The Student Room Group

foundation degree or foundation year

I am taking a gap year now because my a level results were not very good.
I learned about HND course through a business teacher of mine who had done it.
I also learned about foundation year that allows you to gain entry to the degree.
If I did foundation degree and top up after, would it still count as bsc or be seen as inferior. I want to do business management and do a graduate programme.
so which do you think is better for me to do ? foundation year or foundation degree ??
Original post by Unsure Student09
I also learned about foundation year that allows you to gain entry to the degree.
If I did foundation degree and top up after, would it still count as bsc or be seen as inferior. I want to do business management and do a graduate programme.
so which do you think is better for me to do ? foundation year or foundation degree ??

It would still count as a Bsc, so i'd say do the foundation degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Unsure Student09

Original post by claireestelle
It would still count as a Bsc, so i'd say do the foundation degree.

Aren't there funding issues with a foundation degree plus top-up?

I'd have thought a foundation year leading to a full degree would be better fundingwise ?
Original post by jneill

I'd have thought a foundation year leading to a full degree would be better fundingwise ?

Nope, foundation degree is 2 years and then Elq rules allow you the 1 year to get the full Bsc :smile:
Reply 4
Nope, foundation degree is 2 years and then Elq rules allow you the 1 year to get the full Bsc :smile:

Ah, coolio. :smile:

And just so I'm not being stupid... that would also apply for an HND + top-up too?
Original post by jneill
Ah, coolio. :smile:

And just so I'm not being stupid... that would also apply for an HND + top-up too?

Yes :smile:
Reply 6
Yes :smile:

I'm on a roll now! :smile:
Original post by jneill

This is where we had our discussion before.
Whatever PQ says

My understanding was

Foundation degree= separate and is treated as such by SFE, It uses funding up and cna cause difficulties if it lasts longer than one year.
Advantage is it cna give you a flexible qualification that keeps your options open and you cna use it to gain entry to another Uni.

Foundation year means you are commited to that course. it affects SFE funding much less as its just considered part of the course (assuming its not separate) , so your bonus year is intact i.e a 4 year course instead of 3. Advantage is you get a more focused syllabus preparing yourself for that degree and you are guranteed access to the degree proper. i.e Law with foundation year. You alos get to experience an extra year of Uni.

It has less flexibility than the standalone degree, but if you knwo the course you wnat to do then ist better because you dont have to worry about securing a place, get to know the lecturers and causes fewer ossies on funding.

There have veen some threads on TSR where people have done a foundation degree, which as used up funding and then been asked to pay for the first year of their main degree vecause too much funding has been used.

Its important the OP understands the differences and advantages of each.

Do not rule out resitting your A levels.

Foundation degree 1 uears uni fees (thousands) plus accomm.

Resit for complete A levels £80 each. I would go for a fouindation year where it allowed me to access a course and also where I felt I couldnt study on my own for resits but would appreciate better teaching support.
ps isnt the top up degree a different thing? I thought foundation degrees were just general like access courses?
Thank you so much !!!I was just worried that doing foundation year might lead to me getting even more debts for the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending