The Student Room Group

Parents won't support me at University (Financially)

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unfortunately I don't there's anything you can do barring:

1) Get a job whilst at uni
2) Beg your parents to support you

It seems STF don't budge to these sorts of things.

May I ask why your parents refuse to support you, especially if they have the means to?
Reply 2
Original post by Tai Ga
Unfortunately I don't there's anything you can do barring:

1) Get a job whilst at uni
2) Beg your parents to support you

It seems STF don't budge to these sorts of things.

May I ask why your parents refuse to support you, especially if they have the means to?

They pretty much say :
Why should I have to go to work to pay for your fees when you can do it yourself.
Reply 3
How much money do you need to survive at uni? I don't want to have to work too much that it affects my grades.
Reply 4
Original post by stevey396
You are not entitled to higher education, I am completely on the side of your parents here.

You should put off going to university until you have the money (yes, you need to find a full time job) to cover yourself for the whole three years.

How long do you think it would take to save up for 4 years of reasonable living?
Reply 5
Original post by MCPC247
They pretty much say :
Why should I have to go to work to pay for your fees when you can do it yourself.

Wow that's pretty cold. Are they not aware of how difficult it can be to juggle a job and studies, especially when working in order to survive as opposes to just rustling up pocket change? I've seen my timetable for next year and couldn't imagine working.

In regards to how much things cost, well it's entirely dependent on where you're studying. If it's london, things are gonna be pretty pricey. Up north however, it'll probably be less. I probably spend around £30 a week if you discount alcohol and going out. The most expensive thing will be rent for halls tbh, for which can cost in excess of £100. I know mine did.

I'd map out the general cost of things, perhaps devise a budget and thing about appropriate jobs. Or maybe consider deferring a year in order to save up.
Original post by MCPC247
How long do you think it would take to save up for 4 years of reasonable living?

Assuming a full time job on minimum wage then 3-4 years.
Original post by MCPC247
They pretty much say :

Did they go to Uni? Did they pay for themselves or did their parents help them?

You are their child. You would think they would want the best for you and support you. If they wont help, then you will just have to save up the money yourself I think i.e delay going for several years. I think there are probisions for if you became estranged from them.

I wouldnt beg. If they wont help then thats their choice but it says a lot about your relationship.
If your parents aren't willing to assist you, just get a job. It's no real hardship to work part time during term time or full time during the 4 month summer holiday.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Did they go to Uni? Did they pay for themselves or did their parents help them?

You are their child. You would think they would want the best for you and support you. If they wont help, then you will just have to save up the money yourself I think i.e delay going for several years. I think there are probisions for if you became estranged from them.

I wouldnt beg. If they wont help then thats their choice but it says a lot about your relationship.

My parents, my mum especially, came from a relatively poor family and so she was working from an early age, which i think is where she gets her mindset from. She told me how she used to work a lot during uni and she would give money to her parents to support them as well.
Original post by stevey396
You are not entitled to higher education, I am completely on the side of your parents here.

You should put off going to university until you have the money (yes, you need to find a full time job) to cover yourself for the whole three years.

Are you joking? Everyone able should be entitled to higher education regardless of their income, and OP doesn't get money from SFE because his parents earn too much money and could easily support him. The point of the loan is that it will be paid back in the future.
Original post by MCPC247
Hi,
I've just finished my A levels and I'm planning to go to uni in October (outside London). However, as the title says, my parents are not prepared to contribute towards any costs.
My parents earn quite a lot of money and as a result my maintenance loan won't even cover my accommodation costs. Their income also means I'm also not eligible for grants and bursarys.
I have a friend whose parents don't earn much and so he is entitled to the maximum maintenance loan. He will also receive £1.5k/year from a means based scholarship. In addition to this, his parents will also be contributing. I think i'm getting jealous? He will have roughly 3-4 times the amount of money available for food etc compared to what I will have.
Is it bad of me to ask my parents for help when they don't want to?
Is there anything I can do with SFE?
What do you guys recommend?

What uni/course? What are your expectations? A first maybe? How seriously do you take education? If you really want to excel:

Try to explain to your parents that you don't get enough loan from SFE because they earn too much and the logic behind this is that they could support you MORE than poor parents, which is why you're not getting much money. Try to convince them to at least pay the difference between the loan you're getting and the maximum amount of the loan you'd be getting if they were poor. Other students will have better opportunities because they will be supported by rich parents... also, if your mum's parents were poor, she would've got the full amount, and you can't compare her time with your time. Try to reason with her. (I think my points are quite reasonable) If you want to get good grades, you won't have energy/time to work.
Get a job. You can easily earn enough money over summer to sustain you for the first year, and if you have a part time job while at university, then you have extra money for rent and food and entertainment.

You could always ask for help from your parents, but show them that you are at least attempting to finance yourself first.
Original post by MCPC247
My parents, my mum especially, came from a relatively poor family and so she was working from an early age, which i think is where she gets her mindset from. She told me how she used to work a lot during uni and she would give money to her parents to support them as well.

I think its poor that they wont help you, especually if they are earning lots now.
Obviously its different these days than when your mum went to Uni.

If they wont help they wont help so you are going to have to defer. Youd have think they would have told you about this before, so you would have known.

I would get a job for 3-4 years to earn the money I needed.
Theres no point making a sing and dance about it as they dont care whether you go or not.
Original post by MCPC247

No, of course not. I can't imagine anything more legitimate to ask your parents to help with than an investment in your education.

Personally I think a system that gives rise to these situations is completely stupid, and that substantial loans should be available to all students. I can see absolutely no justification for the present fact that a student whose parents refuse to help him is in a far worse position than a student whose parents just can't afford to. Unfortunately, though, it is what it is, and you'll have to work around it.

Avoid taking on too much work while you're at university if you possibly can. You're supposed to be concentrating on your degree.
Original post by MCPC247
Hi,
I've just finished my A levels and I'm planning to go to uni in October (outside London). However, as the title says, my parents are not prepared to contribute towards any costs.
My parents earn quite a lot of money and as a result my maintenance loan won't even cover my accommodation costs. Their income also means I'm also not eligible for grants and bursarys.
I have a friend whose parents don't earn much and so he is entitled to the maximum maintenance loan. He will also receive £1.5k/year from a means based scholarship. In addition to this, his parents will also be contributing. I think i'm getting jealous? He will have roughly 3-4 times the amount of money available for food etc compared to what I will have.
Is there anything I can do with SFE?
What do you guys recommend?

could you apply as a independent student for a non means tested loan you might have to get a job and work a little (in bars or at the uni probably) but thats your best bet
Reply 16
Original post by lawlieto
Try to convince them to at least pay the difference between the loan you're getting and the maximum amount of the loan you'd be getting if they were poor.

I've already tried lol, I even asked them to loan me the difference between max and min on a contract but they weren't having any of it.
Doesn't sound like your parents care about you tbh.
Another option would be to get a job and move out, then apply as someone who's estranged from their parents.
Original post by MCPC247
I've already tried lol, I even asked them to loan me the difference between max and min on a contract but they weren't having any of it.

Try to show them these posts that there are many people who think what they do is not normal.

Quick Reply

Latest