The Student Room Group

My Chances? reduced grades clearing?

Hello!

I am an international applicant.

I applied to a program, that I did not meet the educational requirements for - i am close but off by one grade.

i.e. need 4 a's i have 3 a's and a B/C.

I was told that my grades would be held as a query for reduced grades clearing in August.

The total number of seats in the program is 34. Only 12 seats have been confirmed so far.....basically those of you with experience in Clearing do you have an idea if I would be accepted?

Thanks
Original post by siddom
Hello!

I applied to a program, that I did not meet the educational requirements for - i am close but off by one grade.

I was told that my grades would be held as a query for reduced grades clearing in August.

The total number of seats in the program is 34. Only 12 seats have been confirmed so far.....basically those of you with experience in Clearing do you have an idea if I would be accepted?

Thanks
Nobody, not even the university in question, can tell you this now, because it depends on how many other applicants fail to meet the offer on results day. At least they haven't rejected you outright, so there is that.
Original post by siddom
Hello!

Thanks

not in clearing no if they were going to accept yo you'd know by checking track on results day if not you'll have to look for somewhere else if it still reads conditional you'll have to wait.
Reply 3
Original post by siddom
Hello!

Thanks

You will only be in Clearing if you get rejected by your original university. And, as carnationlilyrose said they haven't rejected you yet. So there's still a reasonable chance of getting a place.

Do you also have an insurance offer?

Also, it's unusual to have a 4 A-level offer. Which university is it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
You will only be in Clearing if you get rejected by your original university. And, as carnationlilyrose said they haven't rejected you yet. So there's still a reasonable chance of getting a place.

Do you also have an insurance offer?

Also, it's unusual to have a 4 A-level offer. Which university is it?

Its Ulster.

I dont get why I have been given an enquiry hold ---

When the school says they want AAB grades in 2x science courses -- I have a 79% in both Math & Chemistry plus a 79% in English 12. That is pretty much an A across the board ie AAA or if dont want to round the percentages to 80% then its a BBB grade. Am I wrong about this?
Reply 5
Original post by siddom
Its Ulster.

I dont get why I have been given an enquiry hold ---

When the school says they want AAB grades in 2x science courses -- I have a 79% in both Math & Chemistry plus a 79% in English 12. That is pretty much an A across the board ie AAA or if dont want to round the percentages to 80% then its a BBB grade. Am I wrong about this?

Sounds correct, and as you say yourself, it is also missing the requirement (narrowly) which is why you need to wait.
Ulster want AAA? You're being conned mate, it's a **** uni.. I wouldn't waste my time here, go into clearing and find something much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Ulster want AAA? You're being conned mate, it's a **** uni.. I wouldn't waste my time here, go into clearing and find something much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Science courses are always higher, like pharmacy for example, even lowly ranked Unis below 80 ask for As and one B
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Sounds correct, and as you say yourself, it is also missing the requirement (narrowly) which is why you need to wait.

Original post by mizzsnazzter

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is, in my university a 79% = B
At UK a 79%= B (narrowly an A)

Do I even have a shot or would you guys think not?

English, Math, Chemistry 12 = 79%
Math and English 11= 80%

I know it totally depends on the applicant pool -- but are my grades even decent?

Also, Ulster told me they have only 12/34 spots filled ...thats about 22 spots remaining.
Reply 9
Original post by siddom
The thing is, in my university a 79% = B
At UK a 79%= B (narrowly an A)

Do I even have a shot or would you guys think not?

English, Math, Chemistry 12 = 79%
Math and English 11= 80%

I know it totally depends on the applicant pool -- but are my grades even decent?

Also, Ulster told me they have only 12/34 spots filled ...thats about 22 spots remaining.

As I said already, you (and UU) won't know for sure until Results Day. But yes, you have a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
As I said already, you (and UU) won't know for sure until Results Day. But yes, you have a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

80%= A for uk UNiversity's

but at my Canadian school that is only a B.

Do you think the UK university takes that as a B or an A?

I mean are they using the percentage or the letter grade? for calculations.
At my uni 70%+ = A!
Original post by john2054
At my uni 70%+ = A!

OP is talking about Canadian equivalents to A levels, not university grades.
Original post by siddom
80%= A for uk UNiversity's

but at my Canadian school that is only a B.

Do you think the UK university takes that as a B or an A?

I mean are they using the percentage or the letter grade? for calculations.

We simply do not know. Call the university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending