The Student Room Group

Is it safe to not have periods?

Im on Cerazette and I don't have periods anymore. Although this is obviously very convenient, it does make me feel a bit anxious about my fertility/health.

I think I just need someone to explain to me why the POP pill stops periods and why its safe?

What does it mean if you don't have periods? Does it mean your not ovulating and therefore theres no build up in the womb? Could this cause fertility problems in the future as my menstrual cycle has been stunted? It just feels rather unnatural as I'm not pregnant !
Yep, progesterone stops ovulation.

No, it doesn't directly affect your future fertility. If you have untreated chlamydia etc for ages as a result of not using condoms, you can have fertility problems.

This 'I'm not having periods, that feels wrong' is why the combined pill has a week-long break, so that most women have a withdrawal bleed. As the progesterone only pills have to be taken continuously, any bleeding is more random / doesn't happen at all.
Reply 2
Original post by unprinted
Yep, progesterone stops ovulation.

No, it doesn't directly affect your future fertility. If you have untreated chlamydia etc for ages as a result of not using condoms, you can have fertility problems.

This 'I'm not having periods, that feels wrong' is why the combined pill has a week-long break, so that most women have a withdrawal bleed. As the progesterone only pills have to be taken continuously, any bleeding is more random / doesn't happen at all.

I was on the combined pill before this and would run as many packs together as I could, but had to switch to POP. so no periods/extended time without is what I always wanted.

So does that mean my eggs are just being stored/not 'wasted'/used? and as soon as I come off the pill they will start releasing as normal again? and I'm guessing the combined pill also stops ovulation, so if there is a withdrawal bleed every month how is there even a womb lining to shed? surely someone on the POP pill would have something to shed too?
You were born with hundreds of thousands (at least, some say millions) of immature ova in your ovaries. Only a tiny fraction, a few hundred, ever develop. Being pregnant or using hormonal contraception just reduces that number. In both cases, once that stops, the development resumes.

The oestrogen in the combined pill means it has different effects on the body...
Reply 4
Original post by unprinted
You were born with hundreds of thousands (at least, some say millions) of immature ova in your ovaries. Only a tiny fraction, a few hundred, ever develop. Being pregnant or using hormonal contraception just reduces that number. In both cases, once that stops, the development resumes.

The oestrogen in the combined pill means it has different effects on the body...

okay thank you so much for all the info. So theres no negative effects of me not having a period for like 5years if i was to continue taking the pill for that long?
None.

Quick Reply

Latest