The Student Room Group

Phil Hammond going to China for trade talks,

But why don't China ask for the rail gun from BAE systems that they are making for the US? They have a lot of money, and Britain is open for business.

If and when the final version of the railgun becomes completed it would be a great weapon for any major power.

I don't doubt that in a war economy the UK would have access to such a weapon. Hence I am quite confident in this country's ability to defend itself in the event of WW3, we have great military tech.

The Chinese obviously have leverage but they are still a little behind the US in terms of military capability. Coincidentally Britain has some exceptional military tech companies.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because China would a- not get it and b- rather build their own.

And, the Chinese are still "a little" behind the US in terms of capability? Not quite, they're about 30 years behind...

I'm not sure I follow your post, anyway. It doesn't really read very well. How is it a coincidence that Britain has some good military tech companies?
Original post by Drewski
Because China would a- not get it and b- rather build their own.

And, the Chinese are still "a little" behind the US in terms of capability? Not quite, they're about 30 years behind...

I'm not sure I follow your post, anyway. It doesn't really read very well. How is it a coincidence that Britain has some good military tech companies?

a. Why?
b. Why?
Selling military tech to the Chinese.

That's a ****in brilliant idea.
Reply 4
Original post by James.Carnell
a. Why?
b. Why?

A- The UK and US governments would veto the sale and they know it, so no point asking.

B- because they're trying to prove they're not as far behind as they are, and because of a.
Original post by Drewski
A- The UK and US governments would veto the sale and they know it, so no point asking.

B- because they're trying to prove they're not as far behind as they are, and because of a.

FTFY.
Original post by JamesN88
Selling military tech to the Chinese.

That's a ****in brilliant idea.

I'd prefer it if the UK did not act like the US's puppy. Especially if it is a Trump Presidency.
Reply 7
FTFY.

You just repeated what I said...

And in fact, the rail gun is under the development of the US branch of BAE, the one that's run and operated with US oversight so that it qualifies for US government contracts and uses things developed by US engineers, do obviously it comes under the US government's oversight system.

I'm struggling to see why you think that's a- wrong, b- new or c- something worth pointing out considering its blindingly obvious to anyone with half a brain.
Original post by Drewski
You just repeated what I said...

And in fact, the rail gun is under the development of the US branch of BAE, the one that's run and operated with US oversight so that it qualifies for US government contracts and uses things developed by US engineers, do obviously it comes under the US government's oversight system.

I'm struggling to see why you think that's a- wrong, b- new or c- something worth pointing out considering its blindingly obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Why?
Reply 9
Why?

Why what?

Are you incapable of asking coherent questions?
Original post by Drewski
Why what?

Are you incapable of asking coherent questions?

I think it is you that has misunderstood.

I am reporting you for your aggression.
this thread is bizzarearino.
I think it is you that has misunderstood.

I am reporting you for your aggression.

I'm more than happy to say I haven't understood what you've written.

Because what you've written is barely English.

However, what you interpret as aggression is bizarre. Can I ask how old you are?
(edited 7 years ago)
+1 for the thread being bizarre.
Anyone figured out what its going on about or why he is proposing this?

Why would we want to give them top military tech? This is especially so as we are more likely to be in confrontation with them in the coming years.

It would be vetoed by the US and UK if it was of such an advanced nature to endanger national security.
^ WW3.
^ WW3.

You're not helping your 'not bizarre' claim.
at least it aint Boris who is going!
(edited 7 years ago)
But why don't China ask for the rail gun from BAE systems that they are making for the US? They have a lot of money, and Britain is open for business.

If and when the final version of the railgun becomes completed it would be a great weapon for any major power.

I don't doubt that in a war economy the UK would have access to such a weapon. Hence I am quite confident in this country's ability to defend itself in the event of WW3, we have great military tech.

The Chinese obviously have leverage but they are still a little behind the US in terms of military capability. Coincidentally Britain has some exceptional military tech companies.

The Chinese certainly have a larger military (and growing) however the actual technology itself is not outstanding and one on one there are several nations who could sink or destroy their Chinese counterparts (this may explain why China has not yet challenged the US in its global roles, instead it angers its local inferior rivals and cements its position).

Unfortunately for the UK we don't really spend on the military and have grown to outsource too much (the F-35 for example) however what we do build domestically (primarily the navy) is utterly world class. The type 45 destroyers and Astute Class subs for example could reasonably expect to defeat almost anybody one on one.

Personally though i think people fear China's rise too much. Russia is the agressor, China should be brought into the fold. .
Original post by Rakas21
The Chinese certainly have a larger military (and growing) however the actual technology itself is not outstanding and one on one there are several nations who could sink or destroy their Chinese counterparts (this may explain why China has not yet challenged the US in its global roles, instead it angers its local inferior rivals and cements its position).

Unfortunately for the UK we don't really spend on the military and have grown to outsource too much (the F-35 for example) however what we do build domestically (primarily the navy) is utterly world class. The type 45 destroyers and Astute Class subs for example could reasonably expect to defeat almost anybody one on one.

Personally though i think people fear China's rise too much. Russia is the agressor, China should be brought into the fold. .

Nukes? Nukes buy the Chinese and Russians time to catch up.
Nukes? Nukes buy the Chinese and Russians time to catch up.

They've been trying for 40 years.

Still behind.

Quick Reply