The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrincessBO$$
i don't know? I never heared them say something like that.
Where r u from?

West Africa :redface:.
You still haven`t replied to my pm.
i don't know? I never heared them say something like that.
Where r u from?

West Africa.You still haven`t responded to my pm :redface:.
Reply 22
Any relationship before marriage and with a non Muslim man is forbidden.
Unless he converts you would be falling into sin.
It depends what you value more- your religion or just some guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aminah91
Honestly, I've never really liked west africans, not in a racist way. My parents don't know, if they did I would be disowned right now. He was actually thinking about converting before he even met me. He is taking his shahada on friday Insha'Allah. I know for a fact that my parents would still not accept him. At the end of the day it's my life, should I not be able to choose who I want to spend the rest of my life with.

lol k
Depends on how deep your feelings are for him? Are you willing to go against your religion for him?
Hi,
Im a 24 year old muslim Somali girl, recently finished university. I'm in love with a christian Nigerian man and don't know what to do. Any advice?

It really depends upon how conservative your parents are, and from there, you will have an idea of how they'll take your relationship. If you think they will oppose you greatly, and if your parents' wish is for you to not see him anymore, you can either abide by this or move against this- but keep yourself aware of the outcomes of each choice and how this will affect your life. From what I've seen, the Somali community (particularly the older generations, and most parents) lean towards somali-somali relationships, regardless of religion. There may be the few open-minded ones that dismiss this, but unfortunately they'd be regarding as very open-minded parents- which signals the tradition for Somali-bordered marriages and how only a minority choose to step outside this.

Again, I have no opinion myself on what you should do, all I can say is make sure the choices you make will not affect you so that you're not stable or you have nowhere to go, etc. Talk to your parents, as discussion is always key to understanding and acceptance.
^I tried to be as helpful as I can to your circumstances, apologies if I haven't managed to address everything.
Original post by Kadak
West Africa.You still haven`t responded to my pm :redface:.

Soz didnt get any notifications from you :redface:
Original post by bluebookie
It really depends upon how conservative your parents are, and from there, you will have an idea of how they'll take your relationship. If you think they will oppose you greatly, and if your parents' wish is for you to not see him anymore, you can either abide by this or move against this- but keep yourself aware of the outcomes of each choice and how this will affect your life. From what I've seen, the Somali community (particularly the older generations, and most parents) lean towards somali-somali relationships, regardless of religion. There may be the few open-minded ones that dismiss this, but unfortunately they'd be regarding as very open-minded parents- which signals the tradition for Somali-bordered marriages and how only a minority choose to step outside this.

Again, I have no opinion myself on what you should do, all I can say is make sure the choices you make will not affect you so that you're not stable or you have nowhere to go, etc. Talk to your parents, as discussion is always key to understanding and acceptance.
^I tried to be as helpful as I can to your circumstances, apologies if I haven't managed to address everything.

Very detailed answer, i give you a 9.5/10 :h:
Why should they convert them? Why can't they just forget their religious differences and maintain their relationship with them. I simply don't get how people are stating that someone should convert, religious differences mean almost nothing. Saying that one should terminate a relationship just because of religious differences is blatantly pathetic and childish, sorry to say. To be honest, you can go without your family's approval. If they don't approve of it, it's them who feel that way, and that doesn't have to effect you. It's your life, you can live it with who you want, how you want. Be independant in your decisions. If you believe that terminating the relationship is the best for you, then do so.

To answer your question: if you want to maintain relationships with him, do so. If not, don't. I view it as simple as that :smile:
Just marry him however if you wish to have children in the future you must realise that there will be complications concerning what religion they will follow.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Just marry him however if you wish to have children in the future you must realise that there will be complications concerning what religion they will follow.

She said he is converting on friday apparently, to islam
Original post by sulaimanali
Ask him to convert...or move on.

Why does he have to convert ? Why doesnt she and of she cant cos shes a female and a muslim why not go for a guy whos of a different religion in the first place?

If shes in love she'd realise not to ask him to convert either move on or accept the difference and cobtinue ahead as regards to future children and thier religion etc rasie them as theists or in both or in non
Soz didnt get any notifications from you :redface:

Notifications are not working for me either today PrincessBO$$.
She said he is converting on friday apparently, to islam

Mmm i dont see the point , if love os regardless of all colour race religion amd ots so strong that they want to pursue it converting shouldnt be neccessary
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh

There may be complications, but they'll be easy to solve. It's as simple as: whatever the child wants, if they wish to follow a religion. I would recommend not forcing either upon them, rather waiting to see which they wish to follow, if they do wish to follow either.
Reply 35
Original post by Anonymous
For what reasons don't you like west Africans?

That came out wrong. Is not that I don't like them or have never liked them. I just never thought I could possibly end up with one, due to the fact that somalis don't mix with other africans, especially west africans.
Reply 36
Original post by smile43
Why does he have to convert ? Why doesnt she and of she cant cos shes a female and a muslim why not go for a guy whos of a different religion in the first place?

If shes in love she'd realise not to ask him to convert either move on or accept the difference and cobtinue ahead as regards to future children and thier religion etc rasie them as theists or in both or in non

lool i would never ever become a christian, I'd rather die (no offence to any christians). If he dont convert on friday then obviously have no future together. The only reason we got together in the first place is because he told me that he was thinking about become muslim
(edited 7 years ago)
lool i would never ever become a christian, I'd rather die (no offence to any christians). If he dont convert on friday then obviously have no future together. The only reason we got together in the first place is because he told me that he was thinking about become muslim

Good for you. I hope everything works in your favour. :smile:
Religion wastes your life. I made a thread about it on the religion forum. Leave Islam and enjoy life.
Reply 39

How selfish...

Just let the guy go. You're obviously not "in love" with him and he can do better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest