The Student Room Group

My take on ISIS and why we should STOP PRETENDING

More people die in Africa due to famine and hunger each day but we don't give af about them but as soon as there's a terrorist related attack, killing a dozen people or so, we pretend like we really care.

What is wrong with all you stupid people? Why don't you donate to try and help famine in third world countries and try and help things that really matter rather than posting sh*t about ISIS, of which little can be done about them

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I feel myself
More people die in Africa due to famine and hunger each day but we don't give af about them but as soon as there's a terrorist related attack, killing a dozen people or so, we pretend like we really care.

What is wrong with all you stupid people? Why don't you donate to try and help famine in third world countries and try and help things that really matter rather than posting sh*t about ISIS, of which little can be done about them

I used to donate to World Vision to the tune of £25 a month sponsoring a child in Sierre Leone. Whether or not someone donates to Africa is irrelevant to their opinion on ISIS or to the very existence of ISIS, even
Original post by I feel myself

You are aware that the reason people die makes a difference, right? People dying of starvation means nothing in the long term. However, people dying in terrorist attacks means that there are militant groups who are actively assaulting the government. Thus, it is more important to deal with the imminent threat to the government, as if they win that could **** **** up even more.
People love to rant about islamic terrorism because it feels good to blame your problems on foreign entities, despite the fact that about 6 times out of 10 it is a domestic Muslim who commits these atrocities lmfao
Original post by S.c.d
Have you been to africa, india or the muddle east?

It would be lovely if we could throw money at a problem but its more complicated than that.

Yes I have been to Africa.
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
People love to rant about islamic terrorism because it feels good to blame your problems on foreign entities, despite the fact that about 6 times out of 10 it is a domestic Muslim who commits these atrocities lmfao

Except, most people aren't blaming migrants, they're blaming Islam.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Except, most people aren't blaming migrants, they're blaming Islam.

we're past the stage where islam is to blame, its quite obviously a contributing factor but by no means is it the main thing which motivates these attacks in the first place, attacking islam is pointless
we're past the stage where islam is to blame, its quite obviously a contributing factor but by no means is it the main thing which motivates these attacks in the first place, attacking islam is pointless

Then, what do you think is the primary motivating factor then?
Reply 8
Both are a problem, but it's sad to see one getting more coverage than the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then, what do you think is the primary motivating factor then?

it varies from person to person, but it almost always derives from these peoples' lives being turned upside down and them resorting to extreme Islam to consolidate their hatred and to concentrate it towards a group of people

by lives turning upside down, I mean family disputes, family/friend deaths, being put in prison, experiencing oppression and brutality from regimes, having your country become war-torn, etc...

Study any of these individual islamist attackers closely, and you'll always see that they are normal people who don't particularly follow Islam who undergo life-changing things which draw them to radicalisation
Original post by HAnwar
Both are a problem, but it's sad to see one getting more coverage than the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

More so it's sad to see the less serious problem attracting more coverage. And if we are to get even serious, terrorists attack are more prominent in some places in Africa, but alas, we don't give af
it varies from person to person, but it almost always derives from these peoples' lives being turned upside down and them resorting to extreme Islam to consolidate their hatred and to concentrate it towards a group of people

by lives turning upside down, I mean family disputes, family/friend deaths, being put in prison, experiencing oppression and brutality from regimes, having your country become war-torn, etc...

Study any of these individual islamist attackers closely, and you'll always see that they are normal people who don't particularly follow Islam who undergo life-changing things which draw them to radicalisation

So, then, they're still committing these acts in the name of Islam?
So, then, they're still committing these acts in the name of Islam?

Perhaps, but if I kill someone and yell out "I did this for robert downey junior" it does not incriminate robert downey junior
Perhaps, but if I kill someone and yell out "I did this for robert downey junior" it does not incriminate robert downey junior

No, because Robert Downey Junior isn't an idea.
Reply 14
Most people in developed/first-world countries care primarily about other developed/first-world countries and see the endless death from things like starvation in the third-world as just something which happens, as just the natural way of things. They might still care about it and donate money in an attempt to alleviate it, but they will always be much more shocked and personally affected by events such as terrorist attacks in the West. The thinking is most likely "something horrible happened/loads of people died in a country just like this one, that's like it happening here/it could happen here!". We find it easier to relate. It's also worth noting that people in developed countries are much less responsive when there are terrorist attacks in Western Asia, for instance, even if they cause far more death than attacks in Europe.
I think that some people are genuinely worried about ISIS because they have been scared that it will affect them, since they have expanded their terror attacks to Europe and some of the refugees have been fleeing to Europe. When they were just murdering and enslaving Brown people in Iraq and Syria, few cared. I bet that hardly any of them know what the longest and bloodiest civil war (which is still happening now) is.
Original post by WBZ144
I think that some people are genuinely worried about ISIS because they have been scared that it will affect them, since they have expanded their terror attacks to Europe and some of the refugees have been fleeing to Europe. When they were just murdering and enslaving Brown people in Iraq and Syria, few cared. I bet that hardly any of them know what the longest and bloodiest civil war (which is still happening now) is.

That's because it is business as usual there, we have been hearing about crazy **** going on in the middle east for decades.
Direct threats to a nation means that its government has a duty to exercise protection whether that's in the form of military attacks or increased security personal on duty.

Whereas for unfortunate hunger in areas such as Africa, due to the nature of resources being finite and money being limited, the government has to prioritise its people vs other causes, most of the time, there is something in the country which needs funding thus money is diverted to this area.

Personally I do believe more should be done to help world hunger and those suffering from poor healthcare which is why I aspire to become a surgeon for Doctors Without Limits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, because Robert Downey Junior isn't an idea.

that is irrelevant, if you change the sentence to "I killed this man for liberty", liberalism and liberals aren't suddenly accountable

these people are going to extraordinary lengths to justify murder, but they are ultimately making a conscious choice, Islam isn't forcing them to kill them, regardless of how brutal it may be
that is irrelevant, if you change the sentence to "I killed this man for liberty", liberalism and liberals aren't suddenly accountable

these people are going to extraordinary lengths to justify murder, but they are ultimately making a conscious choice, Islam isn't forcing them to kill them, regardless of how brutal it may be

However, Islam has these books and they justify violence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending