The Student Room Group

Drug use to blame for recent terrorist attacks.

So says Peter Hitchens, I suspect this is driven more by his own brand of religious extremism but could there be something to it?

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2016/07/is-the-latest-mass-murder-really-incomprehensible-.html
Reply 1
Lol I was going to read the article until I saw his quite frankly very arrogant "NB" addition at the top. What a silly thing to put at the very start of your article?

Then again this is the Daily Mail.

Summarise it for me if you want.
Original post by Inexorably
Summarise it for me if you want.

Over the weekend he got the strong impression (on Twitter) that many people would rather have an enemy to fear than an explanation, it seems he would like this enemy to be Psychiatric medication, cannabis and steroids. He isn't convinced that the attackers were religious and lists recent attacks where the attackers have links to those drugs as a more likely explanation. He assures us he isn't an apologist for Islam, then goes on twitter to rant about all drug users being selfish sinners.
(edited 7 years ago)
What evidence is there that drugs are behind terrorist attacks. What about the lorry driver at the bastille festival? He wasn't under the influence of drugs, but he still killed 84 people, including 10 CHILDREN!
Original post by Mvine001
What evidence is there that drugs are behind terrorist attacks. What about the lorry driver at the bastille festival? He wasn't under the influence of drugs, but he still killed 84 people, including 10 CHILDREN!

[His wife’s] cousin, Walid Hamou, said: "Bouhlel was not religious. He did not go to the mosque, he did not pray, he did not observe Ramadan. He drank alcohol, ate pork and took drugs.

Wissam, another neighbour, said: "He was someone who drinks and smokes joints.
lol, always ready to blame anything but the terrorists themselves and their ideology.
Reply 6
Let me tell you something, if there is anything that might fix the war in Syria, it's some Marijuana and a record of Jimi Hendrix.
I wish it was as simple as that: just play some music and everybody's happy. Would be better for the world.
What an absolute ****ing nutter.

But we are not thinking very hard about this. As I have many times pointed out, the common factor in almost all these killings (and I say ‘almost only because in some cases the evidence has not been investigated or is - bizarrely and suspiciously - sealed) is mind-altering drugs of three types:Psychiatric medication (as evidenced, for instance, in the Columbine and San Bernardino episodes, and in a Finnish school shooting, and possibly present in Nice);
So people with severe mental illness are more likely to do radical, irrational things? Shocking!! Give him a Nobel Prize!!!!
marijuana
, as evidenced (for example) in Tucson, Paris (Charlie Hebdo and Bataclan), Brussels, Tunisia, Ottawa, in the Lee Rigby murder and aboard the Thalys train, and certainly in Nice; and steroids, as used (for example) by Anders Breivik, by the British criminal Raoul Moat and most recently by the Orlando mass-murderer Omar Mateen. A post-mortem recently confirmed steroids, which his first wife said he took, were present in Mateen’s body at the time of the massacre. In Breivik’s case, the authorities remain totally uninterested in this aspect of the case, and we only know of his steroid use from his own revolting and moronic ‘testament’.
He's looking through lots of cases and picked out the ones where he could find some common ground. You'd probably be able to find lots of mass killers that drank alcohol or played violent video games too. If you look for patterns, you'll find them.
Original post by dingleberry jam
So says Peter Hitchens, I suspect this is driven more by his own brand of religious extremism but could there be something to it?

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2016/07/is-the-latest-mass-murder-really-incomprehensible-.html

All of the Hitchens brothers' intelligence got absorbed into Christopher, leaving poor Peter very little. This really is an incredible length to go to try and demonise drugs. I wish his brother was around to completely tear it to shreds.
Original post by oShahpo
Let me tell you something, if there is anything that might fix the war in Syria, it's some Marijuana and a record of Jimi Hendrix.

MDMA in the water mains would surely sort things out. Might harm a few, but would still be safer than bombing.
Original post by KingBradly
MDMA in the water mains would surely sort things out. Might harm a few, but would still be safer than bombing.

Certainly :biggrin:
All of the Hitchens brothers' intelligence got absorbed into Christopher, leaving poor Peter very little. This really is an incredible length to go to try and demonise drugs. I wish his brother was around to completely tear it to shreds.

Must be hard for him living in that shadow. Despite him wanting to see me hanged for my sins, I sometimes find myself feeling sorry for him. He's still rabbiting on about some conspiracy theory he's come up with to explain his poor book sales, he's clearly not a happy chappy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dingleberry jam
Must be hard for him living in that shadow. Despite him wanting to see me hanged for my sins, I sometimes find myself feeling sorry for him. He's still rabbiting on about some conspiracy theory he's come up with to explain his poor book sales, he's clearly not a happy chappy.

I actually don't think he's a bad person. I know people who have met him and have said he's very polite and generally nice. He just has some really stupid ideas.
I actually don't think he's a bad person. I know people who have met him and have said he's very polite and generally nice. He just has some really stupid ideas.

Quite, I've heard nothing but the same. I don't think his faith does him any favours in the silly idea department, not sure this one is stupid rather just arse about tit. It's no secret that unhappy people turn to drugs and religion as an escape, in some cases it only fuels more unhappiness, like drugs making it easier to forget about problems you really need to deal with or religion inducing guilt, shame and fear.

Recent attacks have been carried out by unhappy past drug users, but they didn't go on murderous rampages until they got sucked into religion. Maybe the drugs were the only thing keeping them sane and giving them up for religion tipped them over the edge. Maybe the soma Hitchens is so afraid of is actually the answer or at least an improvement, better to have them forget about their problems than be brainwashed and guilt tripped and have that unhappiness remoulded into anger and hatred.

"All the advantages of Christianity and alcohol; none of their defects."
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending