The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Is Southampton Solent as bad as they say?

I put Southampton Solent as my insurance option. My firm is Birmingham City but i'm afraid my grades won't be good enough for BCU. When i put Southampton Solent as my insurance i didn't know about its bad reputation. The course i'll be doing is Psychology(Criminal Behaviour). I'm planning on doing a masters degree in Forensic Psychology at the University of Manchester.
As quoted by @Ananaz and @ninuzu who go to Southampton university, Soton Solent is right next to their uni but you can tell who goes to Southampton Solent and who goes to Southampton.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
As quoted by @Ananaz and @ninuzu who go to Southampton university, Soton Solent is right next to their uni but you can tell who goes to Southampton Solent and who goes to Southampton.

This is ridiculous, and sounds like the pretentious ******** i've found from fellow Uni of Southampton students.

I've got to know many Solent students through my work and they are all intelligent and hard working.

Don't worry about reputation, it all comes down to your own perseverance, i'm sure you'll enjoy it in southampton if u come down here.
I heard it was terrible. As in the lectures are really bad and many people who graduate from there do not get good graduate jobs.
Reply 4
Original post by loveleest
I heard it was terrible. As in the lectures are really bad and many people who graduate from there do not get good graduate jobs.

Again, pointless conjecture, I've met many students from solent who have fantastic, well paying jobs in a field they love.*

After all these years, TSR still full of ignorance and snobbery. shame. *
Original post by PJ
Again, pointless conjecture, I've met many students from solent who have fantastic, well paying jobs in a field they love.*

After all these years, TSR still full of ignorance and snobbery. shame. *

I said I HEARD. I never said it was. I said I heard.
LEARN.TO.READ.
Reply 6
I said I HEARD. I never said it was. I said I heard.
LEARN.TO.READ.

Awww, you sound stressed. I heard mindfulness is good for that.
Original post by PJ
Awww, you sound stressed. I heard mindfulness is good for that.

Aww you sound like an ignorant airhead. I heard people who have really bad comprehension skills tend to have that.
Reply 8
Aww you sound like an ignorant airhead. I heard people who have really bad comprehension skills tend to have that.

Can you explain my ignorance in trying to enlighten ignorant responses in this thread?*

Airhead is about right, after all i'm only human, I have my days, but it's done me well so far in life.*

Cheer up gorgeous, go play some pokemon. *
Reply 9

As you can tell, I have a knack at being*facetious, though what I won't tolerate is pretentious, uninformed opinions.*

OP. Well done on getting place at uni, enjoy it, don't listen to these *******s. *
Reply 10
Original post by Mara221B
I put Southampton Solent as my insurance option. My firm is Birmingham City but i'm afraid my grades won't be good enough for BCU. When i put Southampton Solent as my insurance i didn't know about its bad reputation. The course i'll be doing is Psychology(Criminal Behaviour). I'm planning on doing a masters degree in Forensic Psychology at the University of Manchester.

If you're planning on doing a forensic psychology masters, I'd recommend getting in contact with the course leader. I know it's early days, but they will be able to help direct you towards courses that they may well rate highly.

Also, have you checked out portsmouth uni for Psychology? I have friend doing a PhD over there in 'deception detection'...he loves it. *
Our Psychology course is accredited by the British Psychological Society, and can help you make your first steps to becoming a chartered psychologist.

We've got some really cool kit, such as an eye tracker which you can use to observe eye positions on a screen. 95% of our students went on to work or further study after finishing :smile:

- Adam
Original post by Southampton Solent University
Our Psychology course is accredited by the British Psychological Society, and can help you make your first steps to becoming a chartered psychologist.

We've got some really cool kit, such as an eye tracker which you can use to observe eye positions on a screen. 95% of our students went on to work or further study after finishing :smile:

- Adam

yeah Solent rocks for Psychology and stuff i loved my time there.
Southampton Solent isn't a bad place. It isn't the University of Southampton in that it isn't world renowned and a member of the Russell Group. Solent grads seem to say that they went to Southampton Uni. from my experience...a bit like Oxford-Brookes students say they're studying at Oxford. Southampton is great for students. There is plenty to do. The weather is good, accommodation is good and reasonably priced. There is great shopping, clubbing and eating out...and you have the Solent for yachting etc. The New Forest is near by and there are quick rail links to London. No London grime and transport madness, as the place is clean, and transport, first rate. The place is also safe and the people, generally nice. The city is well off and there is plenty of money about. It isn't an 'earthy' city that many would like, and the place draws plenty of international students and UK students who don't want to risk getting stabbed in London or Manchester. Solent generally offers more vocational courses. They are academically tough, though this hasn't always been the case...since the minor, 'pass-everyone' scandal. Grades for entry are way below the 3 A grades expected at Southampton Uni. If you want to do a vocational arts based degree..go for it. ...you will get a job, afterwards. If you want to do straight history, go somewhere else...There seems to be a lot of respect for its Psychology dept, on here...so best to come and have a look around.
(edited 7 years ago)
We always get this kind of stuff coming up in the forums its one of my favorite things to get involved in. Some people think it is an elitist mentality within me but they miss my fundamental character traits I like sorting things into categories and comparing them. If we lived in Caveman times I would probably be comparing Leaves.

So in regards to university standards as a generic trend it is absolutely absurd to try to imply that all universities have the same standards or quality. To assume that Southampton Solent can can compare to the standards of Russel Group universities would be absurd in most cases.

however in most cases it is still worth doing a degree as compared to not doing a degree. That is in most cases even for Universities like Southampton Solent.

Note though this is assuming that you get a student loan and do not have to pay back the degree unless you earn over a certain threshold. If you have to pay £9250 a year out of your own pocket then no this is definitively not worth pursuing at Southampton Solent.

However in most cases you don't have to fork out of your own pocket. and will likely never have to pay it back plus you get three years of dossing and partying and not really doing much work out.

I do condemn all this but not yourself, its not your fault and to be fair the vast majority would take advantage in your situation. I condemn the system instead.

Now as to looking at prospects your graduate salary expectation is £17,000. The Minimum wage in 2017 is going to be £7.50 based on a 37.5 hour week 52 weeks a year that adds up to £14625.
https://listentotaxman.com/14625?
which after tax will pay you £13,112.20 Now if we compare this to the option of going to university apparently you pay nothing off. and you will Now earn £14,727.20

this is an increase of £1615 a year. or divided by 52 £31.06 more a week. which could pay for a trip to the movies with popcorn and a meal before. or a night out or football game if you support a lower league side.

Now then some people will likely blame the area or say the statistics are not reflecting the long term trends. Well from experience if you don't get into the industry right away it can be even harder later.

looking at what graduates from Southampton Solent psychology department are doing which university lists the three most common fields. 8% are sales assistants and retail cashiers. basically work at Tescos or Next or whatever other high street brand shops etc.
http://university.which.co.uk/southampton-solent-university-s30/psychology-3-years-8050-c800

This is not people who have taken a lower apprenticeship type job or work experience to work their way up it is people who have taken minimum wage jobs and it is in the top three graduate outcomes for students from here. Now if you compare this to Maths graduates from Imperial
http://university.which.co.uk/imperial-college-london-i50/mathematics-4-years-9000-g103-38409

you will notice that all three of the most common destinations for graduates are professional type jobs. with an average graduate income of £30000. Which after tax and student loan deductions gives £22,441.75 this is £7714.55 difference. Also note that they are going directly into strong professions which will have more opportunities for salary increases and career progression.

Although they are a very prestigious university for an in demand degree so it is an extreme I am just trying to illustrate the disparity.

Some people may argue about the area so looking at Maths graduates from Southampton university we again see impressive figures in comparison.
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-southampton-s27/mathematics-3-years-9000-g100-69780
£25000 with promising direction career paths on graduation.

Now am I saying don't go to Southampton Solent?

not at all technically a degree from Open University would look a lot better at this point http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q07

However maybe you want the university experience and studying at home does not seem very appealing. i can understand that. Remember these are statistics not cast in stone outcomes and if you work very hard at Southampton Solent and get a first and are ambitious in attaining work experience you might still do alright.

however I don't think its fair on you to just tell you that it will all be okay when it likely will be a lot harder. Birmingham city is not that great either but if that is the best you can do then fair enough.

If I were you I would work as hard as I can do the best I can do and then whatever the results of that may be decide am I happy with accepting the outcome of this based on my situation? or do I want to pursue another path eg apprenticeship straight into the work force or Open university?

Remember its your life, so it doesn't matter what other people think it matters what you think but just make the decision based on reason thought the figures in front of you and what you want.

If it comes down to it I don't think going to Southampton Solent would necessarily be a bad decision but I do think there are other options which would be worth considering.
Original post by Mara221B

YES, no one on my course got a job in the industry after leaving here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending