The Student Room Group

Girls what is your impression of Men's standard of dress these day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caius Filimon
How is liking different things ever irrelevant? Everyone has a right to judge and saying otherwise makes very little sense. If you dress however you want then it means you don't care about how you might be judged by it.

Which is the point: I shouldn't have to be judged for wearing whatever I want to wear just because someone else might disapprove of a choice I've made that doesn't affect them in the slightest.

Good for you; I wear a shirt/t shirt and jeans too, but I also understand that some people prefer other sorts of styles. I don't particularly care as I don't intend to play off of my fashion sense but rather myself as a person ...

Seeing as we seem to be on the same page here, I can assume that you'd be slightly peeved if someone disregarded you as a person but chose to judge you based solely on what you were wearing, yes?

As for your last paragraph, I'm pretty sure we weren't talking about people not liking someone's outfit and going up to them to chastise them about bad taste ..

I took it to an extreme, but the base point remains: OP was asking for someone else's impression of my clothing choice. Well, quite frankly, their impression of my clothing choice is irrelevant for the two reasons that I gave in my first post in the thread.

And seeing as their impression is irrelevant seeing as, as stated above, it doesn't affect them in the slightest, then why does that make it ok for people to judge other people on what they're wearing?

Or, more to the point, why should I care about what other people think regarding my clothing choice? I shouldn't. And because I don't care about it, and because it's irrelevant to them (and it is irrelevant to them; my body, my clothes, my choice. Doesn't affect them, etc) then what gives people the right to judge?

Ergo, someone else's impression of what I'm wearing, or in this case, the social standard which I'm being measured up against, is entirely irrelevant.

Tl;dr: Just because someone else prefers a different style it doesn't mean they should judge me for not fitting in with their ideal of what I "should" be wearing.

I realise I'm sort of making a mountain out of a molehill here, but the underlying issue (one of judging people based upon their clothing choices, or in other words, judging someone on something superficial instead of looking at them as a person) is a rather important one.
Original post by Gavin2016
Ok, so not talking about business suites or work wear but out and about in public, free times, relaxation/leisure, etc. Not necessarily meaning expecting all guys to wear formal shirts and stuff like that either, it can be, but also on casual wear. Late teens and twenties & thirties kind of age group.

I just hate it when they try and dress up 'cool' but end up looking like members of a boyband. I actually think that they look more normal and less idiotic, the less effort they make.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Which is the point: I shouldn't have to be judged for wearing whatever I want to wear just because someone else might disapprove of a choice I've made that doesn't affect them in the slightest.

Seeing as we seem to be on the same page here, I can assume that you'd be slightly peeved if someone disregarded you as a person but chose to judge you based solely on what you were wearing, yes?

I took it to an extreme, but the base point remains: OP was asking for someone else's impression of my clothing choice. Well, quite frankly, their impression of my clothing choice is irrelevant for the two reasons that I gave in my first post in the thread.

And seeing as their impression is irrelevant seeing as, as stated above, it doesn't affect them in the slightest, then why does that make it ok for people to judge other people on what they're wearing?

Or, more to the point, why should I care about what other people think regarding my clothing choice? I shouldn't. And because I don't care about it, and because it's irrelevant to them (and it is irrelevant to them; my body, my clothes, my choice. Doesn't affect them, etc) then what gives people the right to judge?

Ergo, someone else's impression of what I'm wearing, or in this case, the social standard which I'm being measured up against, is entirely irrelevant.

Tl;dr: Just because someone else prefers a different style it doesn't mean they should judge me for not fitting in with their ideal of what I "should" be wearing.

I realise I'm sort of making a mountain out of a molehill here, but the underlying issue (one of judging people based upon their clothing choices, or in other words, judging someone on something superficial instead of looking at them as a person) is a rather important one.

I suppose that in terms of whether it 'should' be so or so it would definitely be preferable for people not to judge people (at least not considerably so) on how they dress. But in the end, people do have a right to, and always will, judge based on the most superficial of things.

Although, surely, in some cases, the way one dresses can also be indicative of the sort of people they are. I know of many such examples. I think it is quite alright to expect of people to be at least relatively clean and wear adequate clothing. Not judging someone with ripped, smelly clothes might not be that great after all.
As an example, girls who dress not terribly modestly or dudes with very baggy trousers and very loose fitting shirts would likely see themselves judged to hell and back.

In the end, one cannot just say that everything is a social construct and ignore all social norms. But yeah, a decently clothed person shouldn't be judged much at all just if you have different tastes or what not, but it will always happen and people do have a right to judge. Whether that's good for anyone involved is debatable, surely.
I like smart casual/preppy on men. Cream and burgundy chinos, blazers, jumpers, brogues, loafers etc. :love:
The most important rule is KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Even though i experiment with my wardrobe i will always have the classics in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
as a guy
I just have 4 outfits
the work- Zegna suit, D+G loafers, Hugo boss or Patek Philippe silk tie
the weekend- polo shirt, chinos or jeans, trainers
the thug- leather jacket, jeans, construction boots
the stereotype- sleeveless denim jacket, trackies, t-shirt, flip flops/crocs
I wear turtlenecks.
Watch out ladies.
Generally terrible, but that's because I like to see men dressed rather old-fashionedly:colondollar: A handsome man in a shirt, jumper and trousers will have me salivating like a dog on a hot day.
Reply 28
Original post by Nadile
Not kawaii enough.

On a more serious side, i generally don't care as long as their underwear isn't showing.

Isn't the whole point that A). The girls gets turned on by seeing the guys underwear & B). Is an expensive underwear brand making him look like his got money, again turning the girl on?
Reply 29
Original post by Drunk Punx
I thought that society judging people on such things was phased out during the '50s.

At the end of the day, I'll wear something for two reasons:
- I like it.
- It's comfy.

Unless you're playing a game (socially or literally), there is no reason to wear anything other than the above two.

Why would one time period be that much different to another in terms of how women think? Wouldn't they think similar in any era. So say clothing today replacing the shiny armour of the medieval times and the car replacing the horse? If women do put such significance on clothing (and their own clothes shopping being point in case) then its valid for us men to consider it perhaps.
Why would one time period be that much different to another in terms of how women think? Wouldn't they think similar in any era. So say clothing today replacing the shiny armour of the medieval times and the car replacing the horse? If women do put such significance on clothing (and their own clothes shopping being point in case) then its valid for us men to consider it perhaps.

Not just women, but society as a whole.

The Victorian era attitude of being held to (and judged by) your standards of dress lingered on into the 1900s', an attitude which only really started to loosen around the time of the 60s when fashion went a bit... weird.
I wish everyone still dressed like the Peaky Blinders

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
The worst is girls going out in 'Onesies' god awful, serious lack of any clue about fashion sense and visual self.

Onsies, elasticated jeans, denim jackets, shorts rather than skirts, baggy leggings.

Certainly women have lost the plot even if i do agree that most men have the style of an elephant attempting to mate with a mouse.
Original post by drowzee
I like smart casual/preppy on men. Cream and burgundy chinos, blazers, jumpers, brogues, loafers etc. :love:

Never been a fan of chinos but when skinny i did rock the shirt and checked/stripy jumper/shirt and blazer with jeans and shoes.

Can confirm i had women coming up and complementing me on my clothes (may have thought i was gay until i made a pass at them :tongue: ).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending