The Student Room Group

First car?

Hi everyone,

I don't have a budget yet, but am thinking of buying a cheap first car (that said, I've been able to drive for ages so have cheaper insurance).

What do you think is the best route to go down - is it better to do the monthly car rental on new cars, or buy second hand, or simple get a new cheap car with interest free if I can?

I don't want to spend loads but also don't want a banger :-/

Thanks!
Jack

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Jack
Hi everyone,

I don't have a budget yet, but am thinking of buying a cheap first car (that said, I've been able to drive for ages so have cheaper insurance).

What do you think is the best route to go down - is it better to do the monthly car rental on new cars, or buy second hand, or simple get a new cheap car with interest free if I can?

Thanks!
Jack

Fairly hard to say without a budget, but I'd suggest that getting a second hand car would be a pretty good way to go... Having no idea what your budget is, but I got a Ford Fiesta Zetec, with a 12 plate, for ~£8500... Obviously, if your budget were at £1000, it'd be harder to find a great second hand car...! My sister's boyfriend managed to get a Fiesta Zetec as well, for about £5000-6000 (can't remember exact price), with a slightly higher mileage, but was kept in great condition, and runs very well!
Original post by mobbsy91
Fairly hard to say without a budget, but I'd suggest that getting a second hand car would be a pretty good way to go... Having no idea what your budget is, but I got a Ford Fiesta Zetec, with a 12 plate, for ~£8500... Obviously, if your budget were at £1000, it'd be harder to find a great second hand car...! My sister's boyfriend managed to get a Fiesta Zetec as well, for about £5000-6000 (can't remember exact price), with a slightly higher mileage, but was kept in great condition, and runs very well!

I know so little about cars :lol: so do you think for a decent second hand car it would cost £5,000 upwards? Are new cars about £7-8,000?
Reply 3
I know so little about cars :lol: so do you think for a decent second hand car it would cost £5,000 upwards? Are new cars about £7-8,000?

Not really. You can buy a car for £2000 with low miles and fairly new that wont cost you that much to run or tax or insure.
Just buy a Moped. It's like a car but less expensive and more dangerous.

I got shot at once while driving a Moped. This was in GTA V, though, and I heard the American who, presumably, shot at me on on the microphone saying "He on a Moped!"

Fairs xD And definitely not, because age and mileage can have a big influence on price, yet, if someone kept the car in a good condition, it won't necessarily be much/any worse than a car a year or two newer...! When you've got a bit of time, it's worth going on autotrader, and putting in a few different variables - I've put some in here but you'll need to change the postcode as that's giving cars in my area... I found that was a good way of seeing what kind of car I'd want to go for, and then you can also look around at showrooms near you if you wanted to go down that route... New cars can get pretty damn pricey...again, depends on make/model, but easily upwards of what you said... for example, a new fiesta is upwards of £10,000... a new polo upwards of £11,000 and these are just the basic. Whereas with a used, the price will be a lot cheaper, and depending on what you go for, will be better models/engine size/extras...

Not necessarily, my first car costed just under £2000, and it was as you say 'decent. Never had any problems with it. It all depends on the car. You can get a good second hand car for 1-2 thousand if you look carefully and get a bit lucky. And you could get a lemon of a car for 7-8 thousand. It all depends on the actual car itself and how well it has been maintained.

You can get good second hand cars for around £3k (obviously means older models) however around the £5k range is perfect for a second hand car.

In my opinion, once you near the £10k mark you're better putting a healthy deposit down and getting a brand new car. Simply because I don't believe it's worth getting a used car for £10k when you can get some very good new cars for around £20k. Put a deposit down and the bigger the deposit the less you will pay per month.

Of course you can get new cars like Dacia's for £8k, however I'm sure you're more interested in your Ford's, Volkswagen's etc.
Original post by similarBlank
Just buy a Moped. It's like a car but less expensive and more dangerous.

I got shot at once while driving a Moped. This was in GTA V, though, and I heard the American who, presumably, shot at me on on the microphone saying "He on a Moped!"

Did you survive though... :tongue:
Did you survive though... :tongue:

Yep, I drove down a ramp to the lower level of the road as they spotted me and started shooting at me and they didn't pursue.
Original post by similarBlank
Yep, I drove down a ramp to the lower level of the road as they spotted me and started shooting at me and they didn't pursue.

Fairs, fairs!
Fairs xD And definitely not, because age and mileage can have a big influence on price, yet, if someone kept the car in a good condition, it won't necessarily be much/any worse than a car a year or two newer...! When you've got a bit of time, it's worth going on autotrader, and putting in a few different variables - I've put some in here but you'll need to change the postcode as that's giving cars in my area... I found that was a good way of seeing what kind of car I'd want to go for, and then you can also look around at showrooms near you if you wanted to go down that route... New cars can get pretty damn pricey...again, depends on make/model, but easily upwards of what you said... for example, a new fiesta is upwards of £10,000... a new polo upwards of £11,000 and these are just the basic. Whereas with a used, the price will be a lot cheaper, and depending on what you go for, will be better models/engine size/extras...

Original post by Economistician
Not necessarily, my first car costed just under £2000, and it was as you say 'decent. Never had any problems with it. It all depends on the car. You can get a good second hand car for 1-2 thousand if you look carefully and get a bit lucky. And you could get a lemon of a car for 7-8 thousand. It all depends on the actual car itself and how well it has been maintained.

Original post by Optimum_
You can get good second hand cars for around £3k (obviously means older models) however around the £5k range is perfect for a second hand car.

In my opinion, once you near the £10k mark you're better putting a healthy deposit down and getting a brand new car. Simply because I don't believe it's worth getting a used car for £10k when you can get some very good new cars for around £20k. Put a deposit down and the bigger the deposit the less you will pay per month.

Of course you can get new cars like Dacia's for £8k, however I'm sure you're more interested in your Ford's, Volkswagen's etc.

Thanks guys, I will take a look at Autotrader tonight.

I've rented VW golfs before and really like them but thought they were quite expensive. Guess I need something with fairly good transporting size too for furniture and stuff at some point.

I've rented VW golfs before and really like them but thought they were quite expensive. Guess I need something with fairly good transporting size too for furniture and stuff at some point.

Nissan Qashqai?

My mom drives one of those and I've whizzed around in it once or twice and they're fantastic. They're big but not SUV big, yet small but not Ford Focus small. It's the perfect size for a car and plenty of space for your transporting of perfectly legal goods :wink:

Unless you are planning to be a furniture trader don't bother with such requirements. You can always rent a van or even better get a man-with-a-van to do the furniture moving.

It will ultimately depend what you want the car for, if it is just an occasional drive here and there I'd just stick to a cheap 2nd hand car, probably a Fiat Panda that is 5-7 years old or so.
Just whatever you do, don't buy anything French. Don't buy a MINI new or old. The BMW MINI are terrible for reliability, lots go wrong and its expensive when it does go wrong. Stick to Fords, Vauxhalls and VWs
Reply 15
There are some great deals around for £3,000 or so which will get you something around 5-7 years old and with 30-60k miles on the clock. If your really clever you can get some with around 10-30k miles on the clock for around £3000.

Really aim for a car that has done 10k miles or less per year as you don't want to be sat on the side of the road waiting for the AA to tow you to a garage just so you can spend another few hundred quid on repairs and labour.

If you can get a car with 1 lady owner, you are probably going to be onto a winner in terms on reliability, especially so if they are elderly. With this in mind, you probably wont find a Mitsubishi Evo with 1 previous elderly lady driver.

If you live in London, I would suggest travel further up north where cars tend to be much cheaper. I recently saved around £800 by spending £100 on a train ticket to Chester. If do travel a substantial distance to buy a car, do your best to buy from a main dealer. I did this and my car came with a 12 month warrantee so now if I have any problems, I can go to my local Toyota garage and (hopefully under the warrantee) have the issue fixed.

Check out some blogs, there are some useful ones, to get some useful car example ideas.
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Jack

hi jack do you want a big or small car
because i have a VOLVO XC90 and i love it
Can anyone recommend a couple of specific car models I can look at to start?

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I've been looking at Ford, Volkswagen, Fiat Panda and Nissan Qashqai.

Original post by bendavis18
hi jack do you want a big or small car
because i have a VOLVO XC90 and i love it

I think about small medium really. Needs to be small enough to nip around London, but solid enough for motorway trips up to my family in Yorkshire and back, and for carrying stuff in the boot / with charis folded down like suitcases, odd bits of furniture and I have an allotment so need space for gardening equipment, bags of compost etc.

Nothing major, but do need boot space.

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful as I've never bought a car before, I'm a total newby to this but hoping to understand it better as I go :smile:
Can anyone recommend a couple of specific car models I can look at to start?

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I've been looking at Ford, Volkswagen, Fiat Panda and Nissan Qashqai.

I think about small medium really. Needs to be small enough to nip around London, but solid enough for motorway trips up to my family in Yorkshire and back, and for carrying stuff in the boot / with charis folded down like suitcases, odd bits of furniture and I have an allotment so need space for gardening equipment, bags of compost etc.

Nothing major, but do need boot space.

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful as I've never bought a car before, I'm a total newby to this but hoping to understand it better as I go :smile:

I used to own a Suzuki Liana (As it's called here in the UK) and that was great as a city runabout and made long trips no problem. And it doesn't cost a bunch, and never broke down.
Ford Fiesta 30th anniversary edition

Suzuki Swift (2006)

Mitsubishi Colt (2008)

Toyota Yaris (2005)

all great cars you can get for £1000 - £2000

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending