The Student Room Group

Should I apply for a Provisional License?

I can't decide whether to apply for a Provisional driving license :frown:

I have no idea when I will be starting to learn; can I buy the provisional now and start learning in perhaps two years?

What does the application process take- the Gov website describes needing pictures and stuff- can anyone provide a more detailed description?

Learning to drive is a huge social status and general step, so applying for a Prov feels like a big thing.

Any help is much appreciated!
Original post by Wiggly

I have no idea when I will be starting to learn; can I buy the provisional now and start learning in perhaps two years?

What does the application process take- the Gov website describes needing pictures and stuff- can anyone provide a more detailed description?

Learning to drive is a huge social status and general step, so applying for a Prov feels like a big thing.

I'd say it's a good thing to have, even if just in terms of having an alternative ID to your passport!

You could definitely start learning in two years if you got your provisional now, they don't expire that quickly :smile:
Original post by Wiggly

It's pretty much the same as a passport application. As shadow says, you might as well even just for ID, and then learn to drive when you wan and/or can.
The application takes roughly as long as a passport application :smile:
And a provisional lasts as long as an adult passport, so 10 years and even if you learn in 2 years you still have enough time on your provisional license :biggrin:

And as everyone else has said, it's an alternative photo ID :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What's the actual application like though? Would I be asked to tell them information such as about my eye-glasses prescription strength or can they find that stuff out by themselves? How soon would I have to pay, etc?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wiggly
What's the actual application like though? Would I be asked to tell them information such as about my eye-glasses prescription strength or can they find that stuff out by themselves? How soon would I have to pay, etc?

I can't remember honestly as I don't need glasses so never came to mind, only one way to find out! It's just an online form and you pay straight away.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending