The Student Room Group

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000

Scroll to see replies

I guess, gotta save a lot though ^-^
Original post by timebent
I guess, gotta save a lot though ^-^

Are you going to try and save the whole £27,000+ or enough to live off?
LOL can i do that? or is it necessary to pay back x amount of loan each year or something?
Reply 43
Original post by stevey396
Good. Can't wait for more unis follow suit. Great to have a bit of competition between different unis. Hopefully this will lead to the complete privatisation of the higher education sector.

The idea of the 9000 fee was it would introduce competition. With only Oxbridge and the like expected to charge the full amount. Instead almost everyone charged the highest rate. The same largely will happen with this.

If the Student Loan covers it then there's no incentive to charge below the maximum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL can i do that? or is it necessary to pay back x amount of loan each year or something?

If your job pays you well enough, yes :tongue:

If you're like the most people and stuck on a student job salary probably not, although you might be able to save up 9000 or so in a year or two
Reply 45
Original post by stevey396
No - everyone would be able to attend eventually. Those who can't afford it at first will have to find a job (yes, a JOB) and save up. This will teach workshy little oiks that they can't have everything handed to them on a plate and have to work hard before they reap the benefits. It will also discourage those who aren't cut out for uni from going, saving them from wasting three years of their life.

It's called social mobility. It's not perfect but better than the bad old days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah but can i save some of that 9k for me? maybe like 1k or something? just to set it aside for a rainy day or something? or does everything i earn(besides money to keep me alive i.e water food utility stuff) have to go to my loan?
Reply 47

You only pay back when you earn more than £21k per year. And then it's 9% of the amount above £21k. If you earn £30k it's equivalent to a Starbucks a day (£67 per month). Not bad for a degree education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hold on a minute guys. Don't us students have a body that is supposed to fight these increases in tuition fees? I'm sure there was something like this...
Original post by jneill
You only pay back when you earn more than £21k per year. And then it's 9% of the amount above £21k. If you earn £30k it's equivalent to a Starbucks a day (£67 per month). Not bad for a degree education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh ok so even if i earn less than 21k can i save a bit of money if i wanted and start paying back the loan?

£67 a month on drinks? I'm a super cheapskate lol so i don't think i'll have a problem buying stuff haha
:ninja:

Spoiler

Reply 50
Ah but can i save some of that 9k for me? maybe like 1k or something? just to set it aside for a rainy day or something? or does everything i earn(besides money to keep me alive i.e water food utility stuff) have to go to my loan?

The Tuition Loan covers the full cost of tuition. The Maintenance Loan goes towards your maintenance expenses eg rent, food, going to the pub, etc etc.

If you also have savings you can chose to reduce the amount of loan you take out. Or just keep the savings. The loan interest rate is low (although not as low as it used to be).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't really know what to say. It's so depressing. Labour need to sort themselves out quick or who knows how much further fees could rise.

Original post by neal95
It's fine. I don't mind them putting up tuition fees. Why is it students only moan when tuition fees go up yet when they get a load in maintenance loan they don't even need you never hear them moaning? The arrogance

Plenty of people 'moaned' (read: campaigned against) about the abolition of university grants and the increased maintenance loan, actually.

Original post by jneill
The idea of the 9000 fee was it would introduce competition. With only Oxbridge and the like expected to charge the full amount. Instead almost everyone charged the highest rate. The same largely will happen with this.

If the Student Loan covers it then there's no incentive to charge below the maximum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup. David Willetts spent months parading around TV studios insisting that most universities would only charge £6,000; he believed that increased tuition fees would create a market in higher education. His plan failed spectacularly and there's no reason to suppose the same won't happen again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
The Tuition Loan covers the full cost of tuition. The Maintenance Loan goes towards your maintenance expenses eg rent, food, going to the pub, etc etc.

If you also have savings you can chose to reduce the amount of loan you take out. Or just keep the savings. The loan interest rate is low (although not as low as it used to be).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, probably keep savings? I think it'd be a better choice to go and y'know reduce the loan but if i reduce it can i in the future if i ever need increase it back to what it originally was?
Reply 53
I see, probably keep savings? I think it'd be a better choice to go and y'know reduce the loan but if i reduce it can i in the future if i ever need increase it back to what it originally was?

The size of the maintenance loan depends on your household income.

You really need to read up on this properly...

Look at the SFE site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 999tigger
Free education only applies to it at an elementarty level. Higher education just requires access based on merit.
They are just asking you to pay a bit more, but are probiding the funding to do so. Their costs still go ip.

True, it sounds a lot worse than it actually is, I still can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable about it, but I don't mind too much, it still won't affect my decision to go to university :h:
Original post by jneill
The size of the maintenance loan depends on your household income.

You really need to read up on this properly...

Look at the SFE site.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's really low >.>

i had a look, but i couldn't get a number even though i used the calculator -.-'
There goes my gap year plan. Meh, people vehemently advised me against it anyway.
Original post by tanyapotter
There goes my gap year plan. Meh, people vehemently advised me against it anyway.

I don't think you should put off your gap year just because fees will increase by a couple of hundred pounds. The real fee increase will likely be for students starting their degrees in 2 or 3 years.
Absolutely disgraceful, demonstrating a total lack of respect for the fundamental value to society of education.
Reply 59
it's really low >.>

i had a look, but i couldn't get a number even though i used the calculator -.-'

You won't get a figure for 2017 yet. Out in data for 2016 start to give you an idea.

If you can't get a figure you are doing something wrong...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending