The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Racoon
Without the resurrection of Christ the fullness of salvation wouldn't have been complete.

Symbolic for us too, death to our old life and risen with Christ into a new life, being born again.

Thanks for the reply, but not quite what I was getting at.

Original post by Pride
What is the strongest argument for 2 + 2 equalling 4?I think the answer to that question is subjective. Or at least, we don't know whether there is an objectively correct answer.In the same way, I think whether the resurrection is the strongest argument for Christianity is subjective as well. Someone could say 'the biblical prophesies being fulfilled in Jesus is the strongest', or 'I received a vision and that is the most convincing evidence', or 'I just feel that it is true', or 'the revolutionary impact of Jesus' teachings is the strongest argument', or 'the impossibility of all the main religions/atheism is the strongest argument'. These are just examples, not things I necessarily would say, but it's that word 'strong' that is subjective - it brings in this idea of giving a 'value' to different arguments.It also depends on what you mean by the question. Do you mean, 'given the resurrection happened, that is the strongest evidence for Christianity being true'? Or do you mean 'the evidence for the resurrection is the best evidence in support of Christianity'? And finally, what do you mean by Christianity?Sorry if this response is OTT. I just find that question not as yes or no as it may seem.

I understand that it’s entirely subjective, which is why I was asking for everyone’s opinion. In short, I’ve seen a lot of Christians rely on the historical evidence for the Resurrection as the basis of their faith, I was just wondering if people here did the same.
Original post by Boondock Saint

I understand that it’s entirely subjective, which is why I was asking for everyone’s opinion. In short, I’ve seen a lot of Christians rely on the historical evidence for the Resurrection as the basis of their faith, I was just wondering if people here did the same.

It's the cornerstone of my faith in Christianity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boondock Saint

Oh I see. I think even with the clarification, I still find that a difficult question to answer. I think I am aware of lots of intellectual arguments for the gospel (prophesy fulfilment, historicity of scripture/resurrection, transcendental argument, teleological argument etc.). I can use these to make a case for Christ to others. But I also recognise the importance of my subjective experiences and understanding of the world in my faith. In other words, Christianity best coincides with the world (the earth, people, human behaviour) I see around me and what I experience.
(edited 7 years ago)
1 John 4:1-3

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already
Are you drifting, are you letting the worries of life drag you away from Jesus?

Jesus tells us to keep anchored in him. We need to keep anchored to Him so we don't drift away and overcome with the worries of every day.

We need to be anchored to hope. going out expecting God to be good to us and for better days ahead.

Look at David and Goliath. He kept his anchor of hope in God and defeated the giant.

Where we don't see a way we know God has it planned out, we just need to keep anchored to Him.

Our hearts, our spirit become sick if we lose our hope. Stress and worry runs us down, God says stay anchored to me I am your hope in this life.

This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil - Hebrews 6 v 19
It's been a while since I've been on here, hope you're all doing awesome!! May God watch over you all always and keep you safe. :angelwings:
The christian bible says that children must obey their parents unless their intentions are sinful, but recently i was wondering, do i have to obey my parents if their decisions are wrong but not sinful. Take this for example, there is a child who wants to be a doctor while the father and mother want the child to be a mechanical engineer ( possibly the parents share a strong ambition for mechanical engineering, they want the child to do it and evidently fail to see beyond their own bias) so all the decisions made by the parents, ( mostly in regard to education ) are in pursuit of equipping the child with knowledge and skills relevant to mechanical engineering. The child is sure that they do not want to do this, he/she knows he/she is ambitious about being a doctor and tells the parents but they do not listen. Even though the parents did not listen, if the child had the chance to define his/her destiny should he/she follow through with it or obey their parents and do something that they evidently did not want to do? (I did a similar post to this somewhere else it's called "Obedience in the bible" you can respond on this there if you want).
The heavens declare the glory of the living God.
Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse
Just wanted to share something with you all: I attended my first-ever live gospel concert yesterday! One of my BBC Proms 2016 season tickets. I of course knew what gospel sounded like and had seen it on TV but had never experienced it live. It was really uplifting :h:

Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
The christian bible says that children must obey their parents unless their intentions are sinful, but recently i was wondering, do i have to obey my parents if their decisions are wrong but not sinful. Take this for example, there is a child who wants to be a doctor while the father and mother want the child to be a mechanical engineer ( possibly the parents share a strong ambition for mechanical engineering, they want the child to do it and evidently fail to see beyond their own bias) so all the decisions made by the parents, ( mostly in regard to education ) are in pursuit of equipping the child with knowledge and skills relevant to mechanical engineering. The child is sure that they do not want to do this, he/she knows he/she is ambitious about being a doctor and tells the parents but they do not listen. Even though the parents did not listen, if the child had the chance to define his/her destiny should he/she follow through with it or obey their parents and do something that they evidently did not want to do? (I did a similar post to this somewhere else it's called "Obedience in the bible" you can respond on this there if you want).

@da_nolo gave some very pertinent advice on your thread :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Just wanted to share something with you all: I attended my first-ever live gospel concert yesterday! One of my BBC Proms 2016 season tickets. I of course knew what gospel sounded like and had seen it on TV but had never experienced it live. It was really uplifting :h:

That's so nice, was it at the Albert Hall?
Original post by Racoon
That's so nice, was it at the Albert Hall?

Yes, it was a late-night BBC Prom, so start at 10.15pm! Finished around 11.30pm. Really enjoyed it and so nice to see people so joyously and openly singing about their love of/for God :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Yes, it was a late-night BBC Prom, so start at 10.15pm! Finished around 11.30pm. Really enjoyed it and so nice to see people so joyously and openly singing about their love of/for God :smile:

I love the sound of that, it would have been something I'd have loved to go along to. Friends go to the proms all the time but it doesn't appeal but that one would have. So glad your outing went well.:h:
Original post by Racoon
I love the sound of that, it would have been something I'd have loved to go along to. Friends go to the proms all the time but it doesn't appeal but that one would have. So glad your outing went well.:h:

Thanks! Sorry, I should have thought to advertise it in here, since I'm sure it would appeal to many! I'll try and remember next time :colondollar: They've done gospel Proms before (they've realised the classical audience is largely older and they risk a large portion of their demographic dying out in the next 20 years or so, so are trying to produce a more varied programme these days). We could turn it into an X-Soc meet :colone:
I know no Christian teenagers in my area - such a problem for me :/
Reply 6195
Original post by Macauley Ware

What is your area?

:console: That must be quite isolating for you :frown:

That's a shame. Could you try and find some, perhaps in a local church.
To be perfectly honest about it -

I am a new Christian, months into it - no one in my family is Christian and i've never been to church/worship anything - i don't even know what led me to be Christian (other than God). But i am becoming more devout and obedient each day, however as of yet i haven't gone to any youth groups etc, and I'm - to be perfectly honest - a little fearful of doing it all on my own, though I'm more open to the idea as time goes on because i see the importance of a God centred community.
To be perfectly honest about it -

I am a new Christian, months into it - no one in my family is Christian and i've never been to church/worship anything - i don't even know what led me to be Christian (other than God). But i am becoming more devout and obedient each day, however as of yet i haven't gone to any youth groups etc, and I'm - to be perfectly honest - a little fearful of doing it all on my own, though I'm more open to the idea as time goes on because i see the importance of a God centred community.

It's great that you have been making such wonderful progress in your journey all by yourself - well done! :yep:

It can be a bit nervewracking, joining youth groups, etc. without knowing anyone else. I guess the thing to remember is that people will be ready and willing to welcome you with open arms and help you along your way. It's just a matter of finding a group that you feel comfortable with, and whose theology/attitude/practice sits well with you :smile: It's OK to try things and to shop around - don't let anyone chain you down or try to indoctrinate you, etc. That goes for every denomination! :yes:

In the meantime, we are always here to answer questions, be your TSR buddy and to walk with you in your journey :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending