The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krishdesai7
Since they used the word legal embargo, I'm guessing it's government rule in which case it should apply everywhere in England (?) Maybe Cambridge is a little more firm about following this rule than other unis?

Idk really I'm just speculating. I do suppose it'd be terribly nice if I could know about how the condition is going to play out earlier...

Possibly... I know certain other unis are pretty lax about admissions rules. I know somebody who was asked in an interview which other universities they'd applied to and whether it was their first choice :lol:

Original post by jneill
Did they have A-levels or IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A levels
Original post by physicsmaths
Who knows what to believe lol.
All i know is homerton summerpooled a 1,1 person but let in 1,3 2,2 etc. Weird.
I may be screwed, should find out soon though.

But they still got in (somewhere else) didn't they?
Original post by jneill
But they still got in (somewhere else) didn't they?

Yep they did, but several others from other colleges got 1,1 but were rejected :frown:.
Um guys an FOI my sister had asked for me has come through. It's from Emmanuel but I think the overall behaviour of colleges in this regard is more less similar(?) Anyway, here it is https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/missed_step_offer_conditions?nocache=incoming-841219#incoming-841219
Um guys an FOI my sister had asked for me has come through. It's from Emmanuel but I think the overall behaviour of colleges in this regard is more less similar(?) Anyway, here it is https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/missed_step_offer_conditions?nocache=incoming-841219#incoming-841219

Doesn't include summer pooled and accepted elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Doesn't include summer pooled and accepted elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm true. But there's a discrepancy with the other foi, no?
Hmm true. But there's a discrepancy with the other foi, no?

Your FOI also implies people with 1,1 were summerpooled aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your FOI also implies people with 1,1 were summerpooled aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it? I don't see any 1 and 1 students.
Original post by jneill
Does it? I don't see any 1 and 1 students.

The numbers dnt add.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So that means people who made 1,1 were not accepted by emmanuel although probably accepted by another college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So that means people who made 1,1 were not accepted by emmanuel although probably accepted by another college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Also maybe some who didn't take up the place. Or deferred??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I don't think that's necessarily the case. Also maybe some who didn't take up the place. Or deferred??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm. That's particularly likely if they're international. Many people who apply abroad apply to the US etc too and since American colleges don't have the concept of conditional offer, you're either in or not, many choose to go there.

I'm not too sure about the deferred bit tho. Idk about other colleges but since interview time Emma has consistently reminded us that they strongly discourage deferal.
Hmm. That's particularly likely if they're international. Many people who apply abroad apply to the US etc too and since American colleges don't have the concept of conditional offer, you're either in or not, many choose to go there.

I'm not too sure about the deferred bit tho. Idk about other colleges but since interview time Emma has consistently reminded us that they strongly discourage deferal.

Yes that's true. Queens' is positively fine about it, and Christ's have said it's ok, but others are against it.

I just don't see any "1 and 1" in your FOI. And therefore all those with "1 and 1" offers were accepted (including, I imagine, those who missed the A-level requirement). Unless I'm blind or stupid...
Hey everybody, pretty sure no one remembers me but I was once a Cambridge hopeful too (wow it sounds and feels like ages since I was rejected even if it was only half a year ago lol). Anyway, I got the results for my weird qualification and they were great, and it's given a real boost to my mood and confidence. But I'm not the main point of this post: the point is that you guys are amazing and you really deserve to make your offers and feel what I'm feeling right now, so with less than one month (is it?) till results day I want to send you my good wishes :h: you go guys! It will all be okay and you'll have a great time at Cambridge, I'm sure :h:
@FellowMathmos are you planning on doing much mechanics over the summer? I havent planned it into my stuff so Ill probably just do a random step q every now and then. Should I be doing more? just that some m4/m5 techniques seem like the sort of things that could go a bit out of practise.
Original post by maracatinca
Hey everybody, pretty sure no one remembers me but I was once a Cambridge hopeful too (wow it sounds and feels like ages since I was rejected even if it was only half a year ago lol). Anyway, I got the results for my weird qualification and they were great, and it's given a real boost to my mood and confidence. But I'm not the main point of this post: the point is that you guys are amazing and you really deserve to make your offers and feel what I'm feeling right now, so with less than one month (is it?) till results day I want to send you my good wishes :h: you go guys! It will all be okay and you'll have a great time at Cambridge, I'm sure :h:

I remember you! I really like your avatar XD
Very nice of you to pop in and send us a lovely message :smile: congratulations for your results and I hope you're well too. Good luck with whatever you have planned for your future and please do continue to pop in and have a chat with us :biggrin:
Original post by EnglishMuon
@FellowMathmos are you planning on doing much mechanics over the summer? I havent planned it into my stuff so Ill probably just do a random step q every now and then. Should I be doing more? just that some m4/m5 techniques seem like the sort of things that could go a bit out of practise.

Not a mathmo, but from fellow mathmos I know, they say that the mechanics you do in first year is more dyanmics (obvious from the course title). So I'd concentrate on dynamics, scrap any statics from M4/5 if there is any, I can't remember. Quite a lot is done on rotational dynamics including inertia tensors, a bit on wave theory etc
Original post by Protoxylic
Not a mathmo, but from fellow mathmos I know, they say that the mechanics you do in first year is more dyanmics (obvious from the course title). So I'd concentrate on dynamics, scrap any statics from M4/5 if there is any, I can't remember. Quite a lot is done on rotational dynamics including inertia tensors, a bit on wave theory etc

Ah I see, thank you. Yeah there was a bit of inertia and stuff in M5 but wasn't any more than manipulating a few expressions.
Original post by EnglishMuon
Ah I see, thank you. Yeah there was a bit of inertia and stuff in M5 but wasn't any more than manipulating a few expressions.

Your probably better off starting Dynamics if you want to do some mechanics.
(I duno y ur doing mech tho :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes that's true. Queens' is positively fine about it, and Christ's have said it's ok, but others are against it.

I just don't see any "1 and 1" in your FOI. And therefore all those with "1 and 1" offers were accepted (including, I imagine, those who missed the A-level requirement). Unless I'm blind or stupid...

Yeah that's what I thought too, but after reading physicsmaths's post, I presumed I was stupid and was missing something.

It makes sense too. Emma's condition from what current students there tell me is nearly always 1, 1 it isn't one of the S,1 or S, S colleges...
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending