The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

120 Credit points

I am a student who may study mathematics at Bristol in this September. I know the all modules are compulsory in the first year. For the rest of year, can you take more than 120 credits? .
Are you saying you want to take more units than is required in a single year? I'm not a maths student but that's pretty much unheard of, unless I've misunderstood of course.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Random_PC_Errors
Are you saying you want to take more units than is required in a single year? I'm not a maths student but that's pretty much unheard of, unless I've misunderstood of course.

In maths,all modules are optional apart from first year..
So can I take the units that will accumulate to more than 120 credits point in the second year or later year...
Your not going to be allowed to take more than 120 credit points in a single year and your entire degree is worth 360 (you can ask for more units/credits, but you'll get some funny looks from your department and most likely be told to go away). Year 1: 120 Points (Mandatory)Year 2: 120 Points (Optional)Year 3: 120 Points (Optional) Total: 360 In second and third year you will be allowed to pick optional units (from a pre-determined list) totalling 120 credits.each year. Does this help?
Reply 4
Original post by Random_PC_Errors
Your not going to be allowed to take more than 120 credit points in a single year and your entire degree is worth 360 (you can ask for more units/credits, but you'll get some funny looks from your department and most likely be told to go away). Year 1: 120 Points (Mandatory)Year 2: 120 Points (Optional)Year 3: 120 Points (Optional) Total: 360 In second and third year you will be allowed to pick optional units (from a pre-determined list) totalling 120 credits.each year. Does this help?

yes, that helps..thanks...
Reply 5
Original post by wiredapple
In maths,all modules are optional apart from first year..
So can I take the units that will accumulate to more than 120 credits point in the second year or later year...

... and to quote chapter and verse from the regulations:

"The normal requirement for each full-time year of undergraduate study is not less than 120 credit points and not more than 130. The University does not encourage students to take more than the required units for the programme. However, if a student chooses to do so they will be required to pay a fee for the additional units and neither the credit nor the marks accumulated will count towards their final award.

"The attainment of additional credit points in any curriculum year cannot be carried forward in such a way as to reduce the volume of credit that must be taken in any succeeding year, or to accelerate a student's progress towards any award."

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/academic-quality/assessment/regulations-and-code-of-practice-for-taught-programmes/programme-design/
''required to pay a fee for the additional units and neither the credit nor the marks accumulated will count towards their final award'' So you've got to be mad to do extra units then :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending