The Student Room Group

Freshers Waiting Room

Freshers 2016-2017
Hello everybody!

As you all may know, Freshers is quite a big introduction to university. It's your chance to meet a lot of new people (and that means remembering a lot of names..) and to just have a jolly good time before you knuckle down and begin life as a university student.

The good news is that the time is almost here :u: Why not use this opportunity to find and talk to people that are 'in the same boat' so to speak. What aspects of uni life are you looking forward to? What are you most nervous about? Share your thoughts!

However, if you would rather speak to people from your specific uni then you can view the entire list right here. Don't be afraid to create a Freshers thread as there are plenty of people in your position :biggrin:

Don't forget to visit our Freshers' Week Hub! It's full of all kinds of interesting, as well as essential tips, about Freshers. You can find everything from articles on what to prepare for your first week to making friends to freshers activities and more! In the near future there will be some great new content on there, so stay tuned for that! :u:

Finally, I am myself a student from the University of Sussex, so if anyone is going there - hello! But if you have any specific questions then just @ me and I will reply ASAP! :excited: If its about uni life, what happens in Freshers etc, anything that comes to mind basically - then please do not hesitate. We are here to help :h:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PugDevil
Freshers 2016-2017
Hello everybody!

As you all may know, Freshers is quite a big introduction to university. It's your chance to meet a lot of new people (and that means remembering a lot of names..) and to just have a jolly good time before you knuckle down and begin life as a university student.

The good news is that the time is almost here :u: Why not use this opportunity to find and talk to people that are 'in the same boat' so to speak. What aspects of uni life are you looking forward to? What are you most nervous about? Share your thoughts!

However, if you would rather speak to people from your specific uni then you can view the entire list right here. Don't be afraid to create a Freshers thread as there are plenty of people in your position :biggrin:

Don't forget to visit our Freshers' Week Hub! It's full of all kinds of interesting, as well as essential tips, about Freshers.

Finally, I am myself a student from the University of Sussex, so if anyone is going there - hello! But if you have any specific questions then just @ me and I will reply ASAP! :excited: If its about uni life, what happens in Freshers etc, anything that comes to mind basically - then please do not hesitate. We are here to help :h:

Love this thread! I think it's a fantastic little place to help the upcoming Freshers! As PugDevil has said WE ARE HERE TO HELP. With that in mind...
Hello! :biggrin:
I'm JustGeorgeJ, I'm about to go in to my Third Year at Bishop Grosseteste University (BGU) in Lincoln. If you are heading up there in September and soon to be a Fresher, feel free to ask my questions or direct message me regarding any worries, concerns or general queries you have - or just say hi if you want to make a friend that's already at the university!
University of Lincoln Students!
Now obviously I don't go to this university but if you want to make a friend that knows Lincoln, when you yourself don't, then also feel free to say hi! I can still provide advice on university and pace you to people that study at the university to help you out - but again, if you just want another friend in the city - feel free to say hi!

Most importantly, as the OP says, it is a case of all being in "the same boat". The feelings you have a most definitely a mixture and I can guarantee 99.9% of what you are feeling is perfectly natural and common amongst all Freshers!

Don't suffer alone - talk about it, again, WE ARE HERE TO HELP. :biggrin:
Hi guys, thanks for starting this thread. I wanted to know, what did you guys buy for uni ahead of Freshers and what did you bring with you on the first day?
Reply 3
Original post by CaliforNeema
Hi guys, thanks for starting this thread. I wanted to know, what did you guys buy for uni ahead of Freshers and what did you bring with you on the first day?

Hello!

No problem, it is always nice to share what I went through to help others! :biggrin:

The main things you want to focus on is your bedroom and then kitchen stuff. So like you'll need a washing basket for dirty clothes, hangers for your clothes, bedding etc etc. Then for kitchen you will need stuff like saucepans, knifes, forks, plates etc. I also went on a clothes splurge because student loan was incoming :colone:

You can find a list right here, but it may not have everything on there. I'd recommend looking around, but IKEA is good for some cheap things. When I left on the morning to go to university, the car was absolutely filled to the brim! I would literally take everything and anything from home - no reason why you shouldn't! Halls will be your new/second home anyway so you want to feel as comfortable as you can.

Hope that helps, if not then I shall try again :tongue:
That was very informative, thank you! What about stationary and technology wise?
Reply 5
That was very informative, thank you! What about stationary and technology wise?

I would say if you've got a laptop then definitely bring it, if not then it's not the end of the world because I'm sure you will have some computers on campus. Student loan would be great to invest in one though because it'll come in handy! A printer is also good, but again, you can always print things off at the campus library (provided there is one) but this just costs a little bit of money every time.

For stationary, I think you just need pens and notepads? Anything else you could pick up in the town your university is located - always good to explore your surroundings! :biggrin:
Thank you very much!
If there's clubby type freshers event then I'm not interested. I'm nervous about leaving home more than anything.
Reply 8
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
If there's clubby type freshers event then I'm not interested. I'm nervous about leaving home more than anything.

There will most likely be some fresher events like that, but there are always other events for people that don't like that as universities realise that clubbing isn't everyone's cup of tea :smile: When I was coming to uni I didn't think I'd like it either, but I did! After a year of it though it did get a bit boring :wink:

I was a bit apprehensive about leaving home as well - I wouldn't be surprised if most people are as it is a massive change! It might take a little while to settle in, but after a couple of weeks you've got your routines and it'll start feeling like home. Worst comes to worst, you could go home every weekend if that is an option :h:
Original post by PugDevil
There will most likely be some fresher events like that, but there are always other events for people that don't like that

I do hope so as I really cannot stand that kind of stuff. I've never wanted to do them and stories I hear from people make it sound like hell.

Worst comes to worst, you could go home every weekend if that is an option :h:

If only this were an option however I'm about 4 hours from home, £60 petrol £90 train. I should be okay after a little while though.
Not really that fussed about Freshers week as I'm not into clubbing and don't drink since alcohol = :dumbells: don't
go together aswell as religious reasons.

+ Only societies that I know from the top of my head I'll be joining is my subject society I.e Physics society, join my university gym and perhaps Muay Thai university club.

It might not sound a lot but I'm being realistic in what I'll be able to juggle once university starts and what I can adhere to throughout my degree unlike people joining random hippy clubs for freebies & spam emails. :lol:

Hello! :smile:
I bought a considerable amount to be honest - I've had to go back through two years of Instagram posts to find the one with all my stuff!
I took with me pillows, duvet, kitchen stuff (pots, pans, oven glove, dish towels etc), lamps for my room, clothes horse, ornaments and so on and so forth. Items such as pictures of family and friends, I took my laptop, speakers and Xbox with me, as well as a docking station, a lot of clothes and posters and stuff - the list goes on, in the end I discovered I didn't need a lot of it! I just needed things to make me feel at home and to really make my room - mine. If that makes sense? You'll always pack too much and slowly discover the things you thought you didn't need, you do and vice versa!

Hope that helps!

Original post by EdwardBarfield9

Hi :biggrin:

Most evening Freshers events will be clubby - they usually start in the SU (not that you have to drink) and then most people move onto the clubs!
Day time Freshers events are fun and interesting though - try and attend as many as you can!

Being nervous about leaving home is completely natural feeling for most students and there is nothing wrong with it.
It's just about getting stuck into the university life style! Once you'll there, just make sure you get stuck in!

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Not really that fussed about Freshers week as I'm not into clubbing and don't drink since alcohol = :dumbells: don't
go together aswell as religious reasons.

+ Only societies that I know from the top of my head I'll be joining is my subject society I.e Physics society, join my university gym and perhaps Muay Thai university club.

It might not sound a lot but I'm being realistic in what I'll be able to juggle once university starts and what I can adhere to throughout my degree unlike people joining random hippy clubs for freebies & spam emails. :lol:

Hello :smile:

Don't be silly, that sounds like you've got a good plan ahead of you - it's good to be realistic about what you can juggle! Sounds like a plan!

Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 12
It is kinda disappointed when I found that the university I decided to go for study in this September don't have my favourite sport. >.<
And if you're going to Warwick, lectures start 2 days after you arrive! :frown:
Reply 14
Just a tip. If you're buying stuff before you actually move there, just get the essentials. Most of the stuff can be bought once you're moved or just ordered online. It will give you less packing and unpacking and you don't risk breaking the stuff. Like if you buy a dining set instead of taking stuff from home and end up breaking it in the travel so have to buy a new one anyway
Original post by Tinnyc
It is kinda disappointed when I found that the university I decided to go for study in this September don't have my favourite sport. >.<

Disappointing? No! Opportunity! They may not have your favourite sport, but why not create a society and run that sport? Creating a society is fairly simple to do and the process isn't too bad and if you're bringing another sport to the campus - I think the university will love it!
Hope you give it ago!

Original post by ryanroks1

Hey :biggrin:

Two days?! Pft! When I started university, my lectures were the next day! I still had permanent marker cat whiskers on my face in the first lecture - but as someone has mentioned the first couple of weeks of lectures are fairly laid back so you can still enjoy your Freshers during that too! and also, you'll still have time to settle it and what not!
Reply 16
Original post by JustGeorgeJ

Disappointing? No! Opportunity! They may not have your favourite sport, but why not create a society and run that sport? Creating a society is fairly simple to do and the process isn't too bad and if you're bringing another sport to the campus - I think the university will love it!
Hope you give it ago!

Well, I wish I have enough time to create a martial arts club within one year.It is simple to create a society, but it is kind of hard to do for me as an international student without a real deep understanding about the National organisation of that particular sport in UK.
[QUOTE="Tinnyc;66530992"]
Original post by JustGeorgeJ

Hope you give it ago!

Well, I wish I have enough time to create a martial arts club within one year.It is simple to create a society, but it is kind of hard to do for me as an international student without a real deep understanding about the National organisation of that particular sport in UK.

Understandable - however, if you find people with the similar interest, you want have to do it alone and may be able to start one up with somebody else. Just keep your eye out for other people that may be interested at your university!
Original post by ryanroks1

And if you're going to oxford they even send you work for u to submit during freshers... :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by rohan.nuck
And if you're going to oxford they even send you work for u to submit during freshers... :frown:

Oh damn.. that's not very nice :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending