The Student Room Group

REALISTICALLY Can Anyone Stop ISIS?

Poll

Can Anyone Stop ISIS

Just curious to see what people think because right now I don't think anyone can. But I'm open to other ideas. I'll do a poll to spice up the thread as well so just vote if you don't feel like replying.

Scroll to see replies

Linda can.

Reply 2
Original post by george_c00per
Linda can.

I really hope she does :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Jawsomesauce35
Just curious to see what people think because right now I don't think anyone can. But I'm open to other ideas. I'll do a poll to spice up the thread as well so just vote if you don't feel like replying.

It's more a case of whether they will, not if they can. Though western countries can't really do anything because of their high immigrant/muslim populations. Best to let China do it.... Not that they would or even care.
I really hope she does :biggrin::biggrin:

All we can do is hope for the best :sadnod::sadnod:
Reply 5
Original post by IronicalMan
It's more a case of whether they will, not if they can. Though western countries can't really do anything because of their high immigrant/muslim populations. Best to let China do it.... Not that they would or even care.

Good point but for some reason it seems as if anyone can work for ISIS but no one can track them??
Good point but for some reason it seems as if anyone can work for ISIS but no one can track them??

Bit hard to track them if they're born in the UK, but if no crime is committed you can't do anything anyway.
Its almost impossible to stop terror attacks right now, all you need is an axe or a truck apparently

ISIS can be wiped out, but however small or weak they get, they will always influence foreign nationals to commit atrocities in their name

stop IS doing what? they are getting hammered in both iraq and syria by the kurds / yaezidis and assad have lost various major towns and cities as well as some of their best generals. if you mean terrorist attacks, then it was obvious that as they are losing territory , they would try and up attacks in the west, however many attacks have little to do with IS specifically, but they simply inspire a very general islamist agenda.
well the first way would be to stop the US helping them out
giving them guns (basically) and money or valuable liquid assets
Hopefully.
No This is a 1600 year old issue so all we can do is contain them.People have forgotten the history of Islamic inspired warfare which we ended when we finally defeated of the ottoman empire. All we are seeing now is a rebuilding of old armies and the continuation of Islamic Jihad.
Reply 12
Yes, the full force of the US Military can
They can, but they lack the will. It's more an issue of Western countries being unwilling to stop them for ethical reasons than being unable.

I mean, we could go in and kill every person living in these countries indiscriminately with bombs if we were determined, and that would kill ISIS. But that would be ethically and morally unacceptable to most people. And they've nestled themselves amongst non-combatants so completely and thoroughly in a spread out fashion that the only way to be sure of getting them all is to destroy an entire population of people. So it's possible but unrealistic.

Another possibility would be committing ground troops, but that's also unrealistic unless there are several more 9/11 style terrorist attacks that kill thousands at once. Democratic countries are very reluctant to commit ground troops.

It would probably be more desirable to simply contain ISIS and keep their operatives out of Western countries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamesthehustler
well the first way would be to stop the US helping them out
giving them guns (basically) and money or valuable liquid assets

Sure the US is helping them out... By dropping 2000 pound guided bombs on them.
This is what Theresa May said about the Nice attack:
If, as we fear, this was a terrorist attack then we must redouble our efforts to defeat these brutal murderers who want to destroy our way of life,

What she doesn't know is that top ISIS officials are saying similar words about Western countries - ISIS thinks the Western countries are the "terrorists".
Reply 16
Original post by shawn_o1
This is what Theresa May said about the Nice attack:

What she doesn't know is that top ISIS officials are saying similar words about Western countries - ISIS thinks the Western countries are the "terrorists".

I don't think we need to take views on morality or terrorism from a group that burns people alive and throws gays off buildings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In many ways ISIS have already been stopped - their forces are in full retreat across Iraq & Syria.
It's not like 2014 where the Iraqi army was abandoning it's position leaving both ground & equipment which ISIS then occupied. You can't deny that Western airpower combined with special forces & local organisations has forced ISIS into a retreat. They're still fighting with guerilla tactics but certainly the biggest threat to the West is homegrown extremism & perhaps ISIS sleeper cells who have infiltrated Europe among refugees.

Unfortunately there isn't really a right answer to the latter issue - ISIS want a total us against them scenario (IE the West against a united Islamic State following their laws); their terror attacks in the West alienate moderate Muslims but also turn the general population against Islam as a whole due to paranoia driving them into extremist hands.
God?

Depends what you mean by stop?

1. Can you stop it as a state and conventional military force? Yes. They are already losing and it would just take anoher invasion. They cost money and lives, which nobody can be bothered to commit. Think Glf War. If push came to shove, then the international comminity could squash ISIS, its just politically sensitive.

2. Can you stop them as terrorists. = much more difficult. You can cut off dfunds and make it more difficult, but as the attacks in france shows, it only takes a few.

3. Can you stop it as an idea of radicalises Islam? No, but its a hearts and mind argument where you can stop people becoming disaffected or identifying so strongly with that message. there will always be disgruntled people looking for people to blame. You cna minimise this but hard to defeat until people get bored and find another cause.

Doesnt mean we give in, but we do make efforts to minimise any impact.

Quick Reply

Latest