The Student Room Group

How on earth do you not cheat?

Seriously boggles my mind how people manage to remain faithful to one person for years on end, especially if you're a man - we are biologically programmed to bone everything we can.

Like take marriage, how on earth do you stay monogamous for your whole life? Potentially you could end up having sex with just one person for the next 60 years or whatever.

You only have one life to live - why do people restrict themselves to only eating one flavour of pie?

Monogamy just seems like willful slavery to me!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Have you been in a relationship?

Having sex with someone you love is mind-blowing.
Original post by Esoteric-
Seriously boggles my mind how people manage to remain faithful to one person for years on end, especially if you're a man - we are biologically programmed to bone everything we can.

Like take marriage, how on earth do you stay monogamous for your whole life? Potentially you could end up having sex with just one person for the next 60 years or whatever.

You only have one life to live - why do people restrict themselves to only eating one flavour of pie?

Some people actually feel love for one person and don't want to cheat on them, not only because they've made the promise to them but also these people just wouldn't be able to cheat, due to their sheer emotion.

Others don't feel that love for that one person and don't care about the promise they've made. They use the philosophy `what they don't know won't harm them`because they're sick individuals with no morals.

You choose what category you want to fall into.

Oh and yes you're right fidelity is especially hard for men, since apparently there is a mediator between their head and their actions.
Are you a guy?
Reply 4
It's tough man can't lie. But your love and respect for your partner overrides your sexual urges if you find someone you truly click with.
dedication has no limitations
I don't get why its so hard when your with somebody that you love and respect :/

If you're struggling then perhaps you aren't with the right person? :s-smilie:
Because I would love the person im with so much i wouldnt want to be with anyone else.
Reply 8
Original post by Esoteric-

In my opinion, You wouldn't want to lose the person that meant everything to you, even looking at other girls wouldn't interest you, just because of the fact you are with the person that steps way above everyone else.

Lel.
I've remained faithful for the last seven and a half years because I've found everything I need and want in one person. If I ever did feel the desire to cheat then I would take that as a sign that something wasn't right in my relationship and either try and fix it or if it worst comes to worst, end it and then pursue any other relationship instead of cheating while in a relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread is stupid. OP is stupid.
Reply 12
You stay single..:h:
I suppose it's the difference between fake love and true love. Much of society is made up of fake love, with people desperate to get someone...anyone. I'd like to say these people are missing out, but they seem pretty boring on their own so they're never going to have an exciting relationship.
Close you legs, or keep it zipped up? Just an idea!
Well this is lovely :smile:
Original post by qasim-98
In my opinion, You wouldn't want to lose the person that meant everything to you, even looking at other girls wouldn't interest you, just because of the fact you are with the person that steps way above everyone else.

Yeah that's not really the way guys seem to think after a while, unfortunately.
Because they really love that person, and respect that person? Why would you have sex w/ someone else if you currently love the person you're with and respect their feelings?
(edited 7 years ago)
How difficult is it not to cheat?
If you are unhappy with your relationship, then leave the relationship.
If you don't understand monogamy and find having a meaningful, long-term relationship to be absolutely pointless then that's perfectly fine, and you have the right to think that. That being said I believe that it's a healthy choice to stay faithful because you are demonstrating that you have the capability to show respect, loyalty and love to a person other than yourself, whilst also upholding your own principles and your own sense of commitment.

I was able to understand this more when I grew older and realised the difference between infatuation based upon physical attraction alone, and love, usually in it's blossoming stages after a certain period of time, effort and commitment from both parties, where you are able to be wholly self-less and caring of something other than yourself. It may not be for everyone, and if you are personally struggling with the concept and believe that you have the potential to cheat, maybe it would be best to consider open relationships rather than committed relationships for now.

On a personal note, I doubt that I would ever be truly satisfied being in open relationships and having one night stands all of my life, because I find it to be a pretty meaningless and soulless existence. I gain so much self-worth and happiness from being committed to another person, and I understand that for some people that might not be the case and that there are other sources of happiness out there, but that's what I prefer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending