The Student Room Group

'It depends on his/her personality'

Why do people(especially girls) have to say this when asked about dating someone.

It's just complete *******, especially when asking solely on looks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm really not that shallow, and I do think girls are not as shallow as men. Looks only matter a little to me, honestly. Confidence, good hair, good dress sense, intelligence and good manners can make a guy go from a 4 to an 8.
Reply 2
Original post by drowzee
I'm really not that shallow, and I do think girls are not as shallow as men. Looks only matter a little to me, honestly. Confidence, good hair, good dress sense, intelligence and good manners can make a guy go from a 4 to an 8.

would you date this guy as long as hes' honesty, confidence, has good hair, dresses nice and is intelligence' ?

download.jpg
Because looks do matter when it comes to physical attraction. If you aren't attracted to them then you are better of just being good friends.
People might say this to not seem shallow although it's completely normal to be attracted to someone based on their looks. After attraction though, a main factor in deciding whether to pursue a relationship with someone would be based on their personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by loveleest
Because looks do matter when it comes to physical attraction. If you aren't attracted to them then you are better of just being good friends.

exactly you dont wake up to an ugly face everyday in the morning
Reply 6
Original post by Foreverton
People might say this to not seem shallow although it's completely normal to be attracted to someone based on their looks. After attraction though, a main factor in deciding whether to pursue a relationship with someone would be based on their personality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

saying something like this is much better than saying ' it depends on their personality' b******
Reply 7
Original post by theBranicAc
would you date this guy as long as hes' honesty, confidence, has good hair, dresses nice and is intelligence' ?

download.jpg

I didn't mean someone I find completely unattractive. :rolleyes: If there is a guy I see, and when I look him I think "meh", he could win me over with the things I listed earlier and by having a good personality. I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend? Yes, looks matter to me for instant attraction, but a meh guy can become great overtime.
I don't care eitherway, I'm 4. I don't date
Reply 9
I can see your frustration. I definitely place a lot of importance on the person and their mindset before anything else but I'd be lying if I said looks didn't matter, as would any human unless they're physically incapable of noticing looks. Even then, an idea would be made based on voice and sounds. We all look at physical features, we're programmed to.

I found a quote some time ago on Facebook or something, and as gay (yes, that word has MULTIPLE definitions, look it up before you flame me) as it sounds, I think I swear by it. It goes along the lines of "When you start to fall in love with a person's personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful" and I think it's very accurate. Looks are entirely subjective and I'm sick of others telling me what I should and shouldn't find attractive.

Wow, that's turned into a rant, sorry.

In conclusion, yeah I get annoyed when people act like looks mean nothing because that's a blatant lie but I understand people who say they're less important than other factors. I wouldn't date someone based entirely on how they look and I don't think many others would either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well... you kind of have to be physical attracted to the person to find them likable too. When girls say that its a way to sound less shallow then they actually are but I'm sure if a person you deem unattractive was hitting on you, you wouldn't want to know their personality. Everyone is shallow to an extent but it just sounds better to say "i don't care bout looks! I care about personality".
Maybe we aren't all shallow?

It matters a bit, but as long as they are decent looking, and present themselves in a style/manner that I look for then that's me. 75% weighting to personality for me.
Looks definitely matter but for instant attraction - like if you see a girl who's pretty (in your eyes) you'd be attracted to her initially and might wanna talk to her. But it's not everything
I've known girls that are 10/10 but their personalities suck, like you can't keep a convo going without having awkward silences or 15mins of boring small talk. The reason why guys like/go out with those types of girls is because they only want 1 thing (you guessed it).

Otherwise an average/pretty looking girl with a personality that flows with your's is fine. Those people that completely dis regard looks are liars.

Btw if you're average and you've got a high status amongst a social group you're already quite attractive coz people pay more attention to those people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes looks do matter but for me personality is more important.

I rather go out with a guy that's average looking with a great personality than a hot guy with a terrible personalty.
Well, maybe people have tried to date soley based on looks and it hasn't worked out. If you intend to spend your life with someone they have to at least be decent in person RIGHT
You need some form of physical attraction first, just not find them ugly at least. And then it's all to do with their personality and how you get along with them. But of course, if someone finds you ugly, then there's no chance.

Looks are the only thing that matter with ONS's though.
Reply 16
Lmao if I'm not attracted to you it will never go anywhere
Reply 17
Original post by Eternalflames
I don't care eitherway, I'm 4. I don't date

Then you shouldn't be smoking...
Original post by theBranicAc
Why do people(especially girls) have to say this when asked about dating someone.

It's just complete b*****t, especially when asking solely on looks.

yes it's a lie just to sound good. But reality is that looks are very very important. And you can see it every day, you certainly notice that attractive guys have much more success with girls than non goodlooking ones.
I don't care about personality. I want hot hot hot girls, for example Iggy Azalea sounds arrogant but who wouldn't date her :biggrin:

Quick Reply