes. At the moment I am trying to gather up some work experience. It fascinates me so much how medical professionals work to save peoples lives. Yes I have always wanted to study medicine and I know that I will become a medical doctor someday no matter how long the journey may be, I wont ever give up on my dream.

****please any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

Sadly most medical schools have a set of minimum requirements you must meet for medicine in terms of GCSE grades and you will not meet them (usually they require GCSE B grades or above), but if you have extenuating circumstances or came from a dissadvantaged school or area/ have other difficulties you may qualify for an access scheme so have a look at universities which offer such schemes.

As for IB im pretty sure most medical schools require a minimum of 666 at HL, so make sure you can meet that.

If you are always stuck look at studying medicine abroad in european countries its often cheaper and has lower entry requirements and mostly taught in english if you find a good degree programme. Have a look also to make sure your degree is transferable back to the UK if you want to return as many are not.

A Bsc in the UK and then doing graduate entry may work also but its a very expensive, long and extremely competitive route. so avoid if you can.
Reply 2
Thank you very much for replying. It is very competitive and I wouldn't want to take a gap year. I might consider studying outside the country. I really love medicine and if that way is going to make me become a medical doctor then I don't mind following that route. :smile:
Original post by Natalierm2707
Sadly most medical schools have a set of minimum requirements you must meet for medicine in terms of GCSE grades and you will not meet them (usually they require GCSE B grades or above), but if you have extenuating circumstances or came from a disadvantaged school or area/ have other difficulties you may qualify for an access scheme so have a look at universities which offer such schemes.

As for IB im pretty sure most medical schools require a minimum of 666 at HL, so make sure you can meet that.

If you are always stuck look at studying medicine abroad in European countries its often cheaper and has lower entry requirements and mostly taught in English if you find a good degree program. Have a look also to make sure your degree is transferable back to the UK if you want to return as many are not.

A Bsc in the UK and then doing graduate entry may work also but its a very expensive, long and extremely competitive route. so avoid if you can.
You can do a health degree and progress into medicine via graduate entry but as said its competitive and you mostly need a 2:1 or a first class degree.
Reply 4
Which health care science would you advise me to get into that would be possible for me to graduate with a first or a 2:1 degree? Thank you :smile:

Original post by sameehaiqbal
You can do a health degree and progress into medicine via graduate entry but as said its competitive and you mostly need a 2:1 or a first class degree.
Original post by naijaqueen07
Which health care science would you advise me to get into that would be possible for me to graduate with a first or a 2:1 degree? Thank you :smile:

This would entirely depend on your personal strengths and interests, as it is of course possible for someone to get a 2.1 or 1st in any subject if they score highly enough. The likelihood of doing so depends partly on how much you enjoy the subject you are studying (and therefore how much effort you put in), how much the course matches your academic strengths and learning type, and most of all how much work you put in.

Some grad entry programs will only accept a lab science such as biochemistry, some will also accept healthcare degrees such as optometry, a few will accept any degree. Grad entry is far more competitive than normal medical degrees, with most programmes having only 20 or so places.

See here for GEM entry requirements http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
(edited 7 years ago)
I seem to remember some unis did not want people who had done Pharm?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending