The Student Room Group

Anyone else prefer pubs/bars/cafes to clubbing

I always find clubbing awfully forced if I'm not smashed. I much prefer to sit in a bar with friends and have one or two drinks.
There are quite a lot of factors which make me dislike clubbing. It's cramped and sweaty, full of strangers, it's too loud so I can't talk to anyone, a lot of guys are there for the sore intention of pulling, same music, same songs, clothes end up full of alcohol and I always need a shower coming back, coming back at 4AM and not getting a good night sleep, I always end up losing the people I go with, crazy people in the bus stops or at least intoxicated, too many dickeads there, by that I mean people have no inhibitions, people would disrespect others in which they would not normally do outside that location.
I mean I don't know how some people go all the time, it's quite bad for health to frequently binge drink too. I go when it's someone's birthday or something like once every 3 months.

I'd also much rather be in a relationship than pull a random stranger. Like what future does that hold?

EDIT: I should have mentioned the toilets are disgusting and I hate standing throught the whole night.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Only if the pub has a pool table. Can't stand just sitting around a pub and chatting. We could have just got some beers in and had a drink at someone's house instead, would have worked out much cheaper and we wouldn't have to listen to other drunks getting loud and lairy and singing football songs.
The amount of perspiration and loudness is not even worth paying to get in. I rather be sitting in an independent indie cafe. :yep:
Aged 20, I definitely preferred clubbing. Now, I resonate with your above points and prefer pubs or even just cans at home.

Perhaps you're slightly more mature than I was...
Reply 4
I definitely prefer a pub or a cafe. I never got the appeal of getting drunk. Just tipsy is fine for me. And clubs seem like something you either need to be drunk or on drugs for (or both). So if I'm meeting up with friends we'll just either go to a pub or cafe, walk around and sit outside chatting if the weather is nice, or go to someone's place.

It's also why I hate even the idea of uni halls. Because majority of people in halls are first year students and a big part of them just care about going out and getting drunk and then they come back in the middle of the night drunk as **** and waking everyone else up.
I prefer clubbing and a dance floor to a too high of a stool at a damn bar.

However, I will always love a good house party hunny. That way you can get up to some thangs! :wink:
Original post by Devify
I definitely prefer a pub or a cafe. I never got the appeal of getting drunk. Just tipsy is fine for me. And clubs seem like something you either need to be drunk or on drugs for (or both). So if I'm meeting up with friends we'll just either go to a pub or cafe, walk around and sit outside chatting if the weather is nice, or go to someone's place.

Pretty much ... the only time I've ever enjoyed clubbing is when I've been very drunk and/or on drugs.

Bars are one of my passions. I've worked in them, supervised them, helped promote them and ultimately love spending time in them and checking out new ones. I love getting out with a good friend or a small group and going to old English pubs, modern pubs, wine bars, cocktail bars ... especially if its one I haven't been to before! :smile:

Cafes don't really do anything for me unless I'm vacationing in Europe.
Clubs are detestable unless you're drunk. Being drunk however is very enjoyable and a club is the ideal place to be drunk and converse with other drunks. A pub or cafe is good, but I'm only going to be there for an hour or so (if that) while I fill my face.
Original post by Diego Costa
Clubs are detestable unless you're drunk. Being drunk however is very enjoyable and a club is the ideal place to be drunk and converse with other drunks. A pub or cafe is good, but I'm only going to be there for an hour or so (if that) while I fill my face.

Agreed, I did used to enjoy it when I was drunk, but that was maybe because the alcohol made me not give a **** about those factors I hated.

But I don't think it's a good idea to get smashed to often, I mean because I hate hangovers and because of long term health reasons.
Yeah I prefer sitting at a café from all the options. I'm Muslims so that influences my choice because clubbing is Haram but I would rather sit at a café with friends and chill. I see no point of clubbing even if I was not a Muslim..it's just dancing and drinking.
Reply 10
Original post by Diego Costa

That's the thing, I never enjoyed being drunk. Maybe because my mind doesn't really shut off and I over think everything. I prefer just a few drinks to give you a slight buzz and that's it. Probably why I can't enjoy clubs
Yeah me for sure. I think a lot of students especially in first year sort of go out cuz it's the thing to be done and once one person says let's go out everyone else does....they soon come to enjoy having a nice meal and a few beers at the pub more and then crashing out in front of match of the day after a long day instead of clubbing in a heaving sweaty joint which you won't pull at anyway haha
Clubbing is just offputting. There are certains groups of people who are found in clubs, and its not usualy those who you would want to be friends with.

This is literally the clubbing culture, so no thanks. :sick::sick::sick:

[video="youtube;kdemFfbS5H0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Many would agree.

Clubs are just pick up spots for a lot of people.
As a student DJ, I often play music for my university club nights. The main college union building has a nightclub and a bar, and I have played at both.
In the club, I find I can express myself with my talent for mixing music better, as it's an environment that is more suited to my musical taste, however, if I'm not currently the DJ, I don't get to express myself in quite the same way. I'm not a dancer, and before I got into DJing, I didn't really go to clubs.
In the bar, you do, of course, have to play lighter music, that people can hear themselves over. I'm more than OK with that, but I prefer to DJ in the club. When I'm not the DJ, I'm concentrating on conversation rather than music, so if I'm not the DJ, I'd prefer the bar. With that said, some of my friends who also DJ play too loud for me to hear the people I'm talking to, in which case, wherever the music is better, or wherever I can hear my friends.
Reply 15
Original post by neal95
Yeah me for sure. I think a lot of students especially in first year sort of go out cuz it's the thing to be done and once one person says let's go out everyone else does....they soon come to enjoy having a nice meal and a few beers at the pub more and then crashing out in front of match of the day after a long day instead of clubbing in a heaving sweaty joint which you won't pull at anyway haha

Yeah, that's why I hate the idea of halls. If you're in halls you'll be surrounded by people getting drunk and going to clubs. And usually, if you don't go with your flat mates you end up as an outcast cause that's what everyone else is doing.
I prefer pubs too. Only Club I really like is the chocolate biscuits you get after donating blood! Well and Barnet FC
Original post by Devify
Yeah, that's why I hate the idea of halls. If you're in halls you'll be surrounded by people getting drunk and going to clubs. And usually, if you don't go with your flat mates you end up as an outcast cause that's what everyone else is doing.

This was accurate to my experience of university. Every single one of my course socials in the past two years were just awful clubbing events, so if you didn't enjoy it you were SOL. Really sucked.
Precisely. Why anyone would think some overcrowded club with deafening music and potentially people doing drugs in the loo is better than just a drink and a chat at the local pub, cafe, etc.?
Reply 19
Original post by spleenharvester
This was accurate to my experience of university. Every single one of my course socials in the past two years were just awful clubbing events, so if you didn't enjoy it you were SOL. Really sucked.

Yeah, I just said F it and rented a flat privately. Similar price as the halls and I don't have to deal with people going out. Sure it's not that social but when the other choice is like that? I'll take living alone any day

Quick Reply

Latest