The Student Room Group

Sharing accommodation with girlfriend possible?

So I'm off to uni, in my home town, and planning to move out (purely wanted to move out the house) my girlfriend doesn't go to uni, she is currently on an apprenticeship. I know university owned/managed accommodation doesn't offer both of us living together, but I was wondering, do private companies such as UniCom allow this? A flat for example? Will my student loan work with this? Please help.
Original post by DamoRazz
So I'm off to uni, in my home town, and planning to move out (purely wanted to move out the house) my girlfriend doesn't go to uni, she is currently on an apprenticeship. I know university owned/managed accommodation doesn't offer both of us living together, but I was wondering, do private companies such as UniCom allow this? A flat for example? Will my student loan work with this? Please help.

This is something you would need to check with the companies or any potential landlords if we are talking about a private house/flat themselves. Not sure what you are trying to ask about the student loan? It is yours to spend as you wish however you don't get more to pay for your girlfriends rent.
if you can afford somewhere private then in theory you can get somewhere (although no student specific places will take your girlfriend and you might find some landlords also don't want to take a student) but I'd imagine you'd struggle to afford it on student loans and apprenticeship wages, bear in mind all your bills, internet, council tax (she will be eligible I think), food, insurance etc

also, I really don't think it's a good idea to move in together in your first year, you will change a lot in this time and living with your girlfriend will really affect you making friends, leave it 12 months and move in then if you still want to
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending