The Student Room Group

NCS & Anxiety

Scroll to see replies

I'm worried because I'm going this summer, in 3 days actually, and I didn't disclose on the form that I self harmed and had an eating disorder because I got a diagnosis after I applied. I also didn't let them know I was vegan and I feel like it's too late to call up and tell them, plus I'm not the best for phone calls. I'm nervous because if it's really hot I will look odd wearing a jumper/hoodie and trousers when everyone else is wearing short sleeved shirts and shorts. On top of that, I'm extremely scared about the food aspect of things and eating in front of strangers. Sorry for this long post, it probably doesn't make the most sense but I'm panicky haha.:s-smilie:
Reply 21
I'm going next week and I have anxiety and dissacociation and I tend to stay up all night and sleep late and I'm terrified for the people and I have food allergies as well and not knowing what is in my
food makes me panic and my parents think it's going to be good for me but also i'm terrified i'm going to have a breakdown and have to leave my best friend alone
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
I'm worried because I'm going this summer, in 3 days actually, and I didn't disclose on the form that I self harmed and had an eating disorder because I got a diagnosis after I applied. I also didn't let them know I was vegan and I feel like it's too late to call up and tell them, plus I'm not the best for phone calls. I'm nervous because if it's really hot I will look odd wearing a jumper/hoodie and trousers when everyone else is wearing short sleeved shirts and shorts. On top of that, I'm extremely scared about the food aspect of things and eating in front of strangers. Sorry for this long post, it probably doesn't make the most sense but I'm panicky haha.:s-smilie:

I have literally identical issues (they know about food but not mental illness and i feel like I cant just be like yo severe social anxiety)

I suggest that as soon as you arrive you ask your team leader for the area manager or whoever the senior NCS person is on site. Tell her/him theres somethings you didnt disclose on your medical form they need to know about. You can then tell her you're vegan and you struggle with self harm, or if you're uncomfortable saying it ask for some paper so you can write it all down and give it her. I was apparently supposed to disclose I had anxiety, but as I was diagnosed 4 days before I set off for week 1 I didn't have chance to. They're meant to give you support or something so you feel comfortable, like maybe let you get your food at different times to the majority of people.

Original post by 1olah
I'm going next week and I have anxiety and dissacociation and I tend to stay up all night and sleep late and I'm terrified for the people and I have food allergies as well and not knowing what is in my
food makes me panic and my parents think it's going to be good for me but also i'm terrified i'm going to have a breakdown and have to leave my best friend alone

My best friend signed up with me and even though I'm not with her, she's doing fine. She finds it much easier than me to talk to people than and she's met loads of new friends. But to be fair, she knew loads of people going with us whilst I didn't know anyone except her, so really she didn't need me. I think your friend will be fine, and if she hates it you can always ring her in the evenings so she has someone to talk to.
Reply 24
I suggest that as soon as you arrive you ask your team leader for the area manager or whoever the senior NCS person is on site. Tell her/him theres somethings you didnt disclose on your medical form they need to know about. You can then tell her you're vegan and you struggle with self harm, or if you're uncomfortable saying it ask for some paper so you can write it all down and give it her. I was apparently supposed to disclose I had anxiety, but as I was diagnosed 4 days before I set off for week 1 I didn't have chance to. They're meant to give you support or something so you feel comfortable, like maybe let you get your food at different times to the majority of people.

My best friend signed up with me and even though I'm not with her, she's doing fine. She finds it much easier than me to talk to people than and she's met loads of new friends. But to be fair, she knew loads of people going with us whilst I didn't know anyone except her, so really she didn't need me. I think your friend will be fine, and if she hates it you can always ring her in the evenings so she has someone to talk to.

my dad has now decided I have to go. well ****.
Original post by dexterminate
NCS means? Sorry, bit lost here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

national citizen service. It's a programme that they heckle young people to go on every year when they get to year 11. I also have a mental disorder and knew straight away that I would hate it, so i refused to go despite being almost forced to go by a phone operator that would not stop ringing me or my parents. Would not recommend.

Spoiler

Well i was meant to go but i knew right away that i would hate it because i told them about my depression and they were like oh don't worry you'll forget about it as soon as you start doing things. like, no. thats not how it works. and they told me not to bring my medication with me because "i wouldn't need them". utter BS.
Original post by hazellawrence
Well i was meant to go but i knew right away that i would hate it because i told them about my depression and they were like oh don't worry you'll forget about it as soon as you start doing things. like, no. thats not how it works. and they told me not to bring my medication with me because "i wouldn't need them". utter BS.

That's horrible. Just like telling someone with heart problems not to bring theirs like, you just wouldn't do it. I know that the admin is disorganised and it appears that most of the funding goes into advertising, as I have minor dietary requirements and they were completely overlooked. But people who are lactose intolerant and are vegan get catered for. It seems that they make arrangements for only extreme of cases, such as physical illnesses and the dietary types mentioned before.

If anyone else here suffers from a mental disorder this is the last bit of advice I can really muster: it can be a beneficial program for phobias of height, being socially awkward etc. But please do not sign up if you think you'll be able to get better control of your problems, because you are likely not to. The program is a giant step up for anyone because unlike school, you don't know anyone and the staff don't know you enough to properly support you.

If you want to make a real change to your community, or you want to push yourself out your comfort zone volunteering once a week is a great step. Find something you like to do, whether that's animals or children and its likely that you will greatly enjoy yourself. DofE is also another fantastic solution. I did Bronze level and that really did change my life unlike this government scheme. It was done in small amounts and it incorporates any current hobbies you do. And the expedition is led up to, so you wouldn't get thrown into having to stay with loads of people you don't know. I know I sound like I'm advertising, but I really did enjoy it. Only annoying part is the walking.

The fact that on the NCS website a story about a girl who suffers from anxiety is on there annoys me. She was saying how it increased the amount of time she had before she had an anxiety attack. Its almost like saying anyone with any mental disorder can go and enjoy it. Like no, everyone with anxiety suffers from different things.
i have social anxiety and i hated ncs too. i was in a tent with some of my good friends but i wasn't able to hang out with them during the day or at lunch because they were in a different group to me. i really hated the group i was in for the four weeks because they were all very extroverted and all had such a 'lad' mentality, i felt very much alone. i kept on going to the mentors, several times in tears, telling them i'd like to change groups because i wasn't getting on. they didn't listen. worst four weeks of my life tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest