The Student Room Group

First year advice?

Hi,
Do any of you have some first year university advice?
What to take to a lecture etc?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xWanderlustx
Hi,

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What uni have you firmed? What subject?
Original post by LPauling
What uni have you firmed? What subject?

I'm going to university in Canada(I'm Canadian anyways). I'm going into the faculty of business, with the intent in majoring in either international business or actuarial mathematics(I'm leaning towards this option).
I've already chosen all my courses so far, and have already completed one university course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi,

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR has a good guide on what to take to uni, but that's more moving stuff haha. I'd say that by far my best advice is to not give in to the "first year doesn't count" view (though not sure if its the same in Canada) - you should go to all your lectures unless you're ill or doing something in-industry (like attending a conference). Having said that, uni is also fun, so remember to enjoy the social side too!
Original post by dp247
TSR has a good guide on what to take to uni, but that's more moving stuff haha. I'd say that by far my best advice is to not give in to the "first year doesn't count" view (though not sure if its the same in Canada) - you should go to all your lectures unless you're ill or doing something in-industry (like attending a conference). Having said that, uni is also fun, so remember to enjoy the social side too!

Thank you I'll def look into it!
Hi,

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :smile:

Best news is that the Student Room is filled with a lot of first year university advice!
It'd be good to go back through some threads on the website as a lot of your questions, queries and worries will get answered there!

Advice;

Depending on the university, first year "doesn't count" and you'll hear it a lot. Some universities, the grades count towards final marks where as with others, it doesn't - either way, work hard in your first year. Understand what you personally need to do to achieve certain marks and understand the time and effort you need to put in to do so.

When it comes to what to take to lectures, people take different things. I started off First Year with simple pen and paper but then at Christmas in First Year I bought myself an iPad Mini and took that to lectures to write notes and it made it so much easier. I could use sound recordings, use the internet quickly and easily, make notes and share them between my computer and my phone and it made life so much easier - however pen and paper is still as good and means you can rewrite your notes onto a computer at a later date!

Depending on the module it'll be good to take any of the books that you're currently reading for the course or that the lecturer has suggested you bring etc.

If it's a long day always take some water and a little bite to eat / or make sure you have money on you for if you have a break. Also, a weird one but make sure you dress comfy - you can love your course whole heartedly but if you aren't comfy in a lecture it can make them drag!

There are many more helpful tips but it depends on whether you're living at home or in halls etc.

Either way, best of luck!
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:

Best news is that the Student Room is filled with a lot of first year university advice!
It'd be good to go back through some threads on the website as a lot of your questions, queries and worries will get answered there!

Advice;

Depending on the university, first year "doesn't count" and you'll hear it a lot. Some universities, the grades count towards final marks where as with others, it doesn't - either way, work hard in your first year. Understand what you personally need to do to achieve certain marks and understand the time and effort you need to put in to do so.

When it comes to what to take to lectures, people take different things. I started off First Year with simple pen and paper but then at Christmas in First Year I bought myself an iPad Mini and took that to lectures to write notes and it made it so much easier. I could use sound recordings, use the internet quickly and easily, make notes and share them between my computer and my phone and it made life so much easier - however pen and paper is still as good and means you can rewrite your notes onto a computer at a later date!

Depending on the module it'll be good to take any of the books that you're currently reading for the course or that the lecturer has suggested you bring etc.

If it's a long day always take some water and a little bite to eat / or make sure you have money on you for if you have a break. Also, a weird one but make sure you dress comfy - you can love your course whole heartedly but if you aren't comfy in a lecture it can make them drag!

There are many more helpful tips but it depends on whether you're living at home or in halls etc.

Either way, best of luck!

THANK you so much, this will help me a ton!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have 5/6 modules buy 5/6 note pads.

This really helps with structure.

Pens.

AND LOTS OF SWEETS FOR WHEN YOU'RE BORED TO DEATH
Hi,

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is loads of different advice that can be given on different aspects of starting uni, uni life and studying. Is there anything else specifically you would like to know?

As for lectures it depends. If you are faster at writing then take with you a note pad and pen (as well as some highlighters), but if your faster at typing then take a laptop with you.
I also like to record my lectures, you dont have to buy a fancy recorder, a phone is good enough providing you are close enough to the lecturer.

Other lecture essentials include a big bottle of water and some healthy snacks! especially if your going to be in there for a long time.
Original post by urbanlocations
If you have 5/6 modules buy 5/6 note pads.

This really helps with structure.

Pens.

AND LOTS OF SWEETS FOR WHEN YOU'RE BORED TO DEATH

Okay thank you!!! I'm bringing a school bag to school, so I should be good with pens. I'll defo go and buy the amount of notebooks for my classes!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
There is loads of different advice that can be given on different aspects of starting uni, uni life and studying. Is there anything else specifically you would like to know?

As for lectures it depends. If you are faster at writing then take with you a note pad and pen (as well as some highlighters), but if your faster at typing then take a laptop with you.
I also like to record my lectures, you dont have to buy a fancy recorder, a phone is good enough providing you are close enough to the lecturer.

Other lecture essentials include a big bottle of water and some healthy snacks! especially if your going to be in there for a long time.

Probably what to expect, especially class wise.

Thank you for that! Apparently at my university, most students take either a laptop or a tablet. Glad to hear it isn't like that everywhere.
Thank you so much!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably what to expect, especially class wise.

Thank you for that! Apparently at my university, most students take either a laptop or a tablet. Glad to hear it isn't like that everywhere.
Thank you so much!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea my uni is the same in the respect that most people use laptops or tablets in lectures.
Okay thank you!!! I'm bringing a school bag to school, so I should be good with pens. I'll defo go and buy the amount of notebooks for my classes!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be fine then ;D

Quick Reply

Latest