The Student Room Group

Why do people find it so hard to look at things objectively? (politics)

Scroll to see replies

Most likely because it's a discussion on a subject that affects people. People will find it hard to discuss something objectively when they themselves have been personally hit by a government policy.

That and partly ignorance. Politics as a whole is great at giving everyone an opportunity to spout any close mindedness easily and pass off generalisations as if they're correct.

That and as Whimsical Sloth said, people hate being proven wrong, and it's quite difficult to break down an argument tinged with emotion and subjectivity than an objective, factual one. Hence why so many do it.

It's definitely something people have to learn, to be purely objective.
Reply 21
Original post by richpanda
I agree that there is never really a right or wrong answer in politics. However I'm trying to say that people can't even look at an issue and understand the reasons why someone would vote in a different way to them.

Perspective thinking is one of the most hardest concepts to grasp, not just in politics but life generally.
This thread is a joke, you're criticising us for being arrogant, but you're assuming that we blindly follow celebrities and politicians for no reason.
Original post by george_c00per
Hmmmm although the remain campaigners said some nasty things to old people and leave voters, some members of the leave side committed arson attacks to immigrants and one even killed an MP...

They said nasty and extraordinarily prejudiced things about old people and working class people, and this was common among remainers. My FB was full of it, and there was plenty of it on this site too. The leave voters who did that stuff were a very tiny minority.
Reply 24
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
This thread is a joke, you're criticising us for being arrogant, but you're assuming that we blindly follow celebrities and politicians for no reason.

Who is 'us'? Unless you're a rich celebrity, I haven't called you arrogant.
Who is 'us'? Unless you're a rich celebrity, I haven't called you arrogant.

people, who in your eyes, don't look at things 'objectively'

implicitly from your post, people who you think voted remain solely because someone they admire supported remain
Original post by KingBradly
They said nasty and extraordinarily prejudiced things about old people and working class people, and this was common among remainers. My FB was full of it, and there was plenty of it on this site too.

If you swapped "old people and working class people" to "immigrants", and "remainers" to "brexiters" it would still be true statement. Many of my friends on facebook who planned on voting leave said awful things about immigrants and people who weren't born in the UK.

Let's just agree that both sides committed horrible acts of generalisation and bigotry, ok? We would be here listing different things each side did, if not.
Reply 27
people, who in your eyes, don't look at things 'objectively'

implicitly from your post, people who you think voted remain solely because someone they admire supported remain

Not the sole reason, but I think a lot of people would feel pressured in to voting remain by it. But perhaps not.

My greater worry is that 13/14 year olds take their political advice from celebrities.
Nah, the remain voters saying that leave voters where all bunch of uneducated morons and old people were definitely the rudest. Incredible amount of prejudice coming from people who mainly spend their lives fighting against that kind of thing.

How can you say that?
Original post by george_c00per
If you swapped "old people and working class people" to "immigrants", and "remainers" to "brexiters" it would still be true statement. Many of my friends on facebook who planned on voting leave said awful things about immigrants and people who weren't born in the UK.

Let's just agree that both sides committed horrible acts of generalisation and bigotry, ok? We would be here listing different things each side did, if not.

Yeh, we can agree on that. The thing is though, those people who were racist are generally unapologetic about it. That doesn't make it any more right, but this is a thread on people thinking objectively, and consistently. The left are generally supposed to be against agism and classism. The latter one, actually, is arguably the most definably left-wing position. So it really was a fairly incredible lack of consistency for them to do that.
Original post by Mvine001
How can you say that?

Why wouldn't I?
Why wouldn't I?

Because there is no right or wrong answer, that's why!
It seems that people have incredibly strong opinions, which they're entitled to (myself included). But it means debates take on the form of who can shout the loudest instead of presenting facts to reach a mutual conclusion. People feel threatened by opposing views!
Not the sole reason, but I think a lot of people would feel pressured in to voting remain by it. But perhaps not.

My greater worry is that 13/14 year olds take their political advice from celebrities.

It makes no sense to ignore the experts advice, they overwhelmingly told us of the consequences of Brexit - and so far they're even worse, given the current political situation.
It makes no sense to ignore the experts advice, they overwhelmingly told us of the consequences of Brexit - and so far they're even worse, given the current political situation.

"The experts" of what?
The Polish whining that Britain is racist are the funniest. :borat:
"The experts" of what?

Experts on economics, politics, international relations, etc...
Experts on economics, politics, international relations, etc...

There wasn't a consensus.
Nah, the remain voters saying that leave voters where all bunch of uneducated morons and old people were definitely the rudest. Incredible amount of prejudice coming from people who mainly spend their lives fighting against that kind of thing.

DISCLAMER: I am puropsly not stating my views on this topic, so dont assume i am for remain/leave

I mean sorry if someone said it in a rude way, but the people who said that stuff didnt just make it up(e.g. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/22/eu-referendum-which-type-of-person-wants-to-leave-and-who-will-b/ , http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36616028, https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/european-union-referendum-nine-out-of-ten-university-staff-back-remain). Statistics do show that generally young people and most educated people were for remain. However, that being said, that isnt how democracy works, everyone is equal. Thus, GB voted to leave, thats the peoples choice and we have to respect that. Democracy cant just be flipped on/off when we like it or when it fits us.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Apolexian
DISCLAMER: I am puropsly not stating my views on this topic, so dont assume i am for remain/leave

I mean sorry if someone said it in a rude way, but the people who said that stuff didnt just make it up(e.g. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/22/eu-referendum-which-type-of-person-wants-to-leave-and-who-will-b/ , http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36616028, https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/european-union-referendum-nine-out-of-ten-university-staff-back-remain). Statistics do show that generally young people and most educated people were for remain. However, that being said, that isnt how democracy works, everyone is equal. Thus, GB voted to leave, thats the peoples choice and we have to respect that. Democracy cant just be flipped on/off when we like it or when it fits us.

The problem wasn't that it was untrue, it was the unashamed vitriol for old people and the working class that we saw. I spoke to various working class people, and working class old people, and their views were perfectly reasonable. No mention of Farage's silly claim about us spending 350m (or whatever the figure was) on the EU.

Quick Reply