The Student Room Group

Freaking out about re-sits

So I just got my results from my first year of uni and I've found out that I failed two of my exams!

I will have to re-sit these two exams and if I don't pass them this time I won't be able to continue university.

I'm terrified because I'm a mature student at 23 years old, I gave up a full-time job and went back to college just to get into uni. I've given up so much and I feel like I'm failing at the first hurdle.

One of the exams that I have to re-sit is in just 3 weeks and I'm still struggling with the material. I only got 4% in the original exam and I'm absolutely terrified at the thought of failing and having to leave uni.

I can't stop crying, I can't concentrate on anything. I don't know what I'll do with my life without this degree.
Original post by Hamo2509
So I just got my results from my first year of uni and I've found out that I failed two of my exams!

I will have to re-sit these two exams and if I don't pass them this time I won't be able to continue university.

I'm terrified because I'm a mature student at 23 years old, I gave up a full-time job and went back to college just to get into uni. I've given up so much and I feel like I'm failing at the first hurdle.

One of the exams that I have to re-sit is in just 3 weeks and I'm still struggling with the material. I only got 4% in the original exam and I'm absolutely terrified at the thought of failing and having to leave uni.

I can't stop crying, I can't concentrate on anything. I don't know what I'll do with my life without this degree.

Calm down, it's not the end of the world. Approach the lecturer and ask them for help, seriously. Just try and revise all you can in the three weeks you have
Reply 2
I am trying my best to revise and am reasonably confident about one of the exams that I failed (only by two marks).
But this exam is incredibly hard, it's really in-depth complicated maths and not the kind of thing that comes naturally to me.

I have contacted my lecturer and all the advice they have given me is to go through the practice questions on Moodle.
I am trying my best to revise and am reasonably confident about one of the exams that I failed (only by two marks).
But this exam is incredibly hard, it's really in-depth complicated maths and not the kind of thing that comes naturally to me.

I have contacted my lecturer and all the advice they have given me is to go through the practice questions on Moodle.

Approach them again explaining that you need more help and try and book an individual slot with them. In the meantime try and book a maths tutor or something that might be able to help you
Mate I'm going to say this as an honest and sincere person. University is a business, most people go there to satisfy their ego and feel like their **** doesn't stink. If you do fail again it's not the end of the world. To be honest with you most of those degrees are utterly worthless anyway. You can always go back to work, so not the end of the world.
Reply 5
Original post by DauntlessOne
Mate I'm going to say this as an honest and sincere person. University is a business, most people go there to satisfy their ego and feel like their **** doesn't stink. If you do fail again it's not the end of the world. To be honest with you most of those degrees are utterly worthless anyway. You can always go back to work, so not the end of the world.

I have to disagree. Looking at my job prospects from before I went to college and what my job prospects will be after graduating, they are worlds apart.
Reply 6
I have to disagree. Looking at my job prospects from before I went to college and what my job prospects will be after graduating, they are worlds apart.

Have you thought about getting private tuition to help you with your hard exam?
Reply 7
Ok so after my late-night freak out last night I've found a student on my course in 3rd year who is willing to tutor me through the material. Thanks everyone for your advice :smile:

The first thing you should do is speak to the module leader. 4% for an exam means there's something you're not understanding that a lecturer can help you out with.
Reply 9
Original post by Scaryfeet
The first thing you should do is speak to the module leader. 4% for an exam means there's something you're not understanding that a lecturer can help you out with.

My lecture has said she can't help beyond what is already posted on Moodle.

Hmm that seems really odd that they won't help you. What about careers and study advisors at your uni? They can usually offer some guidance at least.

Edit: Just saw your post about a 3rd year tutor, good luck!

That's really weird, can't you even get your exam paper back to see where you went wrong? Regardless, you have 3 weeks now and you have to make the choice between letting failure define you or using to give you a kick up the bum. Study your backside off for the next 3 weeks and then spend the rest of the summer figuring out a study routine that will prevent this from happening again. Good luck!
Original post by GoingToBurst
That's really weird, can't you even get your exam paper back to see where you went wrong? Regardless, you have 3 weeks now and you have to make the choice between letting failure define you or using to give you a kick up the bum. Study your backside off for the next 3 weeks and then spend the rest of the summer figuring out a study routine that will prevent this from happening again. Good luck!

Original post by Scaryfeet
Hmm that seems really odd that they won't help you. What about careers and study advisors at your uni? They can usually offer some guidance at least.

Edit: Just saw your post about a 3rd year tutor, good luck!

it's not that weird. So many universities aren't allowed to help their students beyond what they put on their uni's login portal.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
it's not that weird. So many universities aren't allowed to help their students beyond what they put on their uni's login portal.

Really? That seems counter-productive to the whole point of university. You are there to learn and broaden your understanding of your course, not to be left totally clueless because the department staff won't give you any help.
Reply 14
Original post by GoingToBurst
Really? That seems counter-productive to the whole point of university. You are there to learn and broaden your understanding of your course, not to be left totally clueless because the department staff won't give you any help.

My mum is a lecturer at a different uni and she said she's been privately tutoring her students all week for re-sits.
I think it's a case of the lecturer. Some see it as their job to be helpful and encouraging and some think their responsibilities begin and end in a lecture theatre once a week.
Wait, you got 4% out of 100?
Reply 16
Original post by Clee Torres
Wait, you got 4% out of 100?

'Per cent' means out of a hundred, clever clogs
'Per cent' means out of a hundred, clever clogs

At least you're not as bad at maths as Clee Torres :grin:

Quick Reply

Latest