The Student Room Group

Non-separable first order differential equations

Revising for a maths resit, simply cannot understand how you solve a non-separable first order differential equation by substitution. Have gone through forums, wikipedia, relevant chapters in my textbook and youtube tutorials and everyone seems to do something different, I can't translate it to any questions I attempt.
If someone could explain how you're supposed to do this in teeny tiny baby steps I'll be very grateful, it's doing my nut in!
Reply 1
So maybe starting with a simple example? Say you have xdydx=y \displaystyle x\frac{dy}{dx} =y , would you know where to start?
Original post by B_9710
So maybe starting with a simple example? Say you have xdydx=y \displaystyle x\frac{dy}{dx} =y , would you know where to start?

I can do that one, because it's separable, could you take me through something like

2xy(dy/dx) = -x^(2) - y^(2)

please? Very grateful for help!
Reply 3
Oh non separable. Apologies.
So we have 2xydydx=(x2+y2) \displaystyle 2xy \frac{dy}{dx}=-(x^2+y^2) .
I'll be back in a few mins.
Are you given a substitution for that question? Usually you're given a substitution to use for a differential equation using substitution.
Reply 5
Original post by dayflower2016
I can do that one, because it's separable, could you take me through something like

2xy(dy/dx) = -x^(2) - y^(2)

please? Very grateful for help!

Having a brief look, you can rearrange to make dy/dx the subject and then a substitution should "jump out", the following workings are maybe slightly tricky but should lead you to an answer. Some restrictions should probably be on x and y in this tbh but oh well
Reply 6
This is a Bernoulli type.
If you rearrange it to give dydx=yxxy \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{y}{x} - \frac{x}{y} so you should be able to see it is form the form dydx=p(x)y+q(x)yn \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = p(x)y+q(x)y^n .
So we multiply through by y y and make the substitution v=y2 v=y^{2} . Then you can use an integrating factor.
Original post by NeverLucky
Are you given a substitution for that question? Usually you're given a substitution to use for a differential equation using substitution.

No substitution, I'm supposed to know how to work out what the substitution should be (which I don't). Also there are initial conditions given that y0=1 and x0=0
Original post by B_9710
This is a Bernoulli type.
If you rearrange it to give dydx=yxxy \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{y}{x} - \frac{x}{y} so you should be able to see it is form the form dydx=p(x)y+q(x)yn \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = p(x)y+q(x)y^n .
So we multiply through by y y and make the substitution v=y2 v=y^{2} . Then you can use an integrating factor.

May I ask why you multiply through by y y before making the substitution? Won't it work anyway using the substitution without multiplying through?
Original post by NeverLucky
May I ask why you multiply through by y y before making the substitution? Won't it work anyway using the substitution without multiplying through?

Yeah but multiplying gets it into the standard form from which can easily see can be done via this sub
Reply 10
I get y2=Ax33x \displaystyle y^2=\frac{A-x^3}{3x} for my GS.
Original post by EnglishMuon
Yeah but multiplying gets it into the standard form from which can easily see can be done via this sub

Hmm I'm a bit confused. If you multiply through by y y , then won't you get...

ydydx=y22xx2? y \dfrac {dy}{dx} = - \dfrac {y^2}{2x} - \dfrac {x}{2} ?

And surely dydx=y2xx2y \dfrac {dy}{dx} = - \dfrac {y}{2x} - \dfrac {x}{2y} is the standard form? Which can obviously be rearranged into:

dydx+y2x=x2y \dfrac {dy}{dx} + \dfrac {y}{2x} = - \dfrac {x}{2y} which is of the form:

dydx+p(x)y=q(x)yn \dfrac {dy}{dx} + p(x)y = q(x)y^n
Reply 12
At a glance, you might be able to get away with making the sub u=yxu = \frac{y}{x} directly without any Bernoulli stuff.
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
At a glance, you might be able to get away with making the sub u=yxu = \frac{y}{x} directly without any Bernoulli stuff.

That was my first thought, seems to work out. Get the same solution as above.
Reply 14
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
That was my first thought, seems to work out. Get the same solution as above.

Nice, thought so; thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest