The Student Room Group

Body Image Issues?

Does anyone else have problems with the way they look? I'm not big at all, but I'm still not happy with the way I look. I have naturally thick thighs and wide hips, and I hate it. I hate how I'll never have slender skinny legs like some girls and models. I've had a problem with my body for a very long time, and its come to the point where I don't even enjoy food anymore; I cut calories obsessively. I was diagnosed with EDNOS a couple of months ago.

Does anyone else have the same problems?
Original post by drowzee

Not quite the same ones, but I do have body image issues more generally.

I hope you're not too badly affected by yours. :hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Not quite the same ones, but I do have body image issues more generally.

I hope you're not too badly affected by yours. :hugs:

I'm working on it. I hope you feel better soon :lovehug:

The highlighted parts are literally me! I'm small, but I have a body exactly like that. Sometimes I think it makes me look a bit cartoonish. :/ I'm ngl, I'm envious of your boobs :lol: It's great that you're more or less confident though, and good luck with your diet! :h:
We're never satisfied with how we look or what we have. There will be people who look at you and wish they had your features or body shape or whatever. And we do the same when we look at others.

Happens to guys too, some feel they're always too skinny or not muscular enough, and have a distorted view of themselves, despite being perfectly fine (I've been guilty of this).

You just have to remind yourself that your body is unique and suits you the way it is, if you don't like a certain aspect, work on it in a healthy manner and don't be too harsh on yourself, you are your own worst critic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lord Samosa
We're never satisfied with how we look or what we have. There will be people who look at you and wish they had your features or body shape or whatever. And we do the same when we look at others.

Happens to guys too, some feel they're always too skinny or not muscular enough, and have a distorted view of themselves, despite being perfectly fine (I've been guilty of this).

You just have to remind yourself that your body is unique and suits you the way it is, if you don't like a certain aspect, work on it in a healthy manner and don't be too harsh on yourself, you are your own worst critic.

Aw this really made me feel better, thank you! :hugs: People tend to think body dysmorphia is only an issue when it comes to women, but men definitely have the same problem, especially body builders.
Bodies are strange :s-smilie: I'm technically underweight but my calfs (calves?) are huge, almost bigger than my thighs I think which I hate. Yet my hips and ribs stick out really obviously and I have virtually no fat above my waist other than a bit on face and lower arms. Body shapes vary and everyone's different, what's important is how you feel though- 99% of the time other people won't even notice :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drowzee
Does anyone else have problems with the way they look? I'm not big at all, but I'm still not happy with the way I look. I have naturally thick thighs and wide hips, and I hate it. I hate how I'll never have slender skinny legs like some girls and models. I've had a problem with my body for a very long time, and its come to the point where I don't even enjoy food anymore; I cut calories obsessively. I was diagnosed with EDNOS a couple of months ago.

Yes definitely, I find my issues link very closely to depression and anxiety. Food is definitely an issue for me too (however I don't want to go into detail on here). But yeah, it's all really *****y tbh.
Reply 7
Original post by furryface12
Bodies are strange :s-smilie: I'm technically underweight but my calfs (calves?) are huge, almost bigger than my thighs I think which I hate. Yet my hips and ribs stick out really obviously and I have virtually no fat above my waist other than a bit on face and lower arms. Body shapes vary and everyone's different, what's important is how you feel though- 99% of the time other people won't even notice :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm I guess. It's just that I'm still not comfortable wearing particular clothes because of my thighs. I wish we were all more confident!

:hugs:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Yes definitely, I find my issues link very closely to depression and anxiety. Food is definitely an issue for me too (however I don't want to go into detail on here). But yeah, it's all really *****y tbh.

Oh yes, mine too! It definitely links to my depression that's for sure.
Original post by drowzee
Hm I guess. It's just that I'm still not comfortable wearing particular clothes because of my thighs. I wish we were all more confident!

:hugs:

Oh yes, mine too! It definitely links to my depression that's for sure.

Yeah am the same. The last week's been a nightmare being so hot as everyone expects me to wear shorts and I hate it :redface: confidence would help so much though! Hope things get a bit easier soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep
Yeah, I mean I've always been larger than average but that's because I just have a solid build (and I love to eat and not exercise lol). Like my whole body is just wide and I tend to look really short because of this. I'm definitely fat (and I'm trying to fix this but it'll take a while) but I used to be really really self conscious about it.

I would never go out in t-shirts and stuff where you could see the shape of my body, always wearing a jacket to make it look like I'm not as fat, but nowadays I don't mind as much. I mean I still care and I'll probably never be satisfied with how my body looks but that's just how I am.

Of course I'll try to lose the weight off but I'm content like this and the way I present myself is no longer affected. What changed? I think I just realised that I am my own worst critic. I always see mistakes in myself way more than other people do. People don't notice your imperfections nearly as much as you do.

Spoiler

Original post by drowzee

The unique differences bout yourself could well mean the difference when a lad chooses his special one for life. Because thats all women are good for after all, sex..... I mean marriage.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes I can relate to this.
I used to be skinny growing up and then as I went through puberty, I did put on some weight. I still wish I was skinny as I was when I was younger and I wish that I had slimmer legs, flatter stomach etc...I have had body issues for the longest time and I have had huge calorie cuts and there are also some times when I binge eat. I am slowly starting to accept my body how it is even though it is really difficult. When you have so much pressure to look a certain way.

Quick Reply

Latest