The Student Room Group

Official Internship Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnniNR
Hi Lexie,

Im currently studying a degree in Bioveterinary science and am interested in going into PR. I was wondering what sort of opportunities were available to do an internship in PR or even marketing either in the US or australia?

Annie

Hi Annie,

Thanks for your message. I think doing an internship is a great way for you to break into the industry and test drive the career field.

We provide PR and Marketing internships in both New York and Melbourne for candidates at all stages of their academic or professional career. Here are some videos that might interest you and give you a better idea of the internships that we offer: Christine interned in Communications in Melbourne and Robin interned in PR & Marketing in London.

When are you looking to begin your internship?
Original post by oligardner
Hello Lexie,

I have loooked at all of the programs on the website. However it dosen't talk about how much you earn during the internships? Are these paid or unpaid programs? Thanks

Hi Oligardner,

Thanks for your message.

Our partnership companies offer unpaid internships based on cultural norms and perceptions of what an internship is in our locations. The internship is actually a learning opportunity and educational experience in a work environment for your own professional development in your career field. This is so that you don't have a barrier getting a job you're passionate about in your industry afterward. Also, many of our interns are getting placements in companies that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise because they don't have enough experience or a strong enough background academically and they are getting priority over locals that have citizenship in that country. The purpose of our program is to gain transferable skills to build up your CV and make you a strong candidate to get a marketable job down the line because of that experience.
Original post by J-SP
Many of the countries you host interns in have minimum wage legislation (like the US and UK). How do you manage to avoid these rules in these locations?

Hi,

Organizations in the US and UK that host international interns through short-term educational programs like ours must execute training plans that fully comply with all legislation, including that of the national minimum wage. Compliance is closely monitored by the relevant governmental department - the State Department and Home Office respectively - who approves the visas.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
So they are not unpaid internships then if they pay minimum wage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi J-SP,

The international internship programs that we provide are short-term educational training programs, rather than full-time jobs. Whether the internships are paid or not depends on each host organisation. Typically they are unpaid, however being supernumerary and education/training focused they comply with both minimum wage legislation and visa rules. You can find out more information here (http://www.bunac.org/usa/intern-abroad/professional/britain/employer-info)
Original post by J-SP
What is the typical educational training provided that isn't on the job learning? I'm not particularly convinced with what you are saying though. The website you provided (and just copied information of off) states that the employer has to ensure they meet minimum wage regulations, and so they should be paid. Are the interns technically working/volunteering for you or the employer? Do you also receive a fee from the "employer" for placing the intern into their organisation, and if so how much is that typically?

Hi J-SP,

Technically the interns are volunteering for the host organisation and therefore they are not paid the minimum wage. You can see more under the “Unpaid Voluntary Internships” sector here: http://www.bunac.org/usa/intern-abroad/professional/britain/employer-info. We are the provider, so we help candidates from all over the world find internships abroad. We also find their accommodation and organise social and cultural activities for them. We don’t receive a fee from the employer for placing interns with them.
Original post by Lexie - The Intern Group
Hi, I'm Lexie from The Intern Group.

We are an international internship provider and experts in the field of international education. I am available for the next three months to answer all of your questions about available opportunities abroad, internships in general, and more.

I am excited to read your questions! Ask them below :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi lexie,

I have just finished my masters degree (1st class environmental science) this summer and have stumbled across the intern group and it looks fantastic! I am definitely looking to get some valuable work and industry experience abroad.

I was just wondering, are there differences beteeen your locations in terms of how competitive they are or if some are more straight forward to get onto in terms of visa's etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ps3SuperSRG
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi lexie,

I have just finished my masters degree (1st class environmental science) this summer and have stumbled across the intern group and it looks fantastic! I am definitely looking to get some valuable work and industry experience abroad.

I was just wondering, are there differences beteeen your locations in terms of how competitive they are or if some are more straight forward to get onto in terms of visa's etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Ps3SuperSRG, congratulations on your recent graduation!

Our locations are all equally competitive. However, some of them do have visa requirements that are more strict than others. Where is it you're looking to go?

Best, Lexie
To those of you looking to gain work experience or an internship at a startup, and/or develop connections in your industry of interest, I’d like to personally recommend magnet .me

https://join.magnet.me/u/ed.ball.46087

Last summer I interned at a rapidly expanding FinTech company based in Shanghai, during which I gained rewarding technical experience building a software product, deep insights into the every day challenges facing a young company and extremely valuable connections within the international financial services industry.

Whether you too are in search of hands on stimulating experience at an exciting startup or are instead looking for an internship at McKinsey, these guys can help you achieve this.

Best of luck to you all!
Original post by Lexie - The Intern Group
Hi, I'm Lexie from The Intern Group.

We are an international internship provider and experts in the field of international education. I am available for the next three months to answer all of your questions about available opportunities abroad, internships in general, and more.

I am excited to read your questions! Ask them below :smile:

Hi Lexie,

I want to go to the US this summer to do an Internship for 2-3 months and then a month of travel afterwards. I’m from Ireland and I’m finishing my architecture honors bachelors degree this May. Could you help!? I’m struggling to find a paid internship so I can sustain myself while over there. Newyork, Boston Chicago, Florida, California are all options!! What requirements would I need for a visa etc?

GiGi x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending