The Student Room Group

Stick to City or apply again next year?

Hi guys, I'm really looking for some advice as I have an important decision to make and I would like to hear from people who experienced a similar situation. I have an unconditional offer for law from City University London, I had to obtain 80/100 in my final exam (I'm from Italy) . Thing is, I managed to score 98/100 and now I'm not sure whether I should stick to City or aim higher and apply again next year. There's no way I can use adjustment as I didn't sit the LNAT test and the unis I'm interested in require it. Also, with the outcome of Brexit, I'm not sure I will be granted a student loan (that I now have) if I enroll in 2017. I'm not particularly satisfied and I feel like wasting my grade, but at the same time I was awarded a scolarship from the uni so I feel kinda sorry, so basically, what would you do?
(edited 7 years ago)
City is a solid law school with Good connections to commercial law firms. Personally I don't think it's worth waiting a year, you have decent grades so that won't hold you back from any training contract applications
Reply 2
Original post by neal95
City is a solid law school with Good connections to commercial law firms. Personally I don't think it's worth waiting a year, you have decent grades so that won't hold you back from any training contract applications

Thank you, so the fact that it's not part of the Russell Group won't be a major disadvantage?
Original post by SilviaEmma
Thank you, so the fact that it's not part of the Russell Group won't be a major disadvantage?

Definitely not. If you check out the LinkedIn profiles by googling "city law school trainee solicitors LinkedIn" then you will see the future employers of these people
(edited 7 years ago)
98/100 seems really good. I'm not sure how the Italian exam system works, but wouldn't that be equivalent to straight A*s in UK A Levels? If so, I would definitely recommend applying to better universities. You could probably get into Oxbridge/LSE with those grades.

The UK hasn't left the EU yet, and won't for at least 2 years after the government enacts article 50, so I think you will still be able to get a loan next year.
Reply 5
Original post by neal95
Definitely not. If you check out the LinkedIn profiles by googling "city law school trainee solicitors LinkedIn" then you will see the future employers of these people

Yes I saw it has good employment prospects, maybe I'm just too focused on the league tables, thank you
Reply 6
Original post by anonwinner
98/100 seems really good. I'm not sure how the Italian exam system works, but wouldn't that be equivalent to straight A*s in UK A Levels? If so, I would definitely recommend applying to better universities. You could probably get into Oxbridge/LSE with those grades.

The UK hasn't left the EU yet, and won't for at least 2 years after the government enacts article 50, so I think you will still be able to get a loan next year.

Yes 98 should be like A*A*A, it's really good. I wanted to apply to Oxbridge but I didn't think I was going to achieve this result, I checked the entry requirements for law at Oxford and it says at least 95/100, that's probably why I'm so confused, I don't want to end up wasting a year, but at the same time I want to make use of my results.
Original post by SilviaEmma
Yes 98 should be like A*A*A, it's really good. I wanted to apply to Oxbridge but I didn't think I was going to achieve this result, I checked the entry requirements for law at Oxford and it says at least 95/100, that's probably why I'm so confused, I don't want to end up wasting a year, but at the same time I want to make use of my results.

So you easily meet the Oxbridge requirements.
Definitely reapply to better unis!
Reply 8
I'm tempted to do so, yet I know it's hard to get in even with perfect grades 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending