The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is gambling a waste of money

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
£80 for a jacket is a bargain!
Either way the odds of winning anything on gambling are against you, the odds of that jacket wlking away five minutes later arent good. So Jacket.
image.jpgYeah of course it's a bargain the retail price was £215 it's a Calvin Klein jacket you get what you payed for, trust me gambling is a serious addiction
Original post by struggler07
image.jpgYeah of course it's a bargain the retail price was £215 it's a Calvin Klein jacket you get what you payed for, trust me gambling is a serious addiction

I cant see the logo though. Imo, i'll only buy an expensive jacket / clothes if the logo is distinct for everyone to see. If you wear that, i wouldn't know its expensive
What's worse if you gamble 40-£60 a day and you don't get nothing back or buying expensive clothes like jackets for £80 a lot

Gambling is cancer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DrLovejoy
Gambling is cancer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? How much did you lose from it?
It's at the side of the arm it's a nice jacket though
Reply 106
Nothing wrong with it if it gives you enjoyment and you can afford any losses.
Biggest waste of time and money why do you say it's like cancer btw
It's like throwing money away, it's a bad addiction the money you've wasted could be used elsewhere
It's like throwing money away, it's a bad addiction the money you've wasted could be used elsewhere

Why do you assume people can't gamble recreationally? It's also not throwing money away if you win

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's on the right or left arm
What if you spent like £100 but can't afford to live trust me it's gonna be hell
What if you do it everyday end up losing like over £1000 a month, I guess it's okay once in a while
Original post by Persipan
It's like any other kind of entertainment. That's like asking whether going on holiday is a waste of money, or going to the cinema, or whatever - the answer depends on the individual and their circumstances; and how much value they place on whatever level of enjoyment they get from it.

That's a reasonably good answer,however it's not that simple.

Because the majority of gamblers* aren't getting as much pleasure out of it as they think they are but even if anyone doesn't believe that, gamblers are among the worst people for self knowledge so the idea that they can make informed choices as to the value of what they are doing is doubtful.

Notwithstanding that however,there is an interesting 'paradox' to this gambling question.

Those gamblers who are betting in the way they are advised to do so in books and on forums and gambling advice websites are nearly all wasting not only their money but something more precious,time.

But those gamblers who like to have £5 or £10 accumulators each week and don't do anything else are probably getting value for money even though they will lose 40% + of their stakes.

This is because they invest little time but receive a great deal of utility from the anticipation of their bet and the sheer excitement afforded them in the time it takes for one of the selections to go 2-0 down.

Most gambling,if done 'properly'involves a great deal of tedium while affording little chance of regular profit.

* at least I think the majority bet mainly singles,could be wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ano123
Gambling can be fun, I was going to put £10 on Leicester to win the league, I think the odds were around 70/1. Never did it in the end because people say it won't be worth it, well I wish I had now. I'd be £700 up. Would have made the end of the season more exciting too.

Betting on long term markets is definitely a good way to spend £10.

Even if Leicester had failed to win its very likely that you would have gained more than '£10 worth ' of pleasure from the bet.

Of course Leicester was an outlier but a £10 bet on sensible selections usually provides a great deal of interest and entertainment without incurring the dubious aspects of gambling.
Original post by I feel myself
Go say that to that guy who put £5 on Leicester last season and won £250,000

Best to wait 10 years to see whether he gambles it all away again.:smile:
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Wrong. You wouldnt say spending £10 on a cinema ticket is a waste of money, neither would somebody placing it on a football match of which he would not have had previous interest

Paying £10 to watch 99% of movies is indeed a waste of money.

I didn't even know it cost that much. :frown:
Original post by Associativity
You'll never (or as good as never, incredibly unlikely) make a profit in the long run, the odds ect will almost guarantee this. They are a business like any other, they're in it to make money. If you could really go there every day and stand a realistic chance of leaving with more than you came with, then they'd have gone bust pretty quickly. I personally wouldn't find emptying my pockets into a fruit machine every day particularly entertaining. Each to their own, but I think I'd rather get a hobby, and spend the money on something useful instead. Or you could save up for a holiday, do some sports, go out for a meal, go to a cinema/music concerts, and get out and enjoy yourself with friends instead.

Many bookies have in fact gone bust or out of business over the last 40 years.
My mums a gambling addict who lives on benefits she can't pay all her debts and bills, she was overdrawn by a grand life's hard on benefits

May I ask what form of gambling she is addicted to?
Original post by I feel myself
Some people do it as a form of entertainment. What's different between betting £50 on the euro, and spending £50 in the club on a night out

The ideal is to combine both. No better feeling than being very happy in a club after a nice touch.

The women just gravitate towards you. It's the law of nature or something.:smile:

Latest