The Student Room Group

EPQ - events that have impacted on the British economy

The working title of my EPQ is "Which post-war event has been the most economically significant in terms of impact on the British economy?"

I aim to discuss the impacts of five different events, and at the moment I am thinking of talking about: 1967 pound devaluation, 1973 oil crisis/three day week, winter of discontent, Black Wednesday, 2008 crash and Brexit.

That's six so I would have to eliminate one - any ideas on what I should choose? Or are there perhaps other events I could talk about instead?

Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place,

Thanks a lot if you can help.
Original post by joddcfc
The working title of my EPQ is "Which post-war event has been the most economically significant in terms of impact on the British economy?"

I aim to discuss the impacts of five different events, and at the moment I am thinking of talking about: 1967 pound devaluation, 1973 oil crisis/three day week, winter of discontent, Black Wednesday, 2008 crash and Brexit.

That's six so I would have to eliminate one - any ideas on what I should choose? Or are there perhaps other events I could talk about instead?

Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place,

Thanks a lot if you can help.

Hi! I'm afraid I don't know anything about history or economics, but I would suggest maybe dropping Brexit, as it is still an ongoing issue and therefore may be more difficult to write about?
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi! I'm afraid I don't know anything about history or economics, but I would suggest maybe dropping Brexit, as it is still an ongoing issue and therefore may be more difficult to write about?

Yeah this is something I was considering. The fifth issue I would talk about would be written up around October which still gives time for events to unfold, but then again it may be a while until the full economic effects have started, thanks for the help :smile:
You could talk about the return to the gold standard in 1925 - really messed up the economy
It was post WW1 so I guess it still counts
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joddcfc
Yeah this is something I was considering. The fifth issue I would talk about would be written up around October which still gives time for events to unfold, but then again it may be a while until the full economic effects have started, thanks for the help :smile:

No problem! Good luck with your project! :h:
Reply 5
Original post by hellomynameisr
You could talk about the return to the gold standard in 1925 - really messed up the economy
It was post WW1 so I guess it still counts

I was thinking more post-WW2, but that may be something to consider actually. Heard about it but don't know too much about it, sounds something like I would enjoy researching though - thanks for the suggestion!

Original post by Leviathan1741
No problem! Good luck with your project! :h:

Thanks!
I think that you could add Brexit in the introduction or an appendix, as the EPQ doesn't need a definite conclusion - it can say what next? If you have any EPQ questions, feel free to PM me as I did it this year. I also did Economics A2, but sadly my EPQ wasn't economics focussed.
I can't help with topics, but I really like your idea! Good luck with writing- it sounds very interesting :smile:
Also you could set it out in chapters, I think there's a book called with something like six moments that changed history in the title, have a look for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Edminzodo
I think that you could add Brexit in the introduction or an appendix, as the EPQ doesn't need a definite conclusion - it can say what next? If you have any EPQ questions, feel free to PM me as I did it this year. I also did Economics A2, but sadly my EPQ wasn't economics focussed.

Original post by Edminzodo
Also you could set it out in chapters, I think there's a book called with something like six moments that changed history in the title, have a look for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea actually, haven't thought of that. Chapters I was sort of planning anyway, but I will definitely have a look at that book to get an idea of the format, thanks. Thanks a lot for the PM offer, if I need help I'll drop you a message :smile:

Original post by elena2710
I can't help with topics, but I really like your idea! Good luck with writing- it sounds very interesting :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile: hopefully the finished project should be really interesting
Original post by joddcfc
Good idea actually, haven't thought of that. Chapters I was sort of planning anyway, but I will definitely have a look at that book to get an idea of the format, thanks. Thanks a lot for the PM offer, if I need help I'll drop you a message :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile: hopefully the finished project should be really interesting

No problem. I just looked for it and I think the title is more like six moments of crisis or something. Hope you can find it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest