The Student Room Group

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She-Ra
Some universities have jumped the gun and declared they will be charging higher tuition fees ahead of the teaching excellent framework (TEF) being signed off by Parliament.

For Autumn 2017 Durham, Kent and Royal Holloway websites state that their fees will be £9,250 even though Parliament haven't actually signed off the plan for fees yet.

However, based on the recent mock-up of the TEF only Kent feature in the top 10. You find more information on the TEF here.

The BBC has also reported that fees could increase up to £10,000 a year over the next 4 years.

Full report is here

We also recently published an article on uni fees, the TEF and inflation. You can read it here

Cheers Brexit
Reply 21
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Well i'm going to uni in 2018/2019. I need to get a job ASAP now :redface:

Nope. Student Finance will cover it in full.
Reply 22
Original post by timebent
Cheers Brexit

Nothing to do with it. Was already happening.
Original post by jneill
Nothing to do with it. Was already happening.

oh i see, rip my future then....
Original post by Gogregg
I'm not sure if you know, but the banner link is to a thread from 2007 about Le Vie en Rose instead of this one :ninja:

It's so frustrating how they're increasing fees yet again. I do somewhat understand it, but education is supposed to be a human right. It sort of feels like they're infringing upon it when they make it more and more expensive to access...

yh I kept tapping on it and getting redirected then realised must be a faulty link
Original post by She-Ra
I know, but it's still interesting how different it was. I'm not sure about the validity of NSS in there though, I have to say it wasn't really what I was expecting. I thought it would have a sense of Ofsted for Unis......

Do you know what data wasn't used this time round? :ninja:

They used only 1 years data instead of 3
They used Q22 (overall satisfaction) from the NSS - instead of the section scores for Teaching, Assessment & Feedback and Academic Support
They didn't have access to the NSS data to produce proper benchmarks using the methodology that will be used in the TEF (NSS will be benchmarks by age on entry, ethnicity, sex, disability and subject - only subject data is in the public domain)
They used Projected Outcomes data instead of Non-continuation data (the methodology and data is very different)

They also excluded some universities and included others seemingly at random - some very large universities were excluded and some very small universities included :s-smilie:

I haven't looked in detail at the way they replicated the DLHE metrics but I imagine there's similar issues over the production of benchmarks (I didn't see a data request go through for DLHE data by subject, entry quals, age, ethnicity and sex which is what they would need to replicate the benchmarks)

The TEF will also include more current data for both the NSS and DLHE (NSS data isn't out yet, DLHE data came out too late for THE to include).

So yeah....it's interesting but I wouldn't call it indicative. Some of the patterns (RG universities being rubbish when compared to benchmarks) are likely to show up in the actual TEF but it's also a lot more nuanced than the THE ranking described. The panels will receive a dashboard of performance v benchmarks for each metric (see attachment) PLUS a qualitative document describing the university's activities/policies/strategies around key issues. So even if some universities look like crap on the dashboard there's every possibility they'll get the nod to increase their fees if they can talk the talk.
Good. Can't wait for more unis follow suit. Great to have a bit of competition between different unis. Hopefully this will lead to the complete privatisation of the higher education sector.
Original post by She-Ra
But Kent is rated higher than any of them in the new TEF which has turned the traditional league tables on their head.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26179-Model-TEF-rankings-turn-leage-tables-upside-down

Considering I don't know much about the TEF, and I certainly don't trust it over more traditional indicators of university excellence such as league tables and world rankings I would rather trust in the excellence and prestige of Cambridge over Kent any day of the week. What is the ranking of TEF based on?
So if one were to start university in 2017 (sept) and the fee was £9,250 - does that fee remain at that rate for the duration of the person's course, or can it increase each year whilst the person is there?
Original post by stevey396
Good. Can't wait for more unis follow suit. Great to have a bit of competition between different unis. Hopefully this will lead to the complete privatisation of the higher education sector.

Look at the list
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/535844/bis-16-278-year-one-list.pdf

This isn't about competition - pretty much every university will be raising their fees by inflation.
Original post by PQ
Look at the list
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/535844/bis-16-278-year-one-list.pdf

This isn't about competition - pretty much every university will be raising their fees by inflation.

I know - but this is just the beginning. In a few years time unis will be able to set fees based on a tiered system, therefore creating a level of healthy and much needed competition.

Then hopefully once this is a success, all government regulations on fees will be completely abolished and unis will be able to charge however much they want - the higher the better I say.
oh i see, rip my future then....

Relax, 3/4 of students never pay off their loans in full and it gets written off completely after 30 years anyway. Go to university anyway.
I know - but this is just the beginning. In a few years time unis will be able to set fees based on a tiered system, therefore creating a level of healthy and much needed competition.

Then hopefully once this is a success, all government regulations on fees will be completely abolished and unis will be able to charge however much they want - the higher the better I say.

Given the complexity of the tiered system there is no indication of any appetite in government for a removal of the fee cap without similar levels of regulation/quality monitoring.
Crap as it is the THE TEF modelling shows that the universities likely to be in the top tier aren't the usual suspects: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/sites/default/files/the-mock-tef-table.pdf
oh. that's nice, comforting to know i'll be in debt for a bit 30 yearslol haha
oh. that's nice, comforting to know i'll be in debt for a bit 30 yearslol haha

30 years for increased work prospects is nothing especially considering the raising of the retirement age. What is it now? 66? Assuming you go to university at 18 and graduate at 21/22 that's a whole 45 or so years of increased career prospects and wages.
This policy is a load of bullsh*t. It's disgusting that the vast majority of students are able to get away with not paying back their loan in full.

If it were up to me there would be no loans and fees would have to be paid upfront. If you can't afford it, you can't go.
This policy is a load of bullsh*t. It's disgusting that the vast majority of students are able to get away without paying back their loan in full.

If it were up to me there would be no loans and fees would have to be paid upfront. If you can't afford it, you can't go.

Well, I'm glad that you aren't in power then. Attitudes like yours would mean this country would reverse back to the dark ages as only the rich would be able to attend and the average person on the street (including myself) would be denied the opportunity to better themselves and their life prospects
This policy is a load of bullsh*t. It's disgusting that the vast majority of students are able to get away with not paying back their loan in full.

Luckily for everyone who understands the HE sector or benefits from it you're not an MP or a civil servant and have absolutely no influence on government policy :smile:
No - everyone would be able to attend eventually. Those who can't afford it at first will have to find a job (yes, a JOB) and save up. This will teach workshy little oiks that they can't have everything handed to them on a plate and have to work hard before they reap the benefits. It will also discourage those who aren't cut out for uni from going, saving them from wasting three years of their life.
(edited 7 years ago)
No - everyone would be able to attend eventually. Those who can't afford it at first will have to find a job (yes, a JOB) and save up. This will teach workshy little oiks that they can't have everything handed to them on a plate and have to work hard before they reap the benefits.

I happen to have a job aswell as studying and your comment shows bounds of ignorance about the current state of the economy and the life of the average person. Do you really think someone on a wage of £14,000 a year or less would be able to save up the £27,000 needed to do a 3 year bachelor course considering the cost of rent, food, bills and transport in this day and age? You are living in cloud cuckoo land. If you were privileged enough to be able to go to university without the need for loans then be grateful for that but don't deny the less fortunate the opportunity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending