The Student Room Group

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
Jo Johnson has published the ministrerial statement about this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36856026
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2016-07-21/HCWS117/

The increase will apply to all students in 2017/18 (including continuing students)

Oh dear.

Although the continuing students bit seems unclear and depends on the university?
Original post by PQ
Part time second degree funding for STEM subjects extended to cover subjects allied to medicine; biological sciences; veterinary sciences, agriculture and related subjects; physical sciences and mathematical sciences. (but still no mention of the promise to extend this to full time support)

Has this definitely been confirmed? I hope so! I was worried that May might drop this commitment. :awesome:
Original post by jneill
Oh dear.

Although the continuing students bit seems unclear and depends on the university?

It's likely students could appeal against it based on CMA rules (ie if they can prove it wasn't made clear that the cap could increase with inflation).

It was standard practice pre 2012 for all fees to go up with inflation each year - unless universities put something on their websites/publicity stating that fees would remain constant throughout the course (along the lines of this targeted at international students: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-life/fees-funding/international-fees-funding.page#fees ) it's unlikely that any argument along those lines will get anywhere.

The logistics of charging different fees depending on the year of entry is a radical change to university finance/planning/budgeting that could cause all sorts of problems. My hunch is that those universities who are worried about their publicity materials will keep ALL fees at £9k for 2017 while they work out how to manage differential fees and put all the publicity material in line with the reality.
Original post by Snufkin
Has this definitely been confirmed? I hope so! I was worried that May might drop this commitment. :awesome:

It's in this: http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2016-07-21/HCWS117/ towards the end.

Excellent news. I hope this is the first step towards abolishing the ELQ rule altogether. :biggrin:
How about reducing the tuition fees at poor performing universities?...:rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kekio_
How about reducing the tuition fees a poor performing universities?...:rolleyes:

Poor performing universities should be shut down.
I personally think an ofsted style ratings should apply to unis
Original post by jneill

One thing to remember it doesn't apply if you are already at university. It's just for those starting their courses in 2017/18.

The BBC is now reporting that it will affect students who are already studying. They'll have their fees increased.
:sigh:. Oh boy.
Original post by She-Ra
The BBC is now reporting that it will affect students who are already studying. They'll have their fees increased.

The right thing to do. Let the whining from entitled current students commence.
Original post by PQ
Part time second degree funding for STEM subjects extended to cover subjects allied to medicine; biological sciences; veterinary sciences, agriculture and related subjects; physical sciences and mathematical sciences. (but still no mention of the promise to extend this to full time support)

Nursing and Health Professional funding moved to loan system - with funding for second degrees confirmed.

Funding for PGDips in Nursing/Health professions starting after 1st August 2017 is still unconfirmed

:excited:

Is this actually a thing happening? Awesome! Can you study for a second STEM degree if you already have one?
And the universities WILL get that money because students are so spineless and will gladly accept
If it's already 9k I can't see what's wrong with increasing it a bit more, given student loans will still cover it like for the sake of another grand ...
So where do you draw the line? What about Nursing etc? I'm studying Speech and Language therapy - that's 4 years and at the end of it I get a BMedSci - It's still vocational - in fact, any vocational subject taken at a university will leave you with a degree. Including photography and the like. Your argument isn't making any sense.
Original post by Snufkin
Nope.

If you already have a degree and you want to study a STEM subject part time can you still get maintenance loan and stuff?
Anyone can do a second part-time STEM degree and get a tuition fee loan to pay for it; it doesn't matter if you've already done a STEM degree. But you won't be able to get a maintenance loan.
Original post by RowanB
So where do you draw the line? What about Nursing etc? I'm studying Speech and Language therapy - that's 4 years and at the end of it I get a BMedSci - It's still vocational - in fact, any vocational subject taken at a university will leave you with a degree. Including photography and the like. Your argument isn't making any sense.

I'm not starting this argument again thus derailing the thread further than it already is, to show why I believe that Medicine is more of an academic subject that an a vocational one I will leave this quote from the University of Cambridge's website here:

''Selection requirementsYou must be a keen scientist, with a sound scientific understanding. As selection for medical school implies selection for the medical profession, admissions decisions are informed by national guidance on what makes a good doctor, for example, the Medical Schools Council's Consensus Statement on the Role of the Doctor and Guiding Principles for the Admission of Medical Students.''

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending