The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SGHD26716
I reckon this series will take a similar turn to the India-England 2014 series after India won the 2nd test.

I said the same thing :lol:

It looks very possible. England bat long and hard and then bowl the opposition out easily with the scoreboard pressure even on a flat pitch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rooooooooooot! Outstanding innings.:yes: Certainly an upturn from the first test. Well played. Guess England will go hard from now and put Pakistan in straight after Tea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
worlds best bowler figures 1 for 186
Reply 1443
The pitch is so dead. Nothing for the bowlers
Original post by SGHD26716
The pitch is so dead. Nothing for the bowlers

shane warne would have found something
Original post by Chakede
worlds best bowler figures 1 for 186

Don't worry, even the best have off days :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pakistan have been batted out of the game and the pressure has got to them... could easily see an innings defeat. Bowling was below par and Hafeez needs to go. Appalling opener.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do you need Anderson and Broad when England have Woakes! Exciting series from him so far! Well done. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Told you the Lords result was a one off for Pakistan, I have a feeling they will get hammered in this match. West Indies arent doing too well as well.

We need a two tier test system ASAP with WI, SL, Bang, Zim and Pak ( possibly) in the 2nd division*
Cricket's such a funny sport sometimes. Amazing what a 500+ deficit can do to a team's mindset.
Except for Misbah, Younus, Amir, Yasir, Shafiq, and Sarfraz... I'm not seeing anyone else justify their space in this test team. The opening partnership is the biggest challange for the PCB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
Pakistan have been batted out of the game and the pressure has got to them... could easily see an innings defeat. Bowling was below par and Hafeez needs to go. Appalling opener.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like Hafeez should only be in the team if he is allowed to bowl. Just as a batsman, he really isn't good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1452
Hats off to West Indies. They now trail by less than 400 runs.
Original post by moment of truth
I feel like Hafeez should only be in the team if he is allowed to bowl. Just as a batsman, he really isn't good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even think that warrants a place... rather put a new young deserving opener and add a 5th bowler.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hafeez is an utter fraud - doesn't deserve his place. The total is imposing but what's problematic for Pakistan is the way they go for it. Plodding defensive shots continually thus putting themselves under pressure. England just have to bowl in the right areas regularly enough. Plus they can hold their catches. Masood was good for his runs though. Pakistan to be following on tomorrow. Only weather can save the visitors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1455
Sensational from Joe Root. You rarely see the perfect Test innings these days, but over the course of 24 hours in the Carribbean and Manchester respectively, we've seen Kohli and Root deliver a masterclass in patience and Test batting perfection.

All the talk will be of a Root - and rightly so - but it's worth remembering he had able partners today. Woakes was key in the morning, digging in and frustrating Pakistan during a period of time which would have seen the game swung to the visitors favour had Woakes fallen early and Pakistan taken a couple of wickets.

Likewise, Stokes and Bairstow proved themselves again and hopefully this means the former is back to full fitness. The latter should be in the side regardless of whether Buttler comes in at some point in the near future.

Pakistan offered little with the ball, to be honest. I think Yasir was probably a little guilty of upsetting his rhythm. He seemed to drift balls in towards the batsmen low, rather than the nice looping flight he garnered at Lord's.

Full credit to Woakes, who again proved himself indispensable right now and key with the ball, and Root, who was just brilliant at scoring and running between the wickets today.

Who'd have thought a Yorkshireman would have been so warmly received at Old Trafford?*
Original post by Enginerd.
I don't even think that warrants a place... rather put a new young deserving opener and add a 5th bowler.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's true. Plus as an opener, he just isn't good enough.

Pakistan definitely do need to think about a good 5th bowler for the rest of the series.
Reply 1457
Pakistan's lack of bowling depth exposed them - but Root's patience bodes well for England, giving his promotion from 4 to 3 in this series. He can help mould the top order of England for the next decade, because yesterday's performance was probably the finest innings at 3 England have enjoyed since Trott in 2010 down under in Melbourne.

Root's effort yesterday is even more impressive - and refreshing - when you realise Nick Compton contributed 296 runs in seven Tests/13 innings since his recall.
image.jpeg

Someone musta' cracked this bich already but here you go...
Pakistan behind by 391, yet no follow-on. Classic Cook.

Perhaps he was concerned by the effect Misbah's decent spell at the crease has had on the bowlers.

Quick Reply

Latest