The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Is it free?

You need to make up an account and they'll give you the first 20 (I think, maybe more) for free as a demo.
Original post by riayas
Maybe Liverpool, I think Newcastle is a bit far for me and the other 2 I'll keep as fall backs on a different course

Personally I can't wait to move out as far from home as possible lol
Original post by Gogregg
If I'm honest, it's just practice :smile: I feel like there's a bit of an element of luck to it as well. Sometimes you get the really confusing passages, other times they are quite clear, so really just continue practicing, try improve your reading speed and just skim read it at first and you should improve.
Personally I would look at the question first and the answers, give my best guess then skim read the passage as fast as I could to try find if I was correct. In the process I would usually find the answer, and sometimes I was right (I think :lol: ). But this is just what worked for me. I wouldn't suggest reading the whole passage and trying to take it in, though, that requires too much time and concentration which you just won't have!
Sorry I wasn't much help :s-smilie:

See in your exam, did you find the QR section to be easier than the practice questions you had been doing? I am really struggling with timing atm and finding it really difficult because I'm rushing and end up making mistakes, also did you take part in the decision making or did u sit and do nothing for it? Thanks again
Original post by Euan1603
See in your exam, did you find the QR section to be easier than the practice questions you had been doing? I am really struggling with timing atm and finding it really difficult because I'm rushing and end up making mistakes, also did you take part in the decision making or did u sit and do nothing for it? Thanks again

I dunno about the QR, I was trying to get it all done and some of the questions were alright, mostly easier than the questions I had practices because the information was less complicated, I thought. There were obviously still some questions that took a while, but they weren't too bad I though. Do bear in mind that I am naturally good at maths, though.

I did the DM, because otherwise you lose too much focus. I thought I had too much time for it so I did have 5+ minutes at the end were I was wondering what to do a bit, so I just looked over my answers, but I think it's better to just do it, saves you getting bored, and you maintain focus better.
Original post by Gogregg
I dunno about the QR, I was trying to get it all done and some of the questions were alright, mostly easier than the questions I had practices because the information was less complicated, I thought. There were obviously still some questions that took a while, but they weren't too bad I though. Do bear in mind that I am naturally good at maths, though.

I did the DM, because otherwise you lose too much focus. I thought I had too much time for it so I did have 5+ minutes at the end were I was wondering what to do a bit, so I just looked over my answers, but I think it's better to just do it, saves you getting bored, and you maintain focus better.

Did you find the timing better in the actual exam compared to say that medify mock 2? I myself thought I was good at maths (top in the year) but I just can't seem to get the timing right, and if I do get the timing right, I tend to get about 40-50% wrong! What schools are u thinking of applying too? My first choice is Edinburugh and they like a strong UKCAT so that's why im really trying to nail this.
Original post by Euan1603
Did you find the timing better in the actual exam compared to say that medify mock 2? I myself thought I was good at maths (top in the year) but I just can't seem to get the timing right, and if I do get the timing right, I tend to get about 40-50% wrong! What schools are u thinking of applying too? My first choice is Edinburugh and they like a strong UKCAT so that's why im really trying to nail this.

Yeah I did, but I think I got quite lucky with my Questions. If you're confident with percentage change/increase/decrease and getting information from a table, then you should definitely be alright. I think just work on calculating stuff quicker. Sometimes it can be quicker to work things out in your head than working it out using the calculator.

Are you using the numpad to enter the numbers? It is so much quicker if you do that. Also, use the shortcut 'alt+c' to quickly open the calculator to try save yourself time :h:

In Medify mock 2 I got 650, in the real thing I got 850. That is because I decided to focus on QR after that, because obviously it needed improving, so I also did the mini mock on QR (I think I got 750 for that). Remember that it is more important to do it well than quickly. Try aiming for 80% of it done, but all correct, and then you can guess the rest of the answers and probably get at least 700. It is always better to have them all done, but if that isn't feasible without sacrificing quality, then just try to get as many right as you can, as opposed to as many done as you can.

I'm most likely going to apply to Plymouth, UEA, BSMS and Newcastle :excited:
Original post by Gogregg
Yeah I did, but I think I got quite lucky with my Questions. If you're confident with percentage change/increase/decrease and getting information from a table, then you should definitely be alright. I think just work on calculating stuff quicker. Sometimes it can be quicker to work things out in your head than working it out using the calculator.

Are you using the numpad to enter the numbers? It is so much quicker if you do that. Also, use the shortcut 'alt+c' to quickly open the calculator to try save yourself time :h:

In Medify mock 2 I got 650, in the real thing I got 850. That is because I decided to focus on QR after that, because obviously it needed improving, so I also did the mini mock on QR (I think I got 750 for that). Remember that it is more important to do it well than quickly. Try aiming for 80% of it done, but all correct, and then you can guess the rest of the answers and probably get at least 700. It is always better to have them all done, but if that isn't feasible without sacrificing quality, then just try to get as many right as you can, as opposed to as many done as you can.

I'm most likely going to apply to Plymouth, UEA, BSMS and Newcastle :excited:

Brilliant, thanks a lot, will definitely focus on QR from now as I have less than a week to go! You have been a great help so hopefully I'll do a bit better now!
Took my UKCAT today, I thought i'd be happy at this point but not really :frown:(
VR - 550
QR - 770
AR - 580
SJT - band 3
Avg - 633
Total - 1900
Except for AR, idk how i sank SO low in all the other three. Id been getting 630-650 in both VR and AR. On the bright side, my QR went better than expected.
SJT - oh god idek how i screwed it up. never got below band 2 in medify or pearson or ISC.

Guys you always see people posting their good scores on this forum, but im posting my amazingly **** scores to give you a wake up call and hopefully not underestimate the exam.

Also, how royally fkd am I in terms of uni admissions (A100)?

Thanks
Original post by mssg
I just did my UKCAT on 16/07............. questions were very difficult. The level of difficulty was much more than any of the practice questions i had been doing including Kaplans UKCAT Plus. I just managed 1850/2700 with band 3 in STJ.

Any new sas to how other are doing in the UKCAT of 2016.?

Few unis care about SJs I think
Reply 829
Original post by dakshsaksena
Took my UKCAT today, I thought i'd be happy at this point but not really :frown:(
VR - 550
QR - 770
AR - 580
SJT - band 3
Avg - 633
Total - 1900
Except for AR, idk how i sank SO low in all the other three. Id been getting 630-650 in both VR and AR. On the bright side, my QR went better than expected.
SJT - oh god idek how i screwed it up. never got below band 2 in medify or pearson or ISC.

Guys you always see people posting their good scores on this forum, but im posting my amazingly **** scores to give you a wake up call and hopefully not underestimate the exam.

Thanks

Cheer up. Your VR score is great and i'd love to see that at my end even on the mock!
Check out the cut offa from last year. Your average is not bad and there are schools that will accept it. The one thing that might be a bit concerning for the schools is the sjt. But i don't think all schools look at it anyway.

All the best!
Original post by jennyellen_
Did mine today!
VR - 700
AR - 630
QR - 890
SJ - Band 1

Overall pretty pleased 😊

Would definitely recommend the UKCAT 1000 book as that's all I used, and defs skipping/guessing harder questions and coming back later if you have the time. *

WOW, that's such a good score!!
What uni's are u applying to??
Took my UKCAT today, I thought i'd be happy at this point but not really :frown:
VR - 550
QR - 770
AR - 580
SJT - band 3
Avg - 633
Total - 1900

Thanks

Hey, your scores are actually quite good :h:
Do bear in mind that on TSR, you do tend to have some of the people that do amazingly well.
Your score is around average, so it will be good enough for most schools, just avoid KCL and Newcastle and maybe a few others, since they tend to be very UKCAT heavy. Also, you didn't get a band 4, so that's enough for any of the universities that do look at the SJT, and there are quite a few that don't.

Don't worry about your UKCAT score, since it is about what will probably be average, and in the end, it doesn't mean a whole lot to quite a lot of the schools. If you're really worried about it, you can always apply to some more of the BMAT schools :u:
For medify, did y'all complete all the practise questoons on medify? also, does anyone reccomend doing kaplan score higher mocks and/or theofficial ukcat questions. Exams in two weeks and ive done no online practise just isc, would appreciate any guidance..thanx
Original post by riayas
Yeh honestly I thought I was gonna flop so bad, I started revising a week before and I was like there is no way i'm gonna pass this. But then i bought a week on Medify and that helped so much.

Wow only a week before? Your score turned out great, have you been getting scores close to your test score in the mocks?
VR - 550
QR - 770
AR - 580
SJT - band 3
Avg - 633
Total - 1900

Thanks

Just apply to bmat schools or schools that don't really care about the ukcat so much e.g. - Cardiff, Bristol, also I think I saw some people with that score getting an interview at Liverpool so don't worry too much about it!! :smile:
Reply 835
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Wow only a week before? Your score turned out great, have you been getting scores close to your test score in the mocks?

Actually I did way better in my actual exam, I did 2 mocks and got about 600avg on my first one and 630 on my second one and didn't have time to do the third, so let that be a lesson to start early revision
24 days till my exam and I'm taking nearly 3 times as much time as I should for QR questions from the ISC book.... help
Reply 837
Original post by 123chem
so, i did the kaplan Diagnostic test in their book (ignoring DA). Using their table to scale the scores, i got 700 on VR, 890 on QR, and 730 on AR, Band 2 SJT. But i want to confirm that the difficulty is somewhat similar, and so is the scaling of marks?

So I did my UKCAT yesterday and in the Kaplan diagnostics test I got VR:700 QR:890 and AR:650 with band 2 SJT (so pretty much the same as what you got) and managed to get VR: 670 QR:850 and AR: 680 (I'm really surprised because I couldn't actually see any patterns at all so guessed the majority) with band 2 SJT in the actual test!

I think the scaling for VR is actually too lenient in the Kaplan book and the QR questions a bit easier (while the 1000q ones are sooooo much more difficult). However overall it gives a fairly accurate representation :smile:
Does anyone know if you can still use the numbers on the keyboard to type into the calculator on the test or do you have to click the buttons individually?
Hi, I'm a bit clueless to whether mine is a good score?
I got VR: 590
QR: 750
AR: 770
STJ: Band 1
Average: 703
I'm happy with everything except VR and I wondered if it is better to get medium-high scores on all, or to have higher scores on two sections and a quite a low score on one as I have done?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending