The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by someone24
Does anyone else find the results system really messed up? Like we're the last people to find out, they've finished marking it now they're essentially just hanging our results over our head being like 'yeah we know you're results, you're uni will find out you're results, and you just have to wait and wait until you're heart literally beats through you're chest'. I understand that they don't want there to be any mistakes but the likes of China and HK have gotten their results already, and instead of letting us find out gradually they literally just freeze the website so the uni could have made the decision on monday, and once again we won't be able to find out until Thursday,

Yeah, I think that the whole process is unnecessarily dragged out. IB students also took their exams in the summer, but their results came out in early July. I'm sure they could streamline the process a bit, and even having results just one week earlier would be great. The two month delay between the last exams and results day - closer to three months for the gap between the first exams and results - is quite ridiculous considering how the marking is electronic, everything is scanned in etc.
Reply 1041
Does anyone else find the results system really messed up? Like we're the last people to find out, they've finished marking it now they're essentially just hanging our results over our head being like 'yeah we know you're results, you're uni will find out you're results, and you just have to wait and wait until you're heart literally beats through you're chest'. I understand that they don't want there to be any mistakes but the likes of China and HK have gotten their results already, and instead of letting us find out gradually they literally just freeze the website so the uni could have made the decision on monday, and once again we won't be able to find out until Thursday,

I believe the grade boundries have not been set yet though. So our grades aren't known.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Yeah, I think that the whole process is unnecessarily dragged out. IB students also took their exams in the summer, but their results came out in early July. I'm sure they could streamline the process a bit, and even having results just one week earlier would be great. The two month delay between the last exams and results day - closer to three months for the gap between the first exams and results - is quite ridiculous considering how the marking is electronic, everything is scanned in etc.

TBF IB students do all of their first week of May I believe (which is something like 6+ exams in 5 days) so it makes sense that their exams would be marked first. Plus there are fewer of them.
Also it's not quite 3 months :tongue: because the last exam was on the 30th of June so it's actually exactly 7 weeks. In which time they are marking the exams of most people in England, Northern Ireland and Wales for both GCSE and A-level. So it's actually sorta reasonable when you think about it like that.
Original post by Aph
TBF IB students do all of their first week of May I believe (which is something like 6+ exams in 5 days) so it makes sense that their exams would be marked first. Plus there are fewer of them.
Also it's not quite 3 months :tongue: because the last exam was on the 30th of June so it's actually exactly 7 weeks. In which time they are marking the exams of most people in England, Northern Ireland and Wales for both GCSE and A-level. So it's actually sorta reasonable when you think about it like that.

Ah ok, fair enough. The wait still feels absolutely endless though!
Original post by Sugar_1998
26 days

yh agree with you lol

it is a bit of a odd system and personally I think there should be a way for your Alevel grades to appear on UCAS track because my school for instance won't let you get the results before 9:30 but others let them go in at 7am so if they put your grades online then everyone would be able to access them and if you're like away or something or even abroad then you could access them...
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Ah ok, fair enough. The wait still feels absolutely endless though!

it's so long that you keep forgetting that results day is just around the corner but its still over 3 weeks away now and that still seems so long arghhhhhh
How have edexcel mark schemes been posted but AQA ones we have to wait until the 17th?! Surely someone can get hold of them earlier?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bubbles26
How have edexcel mark schemes been posted but AQA ones we have to wait until the 17th?! Surely someone can get hold of them earlier?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know man ; I really want to see the AQA psychology mark scheme and preferably the examiner report lol
Oh Christ, on my WJEC CH4 Paper, I had written an answer on the top of the page since I didn't have any more room underneath the question. I obviously made sure to let whoever is marking it, know that the rest of the answer was on the top of the page. I'm just worried that they won't accept that answer now. Is that possible?
Original post by PotatoChip
Oh Christ, on my WJEC CH4 Paper, I had written an answer on the top of the page since I didn't have any more room underneath the question. I obviously made sure to let whoever is marking it, know that the rest of the answer was on the top of the page. I'm just worried that they won't accept that answer now. Is that possible?

as long as you made it clear which question you are answering then it should get marked. papers are typically marked electronically however if it is evident you've answered something outside the typical answer space then the examiner can request your original script so your work can be marked. Don't panic too much dude
Original post by fefssdf
as long as you made it clear which question you are answering then it should get marked. papers are typically marked electronically however if it is evident you've answered something outside the typical answer space then the examiner can request your original script so your work can be marked. Don't panic too much dude

Ahah thank you :colondollar: When someone mentioned that papers were scanned electronically, I only remembered that I had done that.
Original post by PotatoChip
Ahah thank you :colondollar: When someone mentioned that papers were scanned electronically, I only remembered that I had done that.

yh but they can easily access your actual script so the examiner will just click a button like send to review then a senior examiner person will get it and mark it lol

this is a really interesting video about exam marking which i suggest you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DZ7ys3BueU
Original post by fefssdf
it is a bit of a odd system and personally I think there should be a way for your Alevel grades to appear on UCAS track because my school for instance won't let you get the results before 9:30 but others let them go in at 7am so if they put your grades online then everyone would be able to access them and if you're like away or something or even abroad then you could access them...

The argument against this comes from schools - most schools/colleges want their students to come in to collect results so that there is support/help on hand if things aren't right (and given the significant minority of results where there's a mismatch at the UCAS end or the exams officer sent the exam board the wrong information or similar it does seem like a sensible thing).

In Scotland everyone gets their results online/by email/by text IIRR - there's been a lot of issues around it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14389718

It's possible to get your A level results early - use the CIE (international) exam board - they get their results on the Friday before other A level students....but then have to wait in limbo until the Thursday after to find out if they got their place if they missed their offers.
Original post by somevirtualguy
Seriously dreading results day, firm is A*AA and insurance is AAA, but I'm sure I'm borderline in Physics between A/B. Terrified is an understatement :frown:

Wow, I literally relate to this so much. Good luck to us both.
Original post by PQ
The argument against this comes from schools - most schools/colleges want their students to come in to collect results so that there is support/help on hand if things aren't right (and given the significant minority of results where there's a mismatch at the UCAS end or the exams officer sent the exam board the wrong information or similar it does seem like a sensible thing).

In Scotland everyone gets their results online/by email/by text IIRR - there's been a lot of issues around it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14389718

It's possible to get your A level results early - use the CIE (international) exam board - they get their results on the Friday before other A level students....but then have to wait in limbo until the Thursday after to find out if they got their place if they missed their offers.

well I don't see why schools can't just be open on results day for students to drop in for advice like idk maybe have the UCAS people there for people to come and chat to cause on the most part most people don't need advice as they will just use clearing themselves or take a gap year ect
Original post by tanyapotter
Wow, I literally relate to this so much. Good luck to us both.

my firm wants AAA and my insurance wants AAA/A*AB lol I'm terrified
Reply 1056
Original post by fefssdf
well I don't see why schools can't just be open on results day for students to drop in for advice like idk maybe have the UCAS people there for people to come and chat to cause on the most part most people don't need advice as they will just use clearing themselves or take a gap year ect
its also a nice time to say good bye to your teachers... And it allows teachers to prepare students who didn't do so well.
Original post by Aph
its also a nice time to say good bye to your teachers... And it allows teachers to prepare students who didn't do so well.

well I think the schools could still be open for students to come and drop in if they need advice ect and most schools have prom ect to say goodbye to teachers
Reply 1058
Original post by fefssdf
well I think the schools could still be open for students to come and drop in if they need advice ect and most schools have prom ect to say goodbye to teachers

But how many people will go in if they don't have to though? Most people won't have the soundness of mind to do that.
Original post by fefssdf
I need AAA/A*AB for both my firm and insurance so lol I'm screwed and yeh I don't know how I'm going to look - I guess I'm just gonna have to login to ucas and face up to my fate . Absolutely petrifying

Good luck. What universities are they? A*AB seems like a weird offer tbh.

been really busy the past few days so never saw this till today :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest