The Student Room Group

Does anybody know the CBAT score required for AAC?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NFI
Have you passed AOSB yet?

No I haven't applied officially yet, considering applying for a Masters instead. I popped into the careers office and had a chat with them there and I've been doing my research over the years but will see for now. Still have some time to decide what I want to apply for.(I went through the RAF application process to get to the CBAT stage - I'm just exploring the two officer pathways)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Just for clarity so I can try and offer advice to the best of my knowledge, you've had one attempt at AAC pilot aptitude but were unsuccessful? And you have no formal application in the pipeline to join the Army at present?

(With regards to the actual question in the title of the thread, the 'pass' for AAC pilot was 100 not too long ago).
Original post by NFI
Just for clarity so I can try and offer advice to the best of my knowledge, you've had one attempt at AAC pilot aptitude but were unsuccessful? And you have no formal application in the pipeline to join the Army at present?

(With regards to the actual question in the title of the thread, the 'pass' for AAC pilot was 100 not too long ago).

No sorry, I've had one attempt at RAF but didn't pass unfortunately. I did pass for AAC if it's 100 though.

No formal application to the Army just yet.
Reply 23
Original post by hezzlington
No sorry, I've had one attempt at RAF but didn't pass unfortunately. I did pass for AAC if it's 100 though.

No formal application to the Army just yet.

Cool, well I'm not sure what they've told you at the careers office but I will take it on assumption they are only armed with what they have on pamphlets and posters in the office. In case they haven't mentioned the various routes available to get onto the Army Pilot Course, it is possible to pass aptitude and medical before you have even passed AOSB (slightly bizarre way of doing business but has been done), the same goes for getting grading out of the way before you even start at Sandhurst. A positive as it means you won't have to attend a condensed (therefore slightly higher intensity) grading course during your first block leave between junior and inters when you'll be so sick of the Army you will just want to go home and catch up on sleep!
Original post by NFI
Cool, well I'm not sure what they've told you at the careers office but I will take it on assumption they are only armed with what they have on pamphlets and posters in the office. In case they haven't mentioned the various routes available to get onto the Army Pilot Course, it is possible to pass aptitude and medical before you have even passed AOSB (slightly bizarre way of doing business but has been done), the same goes for getting grading out of the way before you even start at Sandhurst. A positive as it means you won't have to attend a condensed (therefore slightly higher intensity) grading course during your first block leave between junior and inters when you'll be so sick of the Army you will just want to go home and catch up on sleep!

Does that mean you could also potentially have a place in the AAC before attending Sandhurst, or do you still have to go through the regimental interviews at (I think) week 28 of training?
Reply 25
You will still sit the Regimental Selection Boards in your intermediate term as you will require a second choice if you are unsuccessful with the AAC.
Original post by NFI
You will still sit the Regimental Selection Boards in your intermediate term as you will require a second choice if you are unsuccessful with the AAC.

Cool, cheers for the help.
Original post by NFI

So if you failed grading before you even start Sandhurst, could you be offered a place as an infantry officer?
Reply 28
Original post by james813
So if you failed grading before you even start Sandhurst, could you be offered a place as an infantry officer?

Of course. Grading is only carried out by those wishing to join the AAC. I'd like to think other Arms wouldn't use a fail at grading as a weakness either, as that just shows a lack of understanding as to what grading is looking for with regards to military aviation in particular.*
I've messaged the Army Officer/recruitment facebook page (two seperate accounts) as well as spoke to the Live Chat on the Army website. They didn't know, so they gave me a number to ring, but the number for the AAC they gave me didn't work...

Anybody here know? A google has said it's either the same as RAF cut off, or it's 80, which is very low?

However, I've also found that unlike the RAF, the aptitude test scores are not black and white pass/fail, a low aptitude score can be made up for at flying grading, as well as your score as an overall candidate.

Can anybody verify this

Pass mark is 100 nowadays
Original post by goose71234
Pass mark is 100 nowadays

Source?
Source?

Sat my CBAT test with the RN but unfortunately failed by the skin of my teeth. Decided to change my application to the Army / AAC as heard it was a slightly lower pass mark. Started my application and told the recruiter that I had previously sat my CBAT with the RN and wondered if it was possible to transfer my test score over. She didn’t really know much and said it probably wasn’t but she forwarded my details onto someone who works for the AAC recruiting side of things so I could ask him some questions.(can’t remember his exact tittle I’m afraid but can find out if needed) I brought up with him that I had previously sat my CBAT with the RN and wondered if it was possible to transfer the score over as when I asked the question about what was the pass mark he said it is now 100. He said as long as the green bars were above the stanines with the AAC revised weightings then I wouldn’t need to sit another CBAT test and he would arrange all of it for me. I was then told that I would go straight to pre board then hopefully main board If I got a cat 1 or 2 pass at pre board. I would then sit my flight grading whilst at sandurst.

I’m still in the application process and waiting for a spot at pre board currently.
Original post by goose71234
Sat my CBAT test with the RN but unfortunately failed by the skin of my teeth. Decided to change my application to the Army / AAC as heard it was a slightly lower pass mark. Started my application and told the recruiter that I had previously sat my CBAT with the RN and wondered if it was possible to transfer my test score over. She didn’t really know much and said it probably wasn’t but she forwarded my details onto someone who works for the AAC recruiting side of things so I could ask him some questions.(can’t remember his exact tittle I’m afraid but can find out if needed) I brought up with him that I had previously sat my CBAT with the RN and wondered if it was possible to transfer the score over as when I asked the question about what was the pass mark he said it is now 100. He said as long as the green bars were above the stanines with the AAC revised weightings then I wouldn’t need to sit another CBAT test and he would arrange all of it for me. I was then told that I would go straight to pre board then hopefully main board If I got a cat 1 or 2 pass at pre board. I would then sit my flight grading whilst at sandurst.

I’m still in the application process and waiting for a spot at pre board currently.

Thanks for the info.

Would you be okay with joining the army and not being able to fly?
Thanks for the info.

Would you be okay with joining the army and not being able to fly?

Tbh at this stage I genuinely would. The chance of doing some proper soldiering really appeals to me and its a top career regardless. Obviously the preference is the AAC and I'll need to see how the next couple of months go but certainly as a plan B I would consider other paths...

Quick Reply

Latest