The Student Room Group

I am a Christian but I may be bisexual... Please help

I feel that I might have some homosexual attraction as well as heterosexual. I've always kept this hidden in my mind and never thought about it even though I've always known this deep inside my mind. I might be somewhat sexually attracted to males.

I need help because I know that God strongly disapproves of homosexuality and bisexuality is basically 50% homosexuality. So clearly this is a sin. However, I was born again and I have started a new relationship with God ever since I started to put my faith in Jesus Christ as my Saviour a few years ago. Yet I have these tendencies. What should be the solution for me?

I want to love God and I know I am a sinner like everyone else and that we humans have all fallen short of God's expectations of us. Yet I feel that I am constantly disrespecting God with these feelings. I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I feel that I might have some homosexual attraction as well as heterosexual. I've always kept this hidden in my mind and never thought about it even though I've always known this deep inside my mind. I might be somewhat sexually attracted to males.

I need help because I know that God strongly disapproves of homosexuality and bisexuality is basically 50% homosexuality. So clearly this is a sin. However, I was born again and I have started a new relationship with God ever since I started to put my faith in Jesus Christ as my Saviour a few years ago. Yet I have these tendencies. What should be the solution for me?

I want to love God and I know I am a sinner like everyone else and that we humans have all fallen short of God's expectations of us. Yet I feel that I am constantly disrespecting God with these feelings. I don't know what to do.

You're not disrespecting God with these tendancies - just try to refrain from acting upon your feelings. God is testing you.
I need help because I know that God strongly disapproves of homosexuality and bisexuality is basically 50% homosexuality.

God doesn't disapprove. It is people who disapprove in God's name. God made you the way you are and if that means you are gay, then so be it. Being gay is not a state of mind - it is almost certainly genetic, although unfortunately when men wrote the Bible they didn't know about the genome. It is who you are. Don't pretend to be someone you are not for the sake of what others think of you.

Good luck!

I need help because I know that God strongly disapproves of homosexuality and bisexuality is basically 50% homosexuality. So clearly this is a sin. Howeve

You don't know this. You know that the writers of the Bible believed this, but that doesn't make it true. God loves you, regardless of your sexual orientation. So, you need to love yourself too.
Original post by ByEeek
God doesn't disapprove. It is people who disapprove in God's name. God made you the way you are and if that means you are gay, then so be it. Being gay is not a state of mind - it is almost certainly genetic, although unfortunately when men wrote the Bible they didn't know about the genome. It is who you are. Don't pretend to be someone you are not for the sake of what others think of you.

Good luck!

Looks like you beat me to it. This is exactly right.
Reply 5
Is swearing a sin? Is dressing provocatively a sin? Is disrespecting your parents a sin? Is putting things before prayer a sin? Blaspheming?
Yes.
There is no sugar coating. Any of these things are as bad as being homosexual in the eyes of God, yet these things are accepted by those who scorn homosexuals. In my opinion, we do stuff wrong, try to not do so much wrong, but if you apologise for it before you die, then God will forgive you with an open heart. So the next time you see someone who has a go at a homosexual prompt them with this.

But not only does it say that God will forgive us, it says we should love our neighbours so those who hate homosexuals are sinning as badly as a homosexual. And whilst homosexuality is a sin it is as with any sin ask and you will be forgiven, any who do not forgive you of this sin have sinned in the eyes of God.

So it is nothing to worry about.

I also know that it is proclaimed as a sin in the old testament. These were commandments to God's people the Jews. And in this way it makes more sense, the last thing you want if you want your people to survive is for them to be sleeping with people of the same gender as this prevents them having children, which are necessary for the continuation of God's people.

Either way you look at it, in the bible it says it's a sin, in the bible it says God will forgive your sins.
Reply 6

You sound like one of those Pentecostals/Baptists who puts too much weight on the Old Testament.

Christ taught love, and that it's the most important thing. Everything we do it sinful, if you want to be completely too the letter about it. If you feel angry at someone, you've murdered them in your heart; if you've been attracted to them, you've committed adultery with them in your heart. So you're guilty of sin whether you've been attracted to a man, a woman, or a mountain goat.

I have been a Christian since I was fifteen. I have ploughed myself into some pretty deep theology for much of that time, and can find no basis in Christian law for a special condemnation for homosexuals.

I am also bisexual, though I am mostly attracted to women. I can tell you with authority that bisexuality is not 50% homosexuality. It's an attraction to the person themself, with much less attention paid to gender or genitalia. The soul, you might say. And remember, the soul has no gender.

Personally, if I had been in a relationship with a man, I'd rather stand before God at the end of my life and say 'I loved this man.'

I know that God strongly disapproves of homosexuality

No, you aren't that special.
Reply 8
Original post by ByEeek

Good luck!

Couldn't agree more ,my daughter is gay and I couldn't be more proud of her ,since she came out she is a different person ,and although I suspected her being gay she had to wait until she was ready to admit it to herself ,she's free now.
To be honest you have to choose between your religion and your sexuality.Christianity has been oppressing gay people for centuries but it wasn't always so.Homosexuality has been a part of all societies since the beginning of humanity for example the ancient Greeks and the ancient romans it's also observed in bonobos which are our closest living relative in the animal kingdom.This suggests that it is perfectly natural and not something to be ashamed of anymore than say having green eyes is.Religion is a choice,sexuality isn't.

You need to ask yourself sceptical questions about Christianity. How do you know christianity is right compared to all the other myths that humans have invented? Why did God wait 9 billion years to create earth then another 4.5 billion years to create humans and then he reveals himself to an illiterate tribe in the middle East? What about all the millions of animal species that went extinct before then?What was their purposes?How do you know christianity isn't just wishful thinking because humans are scared of death?

Honestly I could go on but ultimately nobody knows what happens after death and anyone who says different is a liar.This doesn't make life meaningless it makes it more precious more meaningful because you have less of it so every moment becomes more valuable.Honestly just question what you've been taught only then can you be free to do whatever the heck you want.Just my thoughts.
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll take these into account.
Original post by Robby2312
To be honest you have to choose between your religion and your sexuality.Christianity has been oppressing gay people for centuries but it wasn't always so.Homosexuality has been a part of all societies since the beginning of humanity for example the ancient Greeks and the ancient romans it's also observed in bonobos which are our closest living relative in the animal kingdom.This suggests that it is perfectly natural and not something to be ashamed of anymore than say having green eyes is.Religion is a choice,sexuality isn't.

You need to ask yourself sceptical questions about Christianity. How do you know christianity is right compared to all the other myths that humans have invented? Why did God wait 9 billion years to create earth then another 4.5 billion years to create humans and then he reveals himself to an illiterate tribe in the middle East? What about all the millions of animal species that went extinct before then?What was their purposes?How do you know christianity isn't just wishful thinking because humans are scared of death?

Honestly I could go on but ultimately nobody knows what happens after death and anyone who says different is a liar.This doesn't make life meaningless it makes it more precious more meaningful because you have less of it so every moment becomes more valuable.Honestly just question what you've been taught only then can you be free to do whatever the heck you want.Just my thoughts.

If you're not a Christian, I don't need your advice tbh

:rofl: I know lots of Christains who are pro-LBGT including old generation.
Fine.I was trying to help you because I'm a nice person.But if you want to believe the creator of the entire universe really cares where you put your dick be my guest.You're only going to hurt yourself.What does it matter to me really? You're being closed minded if you disregard my opinion simply because I'm not Christian.
(edited 7 years ago)
x

I am also Christian, and bisexual, and as others have posted don't put too much weight in the Old Testament. Jesus taught love and acceptance, and make sure you extend both of those things to yourself and your sexuality.

Haven't you heard of Milo Yiannopoulos?
The act is forbidden, but the feeling can occur and so we must refrain from it. Not a christian btw, but know it is not allowed in christianity. Not the christianity you see today where people just follow as they desire unfortunately.
Your number 1 problem is that you believe in fairy tales in the 21st century. That is by far the most worrying thing about this whole situation. Its an absolute disgrace as a grown man. People get laughed at when they believe in the existance of Tinkerbell, but not when they believe in a man in the sky even though the two are literally the same?

You can believe in whatever you want for all I care, but dont expect people to take you seriously.

PS: I honestly dont want to be overly rude or make you feel bad. Just to get that out of the way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Galaxie501
Your number 1 problem is that you believe in fairy tales in the 21st century. That is by far the most worrying thing about this whole situation. Its an absolute disgrace as a grown man. People get laughed at when they believe in the existance of Tinkerbell, but not when they believe in a man in the sky even though the two are literally the same?

You can believe in whatever you want for all I care, but dont expect people to take you seriously.

^^^^^^^^^
If you're not a Christian, I don't need your advice tbh

I don't think this attitude is helpful, you have a religious conviction that goes fundamentally against your sexual orientation. The only reason you're not stoned to death or otherwise persecuted is because you most likely live in a well developed Anglophone country which keeps religion moderate.

There are three main ways to reconcile it a) reconsider whether your religious conviction is okay to discriminate, b) reconsider whether your sexual orientation is indeed bisexual, c) reconsider whether the religious scripture suggests that having homosexual thoughts makes you a terrible person worthy of hellfire.

A lot of people opt for (b), which only suppresses the feeling. If your religious faith doesn't prevent you from asking questions, then you might opt for (a). Some people in this thread are telling you (c).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending