The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sticky keys.
You aren't forced to watch it. It's called the Off button.
Their kids need to be taken away immediately if they refuse to change. Not accepting modern medicine is dangerous, not just for them but it enables disease to spread amongst the wider society. They are going to be completely uneducated and unable to get a job, not even being able to recognise the alphabet or numbers at the age of 5 is outrageous and I feel so sorry for the kid. They are going to have little to no social skills or awareness of what the real world is like so they will struggle later in life too. The authorities need to intervene soon whilst this nonsense is still reversible, lest the children get indoctrinated and damaged even further.
Because they don't want to conform doesn't mean they are doing anything illegal, and just because it doesn't fit in with your notion of parenting doesn't mean they are bad parents. I met many parents like these when I was home educating my grandson, and although their parenting style doesn't appeal to me, it is their right to raise their children in their own way.
I might also add that many 5--year olds enter the school system without the basics such as recognising numbers/letters, not able to dress themselves or even toilet trained.
Reply 23
Original post by Seamus123
Home schooling or home education as it is called in the UK is a perfectly legal option and the number of parents/carers doing so is on the increase. I am legal guardian to one of my grandchildren. He never went to school. I home educated him and he is now 17 and at college.

Oh sorry, I wasn't arguing against homeschooling in general, just in this instance. I apologise if it came off that way.
Original post by Little Popcorns
omg that 5 year old looking at the camera whilst sucking his mums boob like yeah **** you what're you gonna do ***** I'm sucking a boob

roflmao :lol:
Original post by RF_PineMarten
They also say they would also take the "natural" path with cancer, which is even more sickening.

It's child abuse, plain and simple. Reminds me of Jehovah's Witness parents who refuse to allow their children to have blood transfusions even when it is necessary to save their life
Original post by JRKinder
Their kids need to be taken away immediately if they refuse to change. Not accepting modern medicine is dangerous, not just for them but it enables disease to spread amongst the wider society. They are going to be completely uneducated and unable to get a job, not even being able to recognise the alphabet or numbers at the age of 5 is outrageous and I feel so sorry for the kid. They are going to have little to no social skills or awareness of what the real world is like so they will struggle later in life too. The authorities need to intervene soon whilst this nonsense is still reversible, lest the children get indoctrinated and damaged even further.

Excellent comment, beautifully articulated. Gemmed.

The state should, and does, give parents a farly wide berth in terms of educating and disciplining (even physically) their children. But the line must be drawn at placing new age hippie **** over vital and necessary modern science like vaccines, antibiotics and even cancer drugs. In fact, the first time I read it I read past the bit saying that Ulysses could only just recognise basic letters and numbers. That is an absolute disgrace, to deny a child access to the universe of the written word, to give them that link which allows them to transcend their physical environment and open their mind to the world... to fail to make that your urgent priority as a parent seems negligent at best and abusive at worst.

I would be surprised if there wasn't some kind of child sexual abuse going on; not necessarily even the parents actively abusing but I would not at all be surprised if they were all sleeping naked in the same bed even when the parents are having sex. Probably introducing and encouraging their children regards sexual themes and ideas. Their children are clearly not socialied and will/are suffering developmental pathologies. I myself set a high bar for state intervention in the parent child relationship, but in this situation the bar has been surmounted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Seamus123
Because they don't want to conform doesn't mean they are doing anything illegal, and just because it doesn't fit in with your notion of parenting doesn't mean they are bad parents. I met many parents like these when I was home educating my grandson, and although their parenting style doesn't appeal to me, it is their right to raise their children in their own way.
I might also add that many 5--year olds enter the school system without the basics such as recognising numbers/letters, not able to dress themselves or even toilet trained.

A child who is not toilet trained at 5 has been abused by neglect if they don't have some kind of developmental, neurological or physiological reason that holds them back
Some of this is tantamount to child abuse. Children aren't property. If one of them is sick and needs medical attention, and if there is free healthcare available to them, no-one should deny them their rights.

And children need structure. They need rules. Those neglectful, incompetent parents will screw them up for life (if they don't die first).
Original post by Dandaman1
Some of this is tantamount to child abuse. Children aren't property. If one of them is sick and needs medical attention, and if there is free healthcare available to them, no-one should deny them their rights.

And children need structure. They need rules. Those neglectful, incompetent parents will screw them up for life (if they don't die first).

So true. These parents are setting these children up for failure in life; once they leave home they will be completely unable to be self-motivating, to be disciplined. They will be unable to function in an educational or work environment.

And on the medical issue, it is child abuse if they deny their child necessary medicines and treatments that cold lead to their becoming ill based on some new age hippie crap
Original post by AlexanderHam
Excellent comment, beautifully articulated. Gemmed.

The state should, and does, give parents a farly wide berth in terms of educating and disciplining (even physically) their children. But the line must be drawn at placing new age hippie **** over vital and necessary modern science like vaccines, antibiotics and even cancer drugs. In fact, the first time I read it I read past the bit saying that Ulysses could only just recognise basic letters and numbers. That is an absolute disgrace, to deny a child access to the universe of the written word, to give them that link which allows them to transcend their physical environment and open their mind to the world... to fail to make that your urgent priority as a parent seems negligent at best and abusive at worst.

I would be surprised if there wasn't some kind of child sexual abuse going on; not necessarily even the parents actively abusing but I would not at all be surprised if they were all sleeping naked in the same bed even when the parents are having sex. Probably introducing and encouraging their children regards sexual themes and ideas. Their children are clearly not socialied and will/are suffering developmental pathologies. I myself set a high bar for state intervention in the parent child relationship, but in this situation the bar has been surmounted.
Wourld rep yours too if I could lol

But yeah I completely agree, all of them sleeping in the same room (at that age) also creeped me out a bit too because of the potential connotations of it. And it completely outrages me when I here people say "I don't believe in modern medicine"; quite frankly it doesn't matter what you 'believe', modern medicine has more than enough proof to show its effectiveness (the most obvious of which is the correlation of life expectancy with medical development, along with improved diet ofc) so to deny the children that right is 100% abusive in my view.
Original post by sharkbate633
That is such a funny comic strip

it never fails to amuse :h:*
Original post by AlexanderHam
Not all hippie parents, just these two

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3699191/Outrage-parents-allow-child-toilet-Morning-floor.html

They refuse to allow their children, a son age 5 and daughter age 1, to go to school or see doctors. Naturally they refuse to vaccinate, and believe in healing them with "herbs".

The daughter pissed on the floor of the TV studio and the parents didn't bat an eyelid. The mother still breastfeeds her 5 year old son. Reminds me of Robin Arryn in Game of Thrones.

They had a lot of this kind of stuff in the 1970s, and very often the children in these hippie new age communes were sexually abused. The parents should be compelled to wake up and stop being crackpots, or the children should be removed

Why are they being called hippie parents?

That's just good old fashioned negligence.
They don't believe in Sunscreen, and the oldest boy at age 5 can't read or write.

People, children aren't your social experiments ffs.
Yep they're disgraceful.
Reply 37
Eh most parents shouldn't have kids but it all works out in the end somehow
These parents are selfish, what will they do when their children are grown and they are no longer there to take care of them? Their children will stuggle to integrate into society. Not to mention the rejection of modern medicine! I'd hate to imagine what would happen if one of their children got seriously ill :frown:. Home schooling can be beneficial for some, but imo children should attend school as this is where we learn skills that we use for the rest of our lives, for example discipline and team work.
Original post by neal95
People like this anger me. If represents everything that's wrong with society. The erosion of values

What?

Latest

Trending

Trending