The Student Room Group

How do you revise for maths?

Right, so I have disability called dyscalculia which means I struggle processing things, especially with maths.

We've tried everything, but as my GCSEs draw near I feel that I am completely stuffed.

Please give advice!
You still have plenty of time! Let's start with a few questions :smile::

What tier are you working on?

What grade are you currently working at? (and what grade are you aiming for?)

What exam board do you have for Maths?

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by _gcx
You still have plenty of time! Let's start with a few questions :smile::

What tier are you working on?

What grade are you currently working at?

What exam board do you have for Maths?

Foundation
Level 2 (For new exams)
Edexcel
Reply 3
Original post by ThusDeath
Foundation
Level 2 (For new exams)
Edexcel

My predicted grade is a level 3, sorry forgot to add that:smile:
Right, so I have disability called dyscalculia which means I struggle processing things, especially with maths.

We've tried everything, but as my GCSEs draw near I feel that I am completely stuffed.

Please give advice!

Well let me start by saying I have 3 types of Dyslexia from struggling to work with mathematics to English. I am 20 years old. I passed my Maths last year... It took me around 6 years to pass my maths from leaving school. With the correct revision I went from an F grade to a grade C at GCSE. I am now currently at University.

The reason why I passed last year was because I did lots and lots of revision. Plus I had a very good maths teacher. I am unsure if you have seen it but I would defiantly recommend 'https://www.mathswatchvle.com/' without this website I would of FAILED again.

I had access to this site because the college had bought all the users a login from the site. This site offers visual help as well as audio help towards maths revision.

I started of by making myself a planner and ticked off what I revised that night. I went down every video that the site offers.

I would fully recommend even buying yourself a login and password for this site. Click on the site and you can see example videos if you are doing foundation or higher. Anymore questions feel free to ask me.
Reply 5
Original post by urbanlocations
Well let me start by saying I have 3 types of Dyslexia from struggling to work with mathematics to English. I am 20 years old. I passed my Maths last year... It took me around 6 years to pass my maths from leaving school. With the correct revision I went from an F grade to a grade C at GCSE. I am now currently at University.

The reason why I passed last year was because I did lots and lots of revision. Plus I had a very good maths teacher. I am unsure if you have seen it but I would defiantly recommend 'https://www.mathswatchvle.com/' without this website I would of FAILED again.

I had access to this site because the college had bought all the users a login from the site. This site offers visual help as well as audio help towards maths revision.

I started of by making myself a planner and ticked off what I revised that night. I went down every video that the site offers.

I would fully recommend even buying yourself a login and password for this site. Click on the site and you can see example videos if you are doing foundation or higher. Anymore questions feel free to ask me.

Thank you, It sounds awesome!
Thank you, It sounds awesome!

You welcome. If you're smart too. You might find the videos on youtube or something free :wink: :wink: mathswatch :wink:

Another hint. Add structure to your revision don't just start any old revision random days.... set a long list... and a tick box at the end.

for example Algebra................................. (TICK) Done.
KOJDSFIOSD.......................(TICK) Done.
Foundation
Level 2 (For new exams)
Edexcel

Have you done any past papers recently? If so, you should start by identifying where you slipped up. Is it a problem with basic calculations, or more complex multi-stage procedures? If you've done calculator exams, have you remembered to use a calclulator? (now there's 2 calculator exams, so they could help you bump your grade up if your general arithmatic is limited) As we're the first year to do the 9-1 exams, there's not much practice material out there. I would, however, definitely recommend looking at the sample assessment material that is available. In terms of practice, my favourite site is OnMaths. There's quizzes for individual topics that you can try out, as well as full mock exams. There are also accompanying YouTube videos for some of the material on there. It is for the old A*-U spec, but a lot of it is still relevant. However, I have to say, the exam will be unfortunately harder, and Foundation will suffer the most. In, what I assume to be, an effort to make the exams harder, several topics previously exclusive to Higher, have now crept their way onto Foundation. Although this may cause the grade boundaries to slip down, it will undoubtedly result in the exams being harder. Here's a summary of what's new.

It might also be worth looking into a tutor, if that is a possibility. It might help you to have 1-on-1 help. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by urbanlocations
You welcome. If you're smart too. You might find the videos on youtube or something free :wink: :wink: mathswatch :wink:

Another hint. Add structure to your revision don't just start any old revision random days.... set a long list... and a tick box at the end.

for example Algebra................................. (TICK) Done.
KOJDSFIOSD.......................(TICK) Done.

Awesome advice thank you, I'll give it a try :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by _gcx
Have you done any past papers recently? If so, you should start by identifying where you slipped up. Is it a problem with basic calculations, or more complex multi-stage procedures? If you've done calculator exams, have you remembered to use a calclulator? (now there's 2 calculator exams, so they could help you bump your grade up if your general arithmatic is limited) As we're the first year to do the 9-1 exams, there's not much practice material out there. I would, however, definitely recommend looking at the sample assessment material that is available. In terms of practice, my favourite site is OnMaths. There's quizzes for individual topics that you can try out, as well as full mock exams. There are also accompanying YouTube videos for some of the material on there. It is for the old A*-U spec, but a lot of it is still relevant. However, I have to say, the exam will be unfortunately harder, and Foundation will suffer the most. In, what I assume to be, an effort to make the exams harder, several topics previously exclusive to Higher, have now crept their way onto Foundation. Although this may cause the grade boundaries to slip down, it will undoubtedly result in the exams being harder. Here's a summary of what's new.

It might also be worth looking into a tutor, if that is a possibility. It might help you to have 1-on-1 help. :wink:

Thank you!
Do past papers x10000000000000000000000000000

if there is a particular topic you keep on struggling with (the topics where you really don't have a clue) when you're doing a past paper revise that so that when it comes up in the actual test you can at least grab some marks, even if you don't get the correct final answer.
Reply 11
Original post by george_c00per
Do past papers x10000000000000000000000000000

if there is a particular topic you keep on struggling with (the topics where you really don't have a clue) when you're doing a past paper revise that so that when it comes up in the actual test you can at least grab some marks, even if you don't get the correct final answer.

Thank you, I'll have a look
Practise past papers (as already mentioned). Also try to use as many other resources available to help you (teachers, watching YouTube videos/MathsWatch etc)

Please give advice!

Hey PM me if you need help. I'm also going into year 11 and I'm doing foundation for maths.
Don't worry you'll do fine:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest