The Student Room Group

Will a C at AS prevent me getting into oxbridge?

I'm in year 12 now going into year 13, looking to apply to Oxford mathematics, got 5A* 4A 1B at gcse and did AS maths, computing and government and politics a year early, and got AAC respectively. In my ASs I think I got A*AAB (maths a2, physics, chem, history). I'm worried that the C in government and politics and the B in History will prevent me from getting into Oxford even though they're not really related to maths, and I took G&P a year early (f*** knows why) and I'm dropping history.Just looking for honest information as to whether I'm still in with a chance of getting in to Oxford or whether I shouldn't bother applying. Sorry I know there's millions of posts like this. Cheers in advance.
Reply 1
They only care about your top three, don't worry about it.
Reply 2
Original post by Rouge123
I'm in year 12 now going into year 13, looking to apply to Oxford mathematics, got 5A* 4A 1B at gcse and did AS maths, computing and government and politics a year early, and got AAC respectively. In my ASs I think I got A*AAB (maths a2, physics, chem, history). I'm worried that the C in government and politics and the B in History will prevent me from getting into Oxford even though they're not really related to maths, and I took G&P a year early (f*** knows why) and I'm dropping history.Just looking for honest information as to whether I'm still in with a chance of getting in to Oxford or whether I shouldn't bother applying. Sorry I know there's millions of posts like this. Cheers in advance.

They really only care about maths for Maths, and a bit about physics.

But this highlights, in case others are considering it, why it's folly to take AS or A-levels early... Universities don't make allowances if you take them early. They expect you do as well as candidates taking them at the normal time.

It's always quality not quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by holomanga
They only care about your top three, don't worry about it.

Cheers
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
They really only care about maths for Maths, and a bit about physics.

But this highlights, in case others are considering it, why it's folly to take AS or A-levels early... Universities don't make allowances if you take them early. They expect you do as well as candidates taking them at the normal time.

It's always quality not quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks and I know, if I could go back I wouldn't have taken them early but I didn't really know what I was doing at the time. Do you think it's worth me applying?
Reply 5
Original post by Rouge123
Thanks and I know, if I could go back I wouldn't have taken them early but I didn't really know what I was doing at the time. Do you think it's worth me applying?

Yes. A lot depends on the MAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I guess I'll start preparing asap and smash the MAT, thanks
What on earth is the MAT? I've heard about it a few times now but I haven't a clue what it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dysphoric
What on earth is the MAT? I've heard about it a few times now but I haven't a clue what it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mathematics Aptitude Test. The test that Oxford give to all applicants which decides whether they are interviewed.

On the topic of this thread, my friend got AAAD at AS. He's in Oxford now.
They won't care

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending