The Student Room Group

Square roots

How to prove that the square root of a non perfect square is irrational.
So I guess it's showing that n∉Q,(nN) \sqrt n \not\in \mathbb{Q}, (n\in \mathbb{N}) if nk2,kN n\neq k^2, k\in \mathbb{N} .
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ano9901whichone
How to prove that the square root of a non perfect square is irrational.
So I guess it's showing that n∉Q,(nN) \sqrt n \not\in \mathbb{Q}, (n\in \mathbb{N}) if nk2,kN n\neq k^2, k\in \mathbb{N} .

Meh, you can do better than that, you can prove that if a,bZ>0a,b \in \mathbb{Z}_{>0} then a1/ba^{1/b} is either an integer or irrational. I'll go ahead and prove that instead.

Proof 1: Let a1/b=pqa^{1/b} = \frac{p}{q} with (p,q)=1(p,q) = 1 and hence (pb,qb)=1(p^b, q^b) = 1 then a=pbqba = \frac{p^b}{q^b} is a contradiction.

Proof 2: Rational root theorem gives us that the rational roots of xbax^b - a must be of the form pq\frac{p}{q} with (p,q)=1(p, q) = 1 and q1q \mid 1. So the root must be either an integer or irrational.

Proof 3: I'll let you consider other methods.
Original post by Zacken
Meh, you can do better than that, you can prove that if a,bZ>0a,b \in \mathbb{Z}_{>0} then a1/ba^{1/b} is either an integer or irrational. I'll go ahead and prove that instead.

Proof 1: Let a1/b=pqa^{1/b} = \frac{p}{q} with (p,q)=1(p,q) = 1 and hence (pb,qb)=1(p^b, q^b) = 1 then a=pbqba = \frac{p^b}{q^b} is a contradiction.

Proof 2: Rational root theorem gives us that the rational roots of xbax^b - a must be of the form pq\frac{p}{q} with (p,q)=1(p, q) = 1 and q1q \mid 1. So the root must be either an integer or irrational.

Proof 3: I'll let you consider other methods.

How does your proof explain why cube root of 8 is rational? So when a=8 and b =3 ?
Reply 3
Original post by Ano9901whichone
How does your proof explain why cube root of 8 is rational? So when a=8 and b =3 ?

The proof merely says that 83\sqrt[3]{8} is either an integer or irrational, obviously, since 2 is an integer, we are done.

For some clarification, my proof(s) show that ab\sqrt[b]{a} is rational if and only if a=kba = k^b for some kZk \in \mathbb{Z}.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest