The Student Room Group

UKCAT (Don't really get it)

So I am hoping to do Medicine, I am currently going to start A levels this September. I've been hearing about the UKCAT but i dont really understand what it is. What is it?
Reply 1
Sorry this isn't really the correct forum to place it in, but oh well lol.
Original post by Amelia76
Sorry this isn't really the correct forum to place it in, but oh well lol.

I've moved it for you.:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I've moved it for you.:smile:

Aw thanks a lot
Reply 4
So I am hoping to do Medicine, I am currently going to start A levels this September. I've been hearing about the UKCAT but i dont really understand what it is. What is it?

It's an aptitude test used by some universities as entry requirements. It consists of a number of different sections. You usually do it the summer before you apply so for you summer 2017.
Different universities use it differently. Some have cut offs, others just use it to differentiate between students and some use it to gather an overall view of the students capability.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk
I didn't want to go into too much detail but here is the link to the UKCAT website and you can get some more information on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by mliela
It's an aptitude test used by some universities as entry requirements. It consists of a number of different sections. You usually do it the summer before you apply so for you summer 2017.
Different universities use it differently. Some have cut offs, others just use it to differentiate between students and some use it to gather an overall view of the students capability.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk
I didn't want to go into too much detail but here is the link to the UKCAT website and you can get some more information on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your help. Appreciate it!
Reply 6
The UKCAT is an aptitude test that most, if not all, medicine and dentistry applicants will take. It's something that you can't revise for, but you will have to practice for. It is scored between 300 and 900, with about 600ish being the average mark.

It is currently made up of 5 sections:
Verbal Reasoning - You have a passage and you have questions based on the passage. This could be True/False/Can't tell, or the horrible questions which are more common and ask questions such as 'Which of the following statements can be inferred from the passage' and you are given 4 statements and you have to find the correct answer from the passage.
Decision Making - This was being piloted this year, so I don't really know much about it (even though I've done it :lol: ) but it tests your ability to apply logic, evaluate arguments and analyse statistical information
Quantitative Reasoning - loads of GCSE standard maths. A lot of interpreting data under a really horrible time constraint
Abstract Reasoning - Seeing whether you can spot relationships between shapes
Situational Judgement (this is banded from 1 (best) to 4 (worst)) - Tests you on how professional you would be in certain circumstances, so will give you a scenario, and you have to rate given responses from appropriate to inappropriate or how important it is to consider certain things from very important to not important at all.

It's taken on the computer, and it is all multiple choice. It is taken at the same place where you would take your driving theory test, and will only be valid for the year you do it. You can only do it between Late June/July and Early October.

You won't need to even think about it until after exams, but it is important in the application process. Some universities, such as Newcastle, place a large amount of weighting on the UKCAT, so you will need a very good score, others, such as Keele, will just use it in tie-break scenarios.
Reply 7
Original post by Gogregg
The UKCAT is an aptitude test that most, if not all, medicine and dentistry applicants will take. It's something that you can't revise for, but you will have to practice for. It is scored between 300 and 900, with about 600ish being the average mark.

It is currently made up of 5 sections:
Verbal Reasoning - You have a passage and you have questions based on the passage. This could be True/False/Can't tell, or the horrible questions which are more common and ask questions such as 'Which of the following statements can be inferred from the passage' and you are given 4 statements and you have to find the correct answer from the passage.
Decision Making - This was being piloted this year, so I don't really know much about it (even though I've done it :lol: ) but it tests your ability to apply logic, evaluate arguments and analyse statistical information
Quantitative Reasoning - loads of GCSE standard maths. A lot of interpreting data under a really horrible time constraint
Abstract Reasoning - Seeing whether you can spot relationships between shapes
Situational Judgement (this is banded from 1 (best) to 4 (worst)) - Tests you on how professional you would be in certain circumstances, so will give you a scenario, and you have to rate given responses from appropriate to inappropriate or how important it is to consider certain things from very important to not important at all.

It's taken on the computer, and it is all multiple choice. It is taken at the same place where you would take your driving theory test, and will only be valid for the year you do it. You can only do it between Late June/July and Early October.

You won't need to even think about it until after exams, but it is important in the application process. Some universities, such as Newcastle, place a large amount of weighting on the UKCAT, so you will need a very good score, others, such as Keele, will just use it in tie-break scenarios.

Wow thank you so much for your explanation, very helpful. Btw so do i do tjis after A levels?
Reply 8
Wow thank you so much for your explanation, very helpful. Btw so do i do tjis after A levels?

You would do this after you're AS-Levels, before you apply :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Gogregg
You would do this after you're AS-Levels, before you apply :smile:

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know.

Hi Amelia76

The UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) is required for entry to many medical and dentistry courses in Britain. It is taken between July and October the year prior to entry, so if you are just starting your A-levels, you would take your UKCAT next year for 2018 entry.

It is an important test and it really is advisable to prepare yourself for it as well as you possibly can. Because is is not an academic test and doesn't draw on any particular body of knowledge, you can't revise for it. The best way to prepare is to collect the different resources available well in advance of your test date and use those to practise as much as you can in the weeks leading up to your test. You could either do this on your own or as part of a UKCAT course.

There are many resources available and when choosing which to use, it is important to make sure that you have access to the most up to date and comprehensive books available.

You might be interested in reading this blog which gives some tips and insights in to preparing for the UKCAT.

I hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest